electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Patch level puzzle
Page 1 of 1 [17 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
AngusHastie

Audio files: 2
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 5:04 am    Post subject: Patch level puzzle Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have run into a problem with independently controlling the patch level for slots containing the same patch (for example, if you want to split the keyboard and so you can play two variations of the same patch simultaneously).
Specifically, I copied the StringVariations factory patch (or loaded it independently) to slots 2 and 3 and split the keyboard. The patch level dial seems to affect both slots which is a problem if you want one side of the keyboard to be louder than the other - it's almost as if the patch level for each slot depends on the sum of the two patch levels. I have tried playing with some other Patch Settings and they seem to be happy working independently. I have also tried some other patches and it doesn't seem to be a problem, so I'm really at a loss to explain this. Is there something in the StringVariations patch that causes this?
Angus
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

When you haven't done so could you make a performance out of the patches (by going into performance mode and then saving the current performance to disk) and then send in the performance to the forum ?

The reason I ask for a performance is that it stores not only all of the patches but some extra stuff as well that might be relevant, like f.i. in what slot a patch is used.

It will be easier to say something that makes sense then.

Jan.
AngusHastie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here you go...
StringVariations patch loaded into slots 2 and 3 and split the keyboard. As you can see, I have turned the patch level on slot 3 down as far as it will go and on slot 2 at 0db, so I would expect to hear little or nothing playing the keyboard above the split point and to hear loud notes below the split point. But unless I turn down both patches, I still get loud notes above the split point from slot 3!!
Very puzzling, indeed!

[Blue Hell : I've removed the attachements, see below]
AngusHastie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh, I'm a Mac user.
If there's no way of converting a file to PC format from Mac, the performance just uses the stringvariations factory patch loaded into 2 slots either side of the keyboard split.
AngusHastie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OK, I give up - I can't get anything I download to work!
AngusHastie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok - I'll give it another shot. I seem to be able to post stuff up but when I download it again and try to open it in the editor, the software just shuts down each time.
Third time lucky?

[Blue Hell : This one works (maybe press CTRL+F5 to refresh), I'll remove the earlier attachements]

string thing.prf2
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  string thing.prf2
 Filesize:  10.72 KB
 Downloaded:  1227 Time(s)

triptonizer

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey I don't know if it's the same problem you're talking about but I just ran into some weird shit with patch levels myself - bug or feature? Say you have 2 patches loaded and want to balance the levels using the level knob for each patch in the editor; what happens is that when adjusting the level for patch A the patch B level changes too, very confusing. The balance between patches got all f*cked up without levels changing visually in the editor. Wish I could be more specific about what's goin on, but I was in the middle of a project and couldn't bother to do more testing. Maybe later on. Someone else encountered this? Is there some auto balance feature that prevents physical outputs from overloading? Both patches were sent to the same outs.
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Angus,

I can't explain exactly what is going on in your performance, but I can tell you how to fix it.

1) in your patch you are using Bus 1/2 to send the VA part to the FX part of the patch. Change that to one of FX 1/2.

2) in the FX section of your patch, replace the Input module with an FXin module.

That fixes things and makes it do exactly what you want, as far as I can tell.

I think that when you send the VA part of both patches to internal bus 1/2 then it doesn't matter what the patch level settings are, the highest one will win (sorta).

I'll tell you, fixing patches is easier than fixing attachment problems on the server... Laughing Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
jamos

Audio files: 4
G2 patch files: 41

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
I think that when you send the VA part of both patches to internal bus 1/2 then it doesn't matter what the patch level settings are, the highest one will win (sorta).

That explains a similar problem I'm having with the busses: all four slots are routed to bus 1/2, but slot C's master volume and mute do not work (slots A and B do, not sure about D.)

A bug?
AngusHastie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for that. Was beginning to drive me mad.
PS - hope you all watched our British boy giving the Khazakstani a good helping of shoe pie in the Olympic boxing. Now all we have to do is convince our athletes to stop crying and taking breathers two miles from the end of the marathon.
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jamos wrote:
A bug?

Could be, sounds like it. It might be related to the bug where variation changes mute audio channels under certain conditions.

I'd report it to Clavia.

For the variation related muting a bug fix seems to be in the pipeline, maybe your patches will be good testing material.

(or maybe one of the beta testers could verify this ? Sorry I'm not able to right now, things must work tomorrow :-)

Jan.
Afro88

Audio files: 12
G2 patch files: 79

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I had the same trouble with my performances for a while. It turns out when you turn the patch volume knob on the editor, it sends midi information through the G2's midi out. This was returning back into the G2 midi in through my sequencer, so changing one patch level changes others. Try unplugging the midi out of the G2 and see if that works - it did for me Smile Then you know it's a midi problem and you can filter the volume midi signals coming from the G2
AngusHastie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

How do you filter the volume midi signals?
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

AngusHastie wrote:

To my knowledge : not.

It would be usefull not only to be able to suppress volume, but for CC 70 (variation changes) it could be usefull as well.

In general I've been saying to myself on some occasions 'wish I could filter this out'. It might be a can of worms thing though ...

Jan.
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Afrokid wrote:
I had the same trouble with my performances for a while. It turns out when you turn the patch volume knob on the editor, it sends midi information through the G2's midi out. This was returning back into the G2 midi in through my sequencer, so changing one patch level changes others.

Damn it ... did it again ... wrote too soon ... as is if this machine is always more complicated than you think ... it's so easy to call something a bug where it turns out to be a twist of some feature ...

Jan.
Afro88

Audio files: 12
G2 patch files: 79

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

AngusHastie wrote:

Like Blue Hell said, you can't filter midi using the G2, but if you run the output of the G2 through a computer then a freeware program like MidiOX can be used. It can filter out almost any midi message.[/url]
AngusHastie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

... not great for live performance then, which is why I bought a G2 rather than use Absynth or Reaktor or something like that. As soon as you have to start hooking up computers to your equipment, that can of worms gets even bigger.
Page 1 of 1 [17 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: