electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » MusicFromOuterSpace.com designs by Ray Wilson
Wacky, Zany, Weird (and possibly Odd) Sound Maker Project
Page 8 of 9 [206 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 6, 7, 8, 9 Next
Joel

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi bob,

the WSG is very simple but there's some flexibility that means not every component goes into every WSG.

R1 connects the output from the noise generating circuit to a jack before going through the filter. Lorenzo's doesn't have a pre-filter output, just a post-filter output (i.e. where R16 and C10 connect to the jack) so R1 is not needed.

Similarly, you can duplicate the entire pre-filter section, so you get 2 wsg's in 1. The duplicate circuit (which Lorenzo's design does not incorporate) would connect to the pre-filter output with R2, hence R2 isn't included. The 2nd circuit would then connect to the filter via R3 (hence "from second circuit if needed" on Ray's schematic), so you don't need R3.

Hope that helps, good luck Exclamation
Joel
Chrometuna

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Joel wrote:
Hi bob,

the WSG is very simple but there's some flexibility that means not every component goes into every WSG.

R1 connects the output from the noise generating circuit to a jack before going through the filter. Lorenzo's doesn't have a pre-filter output, just a post-filter output (i.e. where R16 and C10 connect to the jack) so R1 is not needed.

Similarly, you can duplicate the entire pre-filter section, so you get 2 wsg's in 1. The duplicate circuit (which Lorenzo's design does not incorporate) would connect to the pre-filter output with R2, hence R2 isn't included. The 2nd circuit would then connect to the filter via R3 (hence "from second circuit if needed" on Ray's schematic), so you don't need R3.

Hope that helps, good luck Exclamation
Joel

OK, I think my little brain can start to digest that, thanks. (I think someone put a "Starve Knob" on my brain....then broke the knob off)

So I can assume that all of the other values for resistors and capacitors are the same?

ALSO: What if I just post a list of all of the parts I have laying around, and then you folks could tell me what I can build with them? Laughing

AND, Nice job with the CDROM drive! Thats pretty creative!

Cheers
bob c
Joel

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yep I'm pretty sure all the other values are the same as Ray's list (with the addition of Rk, the LED, and the volume pot, as mentioned in the info)... and as Ray mentions a 10% variation in any of the values won't matter, maybe you can cram in things you have lying about!

Chrometuna wrote:
AND, Nice job with the CDROM drive! Thats pretty creative!

Cheers, flattery will get you everywhere!! Laughing
YoSynthi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Joel,

Your CD-cased WSG is very cool indeed. How did you put on the labels and dial markings, etc? And what do they all mean ('Mod 1-2 freq', etc)? Have you added a few extra mods of your own?

YoSynthi
Joel

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi YoSynthi,

thanks for the feedback! My WSG was built using Uncle Krunkus's stripboard without any mods - I just labelled everything up as I wanted to be a bit clearer about what was going on!

To put on the face markings, I designed the front panel using the free Front Panel Designer software from Front Panel Express, then printed out from "outline mode" (to get black on white) and photocopied onto acetate - then I just trimmed it down, cut out the holes, and screwed it down using the pots and switches.... the front panel file is attached, feel free to muck about!

The labels are just what seemed logical at the time, so mod 1-1 and mod 1-2 both modulate oscillator 1 etc... the pictures here and here really helped sort out what was going on Very Happy

hope that helps! Joel

[EDIT] can't seem to attach front panel file, pm me and I can e-mail it! [/EDIT]
YoSynthi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Joel,

I received your front panel file via PM, no problems. It's inspired me to have a go with a couple of things myself. Thanks again!
Joel

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

no probs, looking forward to seeing the results!!
sohcahtoa

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here is my completed WSG cased in an old Radio Shack phone.

Details: I used uncle's stripboard layout
there are 3 switches, one SPST on the front of the phone, another uses the line one line two button on the right hand side and the final switch is activated if you pick up the phone.

Image(186).jpg
 Description:
WSG Phone
 Filesize:  18.92 KB
 Viewed:  10739 Time(s)

Image(186).jpg

Image(199).jpg
 Description:
WSG Phone 2
 Filesize:  19 KB
 Viewed:  10723 Time(s)

Image(199).jpg

Image(200).jpg
 Description:
WSG Phone 3
 Filesize:  19.07 KB
 Viewed:  10731 Time(s)

Image(200).jpg

Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very cool indeed.
Now to incorporate the number buttons into the circuit somehow.
That would look great being played live.

Pehr

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You could also incorporate the microphone Very Happy
http://www.garageband.com/artist/loxodrom
http://soundcloud.com/loxodrom
Joel

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

excellent work sohcahtoa Very Happy

I'd love to have that on my desk if I worked in an office....
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very nice... Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Chrometuna

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sohcahtoa wrote:
Here is my completed WSG cased in an old Radio Shack phone.

Details: I used uncle's stripboard layout
there are 3 switches, one SPST on the front of the phone, another uses the line one line two button on the right hand side and the final switch is activated if you pick up the phone.

ABSOLUTLY AWSOME!!!!!!

I still havnt finished my WSG yet ;(

My brain just becomes jello (Or Gelateno) when I dont have a PCB with an easy layout to just start soldering things in to.

Has anyone here invented a PCB that they'd sell (Or donate to a broke dork like me?)

The little PCB kits they sell at rattyold shack are tiny, and good for nothing. And I havnt found a good way to transfer a decent circuit image to the board for etching.
AdamB

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 4:39 pm    Post subject: layout done in eagle
Subject description: please help look for any errors
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey all!

Below is the layouts i did in EAGLE freeware version. I'm doing this so i can shrink the available board to the minimal size by offloading the pots, switches, and output jack to the panel face.

Now i've gone over the pdf of the schematics and cant find any problems. But i could use a second (or 3rd) set if eyes to look it over.

please point out any errors if you all don't mind.

Maybe if its ok, when i'm done i can get a few boards made for others, i'm trying to put it in a 3"x5" case

Please give it a look

Thanks!
ADam

I found one already. The cap , battery, and power switch are in the wrong order.

Razz

wacky 0.5.JPG
 Description:
Original ver with 3 inverters used
 Filesize:  84.45 KB
 Viewed:  10754 Time(s)

wacky 0.5.JPG

wacky 1.0.JPG
 Description:
Version with all inverters used
 Filesize:  117.29 KB
 Viewed:  10755 Time(s)

wacky 1.0.JPG

vibesmaster

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

can count me in for a pcb if they come out all good , not keen on the chemicals and stuff laying about with my daughter around
Narbotic

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:28 am    Post subject: WSG: The Gateway Synth Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh Buddha, the WSG has hooked me on DIY synthmaking. Did Mr. Wilson design this as a way to lure new blood into the scene? Perhaps a shrewd marketing ploy to sell Soundlab PCBs? Wink
I'm still in the process of casing mine up, (can't seem to stop playing with it long enough) and deciding if/how to add an input.

The info I've found here has been endlessly helpful. I think I've learned more in the last week than I have in the past year. Thanks! You've got a great community here.

Phallus Dei

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Seeing all this creativity has raised the bar for me! I must find an unusual case!!!
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: WSG: The Gateway Synth Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Narbotic wrote:
Did Mr. Wilson design this as a way to lure new blood into the scene? Perhaps a shrewd marketing ploy to sell Soundlab PCBs? Wink

Laughing I think Ray wants to promote DIY synth building, and he is too schrewd to think you can make any money selling Soundlab PCBs. He's in it for the fun of it, like most of the rest of us.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Phallus Dei

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm waiting on some parts that are "out of stock" damnit! Just one question, I got some capacitors that are Wima orange, and are 5 spots long, yet the diagram want them put into 3 spot-distances apart. This means my caps are too long, can I mount them remotely, and connect them to the veroboard using bellwire?
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Phallus Dei wrote:
Ican I mount them remotely

In general that is not a very good idea, if possible I'd advice to bend the legs and mount them where they should be. Using long wire might introduce unwanted inductance and the construction would be susceptible to picking up unwanted signals.

Narbotic

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:00 pm    Post subject:  Completed! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Aah, Finally done.
Of course now I want to upgrade. Still not quite sure where or if I can add an input. Would I just go to pin 14(VCC) on the 40106 where the +9v goes now?

WSG_v1_s.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  35.71 KB
 Viewed:  12139 Time(s)

WSG_v1_s.jpg

Phallus Dei

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That thing looks like it fell out of Fifty Foot Hose's touring van! Excellent work! I love the look of that thing, especially the vintage tophat knobs! A+!
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, looks terrific. thumb up
Narbotic

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
Yes, looks terrific. thumb up

Thanks! The feedback is much appreciated.
Seems like the perfect "intro to synths" project for me. The humor in the schematic really helped to break the ice. So much fun - I'm gonna take a stab at designing a baby synth of my own. Idea

Phallus Dei

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Right on! Build a monster!
Page 8 of 9 [206 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 6, 7, 8, 9 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » MusicFromOuterSpace.com designs by Ray Wilson
Jump to: