electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » General Discussion
Drum Machines
Page 1 of 2 [33 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
chaosMK

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 1:57 pm    Post subject: Drum Machines Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello,

I am new here and new to electronic music. I havent seen anything on drum machines in this forum so please let me know if I am completely in the wrong place. It seems like everyone uses software here to write.

I write a lot of odd-time/progressive music on bass and am looking for a drum machine/sequencer that has the capability to play in times like 7/8, 5/4, 13/8, but havent been able to find one that goes outside of 3/4 or 4/4. Any thoughts?
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi chaosMK
you're not in the wrong place, actually you are welcome
to write odd-time drum patterns a computer application would be the right tool Very Happy

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

chaosMK!
welcome

Seraph is right about that. A laptop with some suitable software is the best solution for that. You wouldn?t really need a new laptop either, if you want to send the midi output to an external sound module.

In fact, old Cubase 5.1 would do just fine.. and you could use an old mac or PC laptop for this.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
jksuperstar

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have an old Yamaha QY-70. I've never tried 13/8, but for the most part, you can set it to whatever you like (x/n style). It's very small & portable, though the sounds are Yamaha XG (eXtra Generic). But as a MIDI sequencer it works fantastic.
chaosMK

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the warm welcome and suggestions =)

OK, so what it sounds like is I should find a copy of Cubase and go from there. Do I need a device to get the sounds from (I took a MIDI class back in the day and this was how we did it-) like a keyboard? If that is the case, would a drum machine or groovebox be a substitute?

MKC
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

To get the sounds from... ? You are thinking about some input device that you can use to record events from?

One possible workflow is to program basic patterns using the mouse/a computer keyboard. You then use this as a click track and use something like a midi drumkit with pads.. like some Yamaha or Roland to input performances. You then edit the performances to your liking then construct the track using these new patterns. If you feel confident with rythms you can just as well use the mouse to write the patterns in the piano roll editor in cubase.

The reason why I suggested Cubase 5.1 is that this product is old, you can probably still get nonupgradeable versions for like 65 USD or something like that, and the interface is more intuitive than the new SX series. You?ve got everything you need in there and the software will also perform OK on older computers. If you get the 5.1 VST 32 you will also have notation, and a lot of plugins including some simple drum modules. These are OK for clicktracks.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

an old Atari computer with a compatible software sequencer would be up to the task too Very Happy

Quote:
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

True, that would do just fine too. Very Happy

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think any machine with a "last step" setting will do. Even the lowly tr-505 has one, I´ve done 7/8 and 5/8 on that one.
modulator_esp
Stream Operator

Audio files: 275
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I used to have a HR-16, it could have any pattern length you wanted and songs could be made up of patterns of different lengths

If you want to get into serious polyrythmic territory, something like a Doepfer Regelwerk allows 8 tracks of differing lengths to run simultaneously

Or you could as stated previously use a software sequencer

mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I like patterns of different lengths, but also different tempos. I prefer music with abmiguous tempos. When drum machines were first invented, that was bad enough. Then people started making music that was as only one tempo, like 132 or 123 or something that was much worse. When I first heard this I was pretty disappointed. I've learned to accept and tolerate what has become called Dance music, and everyone once in a while I hear something I like. I prefer IDM. Like lawyers, 4000 drum machines at the bottom of the ocean is a good start. Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
jksuperstar

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Like lawyers, 4000 drum machines at the bottom of the ocean is a good start

I had Jury Duty last week, and everyone told me "Just say your an engineer, or that 10,000 Lawyers at the bottom of the ocena is a good start". As it turns out, all the cases that day were settle out of court moments before they were due in court, so I'll have to save my humorisms for next time Smile
seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

modulator_esp wrote:
I used to have a HR-16

I had that too, it was a great little drum machine. you could pitch up or down any single sample. very nice

Quote:
Roland Kuit

Audio files: 8
G2 patch files: 127

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hahahah, Howard,
I like your sense of humor:), AND it will be a good idea because of the wave currencies, you will get some phase differences!
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 12:52 pm    Post subject: Dangerous Drums Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I must add my recommendation here.

I've owned quite a lot of drum machines over the last few years but the one that keeps bouncing back, one I never tire of, is built like a brick shithouse (and therefore works and works and works etc), is a complete digital 'analogue' drum synthesiser on every key (x2 as well- one for left and right outputs), Really GOOD resonating digital 12/24 db/oct high/low- pass filters, Microtuning, +/- 4 octaves tuning, envelopes on everything (well decay, but you similate attack using the backwards sounds), noise, sines tri's saw's, 808, 909, sample playback, writes in virtually any time signature you can throw at it;

Is my Yamaha RY30

You could read all the glowing reports on Harmony Central but what's the point? Go find one on ebay etc- you will not be dissapointed.

Tom :-)

PS, hello Roland (Kuit)!
Roland Kuit

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Tom,
do i know you from the London event:)?The Birmingham guy!
Didn't you gasp: "heee, without cubase?!!!"Smile

Last edited by Roland Kuit on Mon May 23, 2005 2:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OT: My favorite drum machine is this guy:

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

This guy is great too: http://www.spoonrecords.com/jaki2.html
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

roland kuit wrote:
Hi Tom,
do i know you from the London event:)?The Birmingham guy!
Didn't you gasp: "heee, without cubase?!!!":)

hmmm I have thought about this- I never went to the london event. I do however know another Tom in Brum (who's a synth nut too) who could be the Tom you met? I know you Roland from Justin Maxwell's now sadly defunked nordmodular list. Its been a year or so since I was last there- small children are hard work !

But 'live, without cubase' is definitely the way forward!
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:

This guy is great too:

'Oh yeah' (pun intended!!!)- the great Jaki Liebzeit! He's my wife's hero (as well as Sun Ra, Pharaoh Saunders, the Residents and many others)

Oddly enough some friends were hosting Damo Suzuki here in Birmingham only a couple of weeks ago!

Here's one of the pics I took.

l-r Damo, Fife Hutchins.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  63.79 KB
 Viewed:  16772 Time(s)

l-r Damo, Fife Hutchins.jpg

Roland Kuit

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Aha, you said Justin. Now i know. But not only small kids are hard work:(
Bigger ones are too!(1st small worries, later bigger worries, hope i don't dissapoint you:))))
Mohoyoho

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've sure been enjoying my Yamaha RM1X. I think it's great for percussion. You can import midi notes for a real time sequencer or use the step sequencer. It has tons of drum sounds as well as an ok VA synth. You can pick these up used for $250-$300. It's a slef-contained unit or you can plug in a controller such as a keyboard or drum pad.
www.cdbaby.com/cd/markmahoney
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck
http://cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck2
http://www.limitedwave.com/subterraneous/
paul

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

... what do you think about MachineDrum SPS-1 (Elektron)?
... maybe a little bit expensive but it's amazing!

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

paul wrote:
... what do you think about MachineDrum SPS-1 (Elektron)?
... maybe a little bit expensive but it's amazing!

A friend here in Birmingham has got one- pure 'electro-pop'! Yes it is a lot of money. If you can afford one, get one but personally if I was going to spend that much money, I'd get a Clavia G2 :)) Waay more versatile!
softroom

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm a big fan of the Korg ESX-1, especially in combination with a P3 sequencer. It's very instant yet deep enough so you won't get bored. And, of course, you can do some bizarre things beyond the scope of any drum machine if you send some additional triggers from the P3.

Paul

seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hi Paul
welcome to electro-music.com Very Happy

Quote:
Page 1 of 2 [33 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » General Discussion
Jump to: