electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Why does this patch sound so weird?
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
ark

Audio files: 13
G2 patch files: 31

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:12 pm    Post subject: Why does this patch sound so weird?
Subject description: I tried to create a simple FM patch and it doesn't do what I expected
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This should be a very simple patch: One sine wave frequency-modulates a second, which frequency-modulates a third.

What I find when I try it is that playing the same note several times in succession sounds different each time. Any idea what's going on?

Weird FM patch.pch2
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Weird FM patch.pch2
 Filesize:  1.17 KB
 Downloaded:  1367 Time(s)

varice

Audio files: 29
G2 patch files: 54

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It may sound different each time because you are triggering a new voice each time (16 voice count), and with each new voice, the phase relationship between the oscillators may be different. If you add a connection from the output of OscB1 to the sync inputs of the other two oscillators, this will force all of the oscillators to be in phase and should make each voice sound the same.

EDIT: Also, the waveform output from the second oscillator is not symmetrical about the zero level, which will cause the third oscillator to detune. If you use a Phase Modulation Osc for the third one instead, this detuning will not happen. From the online help about the OscPM:

"With this type of FM it is actually the phase of the waveform which is modulated, which means that the waveform is shifted forwards and backwards at a fast audio rate. The advantage of this method is that the modulation is not sensitive for what is named a DC component in the modulating signal. A DC component shifts the waveform upwards or downwards, making its long term average a positive or negative level. With true linear frequency modulation a DC component can detune the oscillator, which happens with the the oscillators with the FM Lin and FM Trk modes. But when the phase is modulated instead of the linear frequency parameter this detuning can never happen. This detuning is especially an issue when selfmodulation by feedback of the output to the modulation input is used. Selfmodulation works only reliable on this OscPM oscillator."

Roland Kuit

Audio files: 8
G2 patch files: 127

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Varice explained this good. I had that years ago with making FM hihats and other FM stuff(NM). There was no PM Osc yet. The way to set them in phase was to sync them with a trigger pulse.
You can get this pulse from your keyboard(see attached pch).

weird_fm_patch_208B.pch2
 Description:
syncing FM phase

Download
 Filename:  weird_fm_patch_208B.pch2
 Filesize:  1.19 KB
 Downloaded:  1304 Time(s)

ark

Audio files: 13
G2 patch files: 31

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Actually, using an OscPM does just what I want without fuss.

(What I'm trying to do is see if I can make a patch that sounds somewhat like the Ableton Live "Operator" soft FM synth)
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: