electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
The power to do my thang!- Introducing Mr Scott Stites :D
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 2 of 2 [49 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The Copenhagen lysergics still rocks. Dunno.. Perhaps this is a EU thingie.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

g2ian wrote:
surely it would be better to just duplicate its meager functions using readily available CMOS?

Or a processor, or a couple of processors, with voltage controlled clocks. I'm sure some PIC10 or 12 devices (costing about a dollar) could do miracles when properly programmed :-)

Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 96

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm not drawn to any cutlish or mojo-like aura of the SN76477 (though I am fond of the timbre of the PWM it produces). By the same token, in terms of scale, I would not list its assets as terribly meager.

Consider in one LSI you have an LFO, a linear VCO, a pre-randomized shift register with a controllable filter on the output, an envelope generator and a built in addressable mixer.

The noise generator pseudo-random length is adequate enough to have a fairly long cycle without repeating, which would take perhaps a couple of 4015's and EXOR's to randomize it. You'd have to rig a VCO and an LFO (triangle, mind you), a means to modulate one with the other, a mixer, and a at least one multiplexer. To control the level of the shift register out, you're going to need something on the order of a controllable amplifer or filter. For the output of the thing, a VCA would have to be rigged. Then of course, you would need rig a fairly simple EG.

None of that is rocket science. The point is, for a nice little accessory to the Sound Lab or something along those lines, this would be a means of producing some potentially interesting results with a minimum of circuitry. And, it would be a gas to do. Grab the SN76477, slap some extraneous circuitry to it, and go on your merry way. For me, that's the point of the idea.

A CMOS/Linear adaption (much more cirucitry) or a PIC or two (a little bit more circuitry and programming) would be preferable for numbers greater than a onesies/twosies. But, in that case, why emulate the SN76477?

Cheerio,
Scott
Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I agree Scott,
Sometimes we should play around with old technology simply because it's fun to play around with old technology. Cool

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Scott Stites wrote:

None of that is rocket science. The point is, for a nice little accessory to the Sound Lab or something along those lines, this would be a means of producing some potentially interesting results with a minimum of circuitry. And, it would be a gas to do. Grab the SN76477, slap some extraneous circuitry to it, and go on your merry way. For me, that's the point of the idea.

A CMOS/Linear adaption (much more cirucitry) or a PIC or two (a little bit more circuitry and programming) would be preferable for numbers greater than a onesies/twosies. But, in that case, why emulate the SN76477?

Exactly- it's missing the point. And despite the PIC idea being a cheap chip to buy- a fair amount of time would have to be devoted to programming it. Why bother with all that hassle if the chip to do it, is already there?

btw, I can tell you don't have kids Jan!!! Laughing

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Scott Stites wrote:
But, in that case, why emulate the SN76477?

True, why limit oneself Very Happy

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:

btw, I can tell you don't have kids Jan!!! :lol:

Hmm, but still have no time ...

Wild Zebra

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Allright, with all that being said. Is this a go. Have we gained interest?
I'll the electronic geniuses get it started. Sounds like it could be real cool. I chip, lots a fun, space invaders, dang.

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Okay- I've got to get these next couple of weeks out of the way (until the end of semester)- up to my teeth in assignments Sad

I'm well up for this (I may even treat myself to a PC (or get XP and run it under iEmulator)) so I can run schematic designer.

The actual circuit I reckon will be really easy. But I should add that there are different sized SN7's around. The one I sent you Zebra was the original sized one. Mine is much smaller (but not a surface mount type). It has an 'N' on the end I think.

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
Wild Zebra

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
I'm well up for this (I may even treat myself to a PC (or get XP and run it under iEmulator)) so I can run schematic designer.

I'll treat myself to a couple of beers in your honor. As soon as I get out of this bloody job!!!!! Well keep me posted anything I can do in my limited knowledge to get this off the ground.
Quote:
The one I sent you Zebra was the original sized one.

that suckers as big as a hissing cockroach

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes Beer! We're gonna need a lot of that too!!! Smile Especially when you realise that Mosc (or was it Stein?) has duped me into this position of moderator- and reckons I'm some super-duper electronics techie (Mr Bicycle repairman? Very Happy ) when I too am more of a 'paint by numbers' sort of chap! LOL!

got some new super- psychedelic prog CD on the turntable right now. I'm diggin' it!

yes everything's groovy Smile

I don't know if you can get it in the States, but one of my favourite bottled English beers is Theakston 'Old Peculier' 5.6%vol. I recommend you sink some bottles Smile

for the web-minded;

http://www.theakstons.co.uk/
Wild Zebra

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
I don't know if you can get it in the States, but one of my favourite bottled English beers is Theakston 'Old Peculier' 5.6%vol. I recommend you sink some bottles

Yes I can, I've had it in the past. I'll have to stop by the brew shop and pick a couple up. It's been awhile. Have to get reaqainted> We have a small place in the states called Rogue with some tasty heavy duty beers 1e. Dead Guy Ale, Arrogant Bastard, Double IPA, goog stuff.

dnny

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wild Zebra wrote:

well im interested - and i have been lookin that datasheet now for a while. so soon i will have some idea what is this ancient chip we are dealing here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Wild Zebra

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the link dnny. I hadn't seen that yet. Boy, that chip has alot going on. Let's exploit the heck out of it!!!
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wild Zebra wrote:
Quote:
I don't know if you can get it in the States, but one of my favourite bottled English beers is Theakston 'Old Peculier' 5.6%vol. I recommend you sink some bottles

Yes I can, I've had it in the past. I'll have to stop by the brew shop and pick a couple up. It's been awhile. Have to get reaqainted> We have a small place in the states called Rogue with some tasty heavy duty beers 1e. Dead Guy Ale, Arrogant Bastard, Double IPA, goog stuff.

There's litterally hundreds of different Ales in this country- but alas a lot of them are also dying out because of unscrupulous companies such as the US equivelent of Budweiser "Budweiser"- these piss artists make utterly shit beer, so when ever I can I go for The real Budweiser- brewed in the Czech Republic. Although I'm not really a lager fan- Budvar is nice on a really hot day Smile

Arrogant Bastard sounds good Smile 'Old Bill' used to be good to- and 'old bailey' too. Wells' Brewery's 'Banana Bread Beer' is a sure fired winner too in the bottled states- as is Bombardier.

getting thirsty now Very Happy

Wild Zebra

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:

getting thirsty now

me too!!

Quote:
Arrogant Bastard sounds good

Its not a promise, but maybe one of these days I'll send a sixer.

Is this a beer forum or an electronics forum?? Cool Laughing

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dnny wrote:
Wild Zebra wrote:

well im interested - and i have been lookin that datasheet now for a while. so soon i will have some idea what is this ancient chip we are dealing here.

I reckon so Smile

In the meantime, this was a site I bookmarked a while back. Most of its in German- but all the circuits are there. Check out the cute 'minisynth' SN7 unit. There was an identical circuit in ETI (Electronics Today International) in this country in the late 70's. I'd love to know what the stylophone unit sound like too Very Happy

That site:

http://home.pages.at/pullrich/m_music3.htm

Tom

dnny

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

have you seen this videoclip of SpaceSynth?
the SpaceSynths are made from the SN76477 (Space Invader) chips by Tony from ElectroKraft.

the video is great but the sounds don´t impress me - because whit one modded-WSG you could do almost the same and more.

so are there any samples where this chip is taken to it´s limits?

and if anyone knows where to get one of those SN7677 I'm interested -
so by experimenting i could learn more about this chip and finally fall in love whit it.

daniel
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmm- Blacet made a very similar device in the early 80's called the 'synbow'. But my idea was to use the SN7 as a modulation source, NOT a sound source. This way you can still use your favourite vintage sounding analogue monster instead of having to listen to just the SN7 sound source.

I'll have another look soon for the chip again (so you people can start experimenting!)

Tom

toppobrillo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:19 pm    Post subject: sn76477n'n Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hey-o

im a recent join of this electroforum thing.

i got one of those [complexsoundgenr8rs].. still in the package actually.
i haven't committed it to anything yet.

i have studied over every application for it i can find on the net.
which does not include schematics for the supercontroller, DSC or synbow,
unfortunately..

i would definitely like to see those too, so if any of you guys got'em and
wouldn't mind sharing a peek, lemme know. greatly appreciated and if i can be of any help to the cause i surely will.

byu the way, have youall seen the "arcade synth" PIC interface project for the 76477? i ran across it not too long ago.. checked it out?

joshr
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: sn76477n'n Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

topp wrote:

byu the way, have youall seen the "arcade synth" PIC interface project for the 76477? i ran across it not too long ago.. checked it out?

joshr

hello joshr welcome to electro-music.com Smile

How can we see this PIC interface thingie if you don't put a link to the site? Shocked Cool Very Happy

toppobrillo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

first see this:

http://experimentalistsanonymous.com/board/topic-79-0-15.html

then download this:

http://experimentalistsanonymous.com/diy/Schematics/Full%20Synths%20and%20Drum%20Synths/Arcade%20Synthesizer.zip

i am going to put this on the "sn76477" forum entry
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 213
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: sn76477n'n Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

topp wrote:
hey-o

im a recent join of this electroforum thing.

Yo! welcome

Great to have you here...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

nice one : that beatbox gif is similar to what Ive got in mind. But howabout we automate those pots too- using a simple step sequencer?

I'm looking along the idea of an analogue 'nanoloop' type affair- which can be interfaced to external v.c. gear etc Smile

This is a nice circuit and a good place to start Very Happy

cheers!

Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 2 of 2 [49 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: