electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Resonant Lopass Gate PCB's (New Batch 4/29/12)
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 36 of 38 [927 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 34, 35, 36, 37, 38 Next
macumbista

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jumunius wrote:
Mongo1 wrote:
So what's happened to Thomas? Did he stare at one of his MFOS sequencers too long, and fall into a trance?

I see him selling stuff on the MOTM list now and again, presumably slimming down his rig. Hey, if he needs money I'd bet he could make a couple bucks on some more 292s, but no idea why he gave up that venture.

If you read the thread closely, you will see that he had a kid on the way and a banker for a wife. I would put two and two together in such case... Rolling Eyes

roman_f

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

anyone can help me with the wiring layout?
the link on the website is dead ;/
davebr

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

roman_f wrote:
anyone can help me with the wiring layout?
the link on the website is dead ;/

Sure. I have a page on my Lopass Gate at http://modularsynthesis.com/nrm/lopass/lopass.htm.

You can find my email address on my home page. Email me your questions if they are long (I prefer over PMs).

Dave
tokyomatik

Audio files: 6

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

oh la la! i'm interested in 4, if they still available....how much??
fonik

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

fonik wrote:
Popcorn time

Mongo1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think we need to find out where Thomas lives, and all stand on his lawn holding signs imploring him to come back and make more LPGs boards.
Perhaps it would help if sang "Kum ba ya" Laughing

Gary
clee

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sorry for the hijack, but...

Not the Thomas White version, but I'll be doing a run of my LPG board. Thread over at Muffs,

http://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/topic-43766.html

Make sure you note that there are differences between my design and his. There is no switch on mine, mode and resonance is voltage controlled. Also there is no VCA only mode, just VCA/VCF (both) and VCF.

Please don't post about my build here, leave this thread TW only,
Craig

cleaninglady

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm trying to decide the best Vactrols to go for in this build.

It seems from one video of Thomas' that slower Vactrols are better for filtering functions.

Does slower mean better across the board ?

If not what are the advantages of fast Vactrols as opposed to slow ?
Mongo1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Generally, the fast vacs are more controllable, so you can do some really nice percussive sounds. The slow vacs sound great,but since they take awhile to decay, they will 'blur' fast strings of notes together. They each have strengths of their own.
I tend to use the fast vac to process percussive sounds and process sequencer sounds. I use the slow vac for melodies.
I think the short answer is 'one of each'

Gary
emdot_ambient

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If you search this thread you'll find that it's possible to use both fast and slow vacs with a switch to select between them. I've seen several builds with that feature, and intend to use it in mine (when I finally sometime maybe possibly get around to building mine!). Choice is a good thing, innit?
cleaninglady

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mongo1 wrote:
Generally, the fast vacs are more controllable, so you can do some really nice percussive sounds. The slow vacs sound great,but since they take awhile to decay, they will 'blur' fast strings of notes together. They each have strengths of their own.
I tend to use the fast vac to process percussive sounds and process sequencer sounds. I use the slow vac for melodies.
I think the short answer is 'one of each'

Gary

When you mention blurring of fast runs of notes , would that be when used in VCA mode ?

emdot_ambient wrote:
If you search this thread you'll find that it's possible to use both fast and slow vacs with a switch to select between them. I've seen several builds with that feature, and intend to use it in mine (when I finally sometime maybe possibly get around to building mine!). Choice is a good thing, innit?

I've just spent an hour going through the thread but can't find anything.

I'd really like to utilise this feature. Could you possibly point me to the relative info ? Embarassed
Mongo1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The 'blurring' I mentioned can occur in both the amplitude and filtering aspects. You can sort of think of it as an envelope generator feeding a vca and a filter. The blurring happens because the EG has a long decay, so both the filter and the vca remain active if they are being used (depending on the mode).
jumunius

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

cleaninglady wrote:

Sorry, I've read through this thread the whole way before. What a cruel thing he made you do! Crying or Very sad

Now try the switching vactrols thread. That must be what he was thinking of. Smile There's some link to muffwiggler there as well.

I never got self oscillating resonance out of the VTL5C4 and consequently I'm not completely enamored with the switch, personally. I think I'd rather just have 2 modules, one with each setting. Although the 5C3 is probably the winner in the end, if you want rhythmic and/or plucky sounds at least. It's the most unique.[/quote]

djthomaswhite

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sorry about this! The PayPal button I added to my cart is wonky. The old button worked fine. This one doesn't. Multiple orders will do it, or a PayPal to me at djthomaswhite@yahoo.com for $15 per board with RLPG Order in the order notes is just fine.

Board orders are being taken till January 15th at this moment in time. Demand is decent so I may keep the order open a bit longer but for now the 15th is the drop date for final orders. Boards take 2 weeks to get produced and shipped to me and I ship in a matter of days after receipt.

Thanks for all the interest so far!

Thomas

unterbit

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi there! 2 pcb please.coud be nice be informed when those in.
Happy New Year!
djthomaswhite

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The PCB's are being ordered per the pre-orders I receive. If you would like 2, please PayPal $30 to djthomaswhite@yahoo.com

Thank you!

Thomas

emdot_ambient

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jumunius wrote:
cleaninglady wrote:

Sorry, I've read through this thread the whole way before. What a cruel thing he made you do! Crying or Very sad

Hideing
Sorry! It must have been in the muffwiggler thread...I know it's out there somewhere. I frequent here and muff's and often get confused of where I am and where I've seen things. All I know is that on a long thread somewhere there were discussions on it. I haven't looked at the switching vactrols link...but anyway, I believe it's a 3PDT switch that's used.

The truth is out there (I just don't remember where). Embarassed

djthomaswhite

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Please do not place any more orders at this time. The boards have now been ordered per all payments received prior to this time. I would like to keep the order window open for everyone to get in on boards, but I can't. Contact me if interested in extras should I have any, but unless I do another batch there will be no more boards direct from me.

Thank you for all the orders. Boards should be delivered to me by end of January and shipped out within a week of receipt at my workshop.

arnoid

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I missed out the last order somebody got 2 pcb's extra he can miss ?
emdot_ambient

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sigh
I got stung by the wonky paypal button. I wanted 2 and thought I had processed 2 individual purchases, but now that I go back and check, I see I only paid for one

So much for ordering 2 dual front panels at once (still have 2 of these boards in my backlog).
doh

Anyway, my board arrived today.

knob_alchemist

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi! I'm started to build my dual RLPG....

For the CV IN, have I a trouble.... are these connections right?

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
fonik

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

looks good in general. what is the problem actually?

BTW you might want to refer to these sketches i made concerning potentiometer wiring:

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.[/url]

knob_alchemist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you Matthias for the explanation about the pot wiring...My another trouble was about using the direct 1V/Oct input with the attenuverter instead one of the 3 CV inputs...it's the same?
emdot_ambient

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

knob_alchemist wrote:
...using the direct 1V/Oct input with the attenuverter instead one of the 3 CV inputs...it's the same?

If you're only wanting to have one CV input, and have an attenuator on that input, then you're fine doing it as you posted (although I didn't verify that you've got the jumper set up correctly).

You could also use one of the CV mixer inputs to do it as you've posted, but there's no real advantage to that with just one input.

If you wire the direct 1v/Oct input as you've depicted, then the CV mixer would be availalbe to be used as an independent 3:1 mixer for any external use you might have. (But again, you'd have to double check how the jumper is wired.)

knob_alchemist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you, I hope to finish very soon my first RLPG...and I hope that will work Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 36 of 38 [927 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 34, 35, 36, 37, 38 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: