electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Like to hear other samples of the Arp from Fun with Sea Moss
Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Draal

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:21 am    Post subject: Like to hear other samples of the Arp from Fun with Sea Moss
Subject description: I just built the arp from the Fun with Sea Moss website and like to compare
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey all,

Been working on an arp from recycled parts of my old thermostat. Here's a quick snippet of how it sounds so far. It's simply connected to my Vox Pathfinder amp, then line out to computer, into Garage Band, no effects.

Since it's my first attempt with an arp, I'd like to get some feedback.

Arp.mp3
 Description:
Just some knob knobbin'

Download
 Filename:  Arp.mp3
 Filesize:  1.54 MB
 Downloaded:  1255 Time(s)

RF

Audio files: 28

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Whoo-Hoo!
Sounds great - I like the variable pulse width sounds going on in that - (that's one of my favorite sounds....)

Congrats - and great to see you here - Welcome!

bruce

"I want to make these sounds that go wooo-wooo-ah-woo-woo.”
(Herb Deutsch to Bob Moog ~1963)
tjookum

Audio files: 26

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi draal, welcome to the lunetta forum. Hope you find it as interesting as I do.

Sounds pretty sweet, you say you made that from a thermostat? Damn, I wish mine could do that Very Happy .

Haven't build the arp yet, but it's definately on my list. I would also recommend the 1-bit waveshaper from the same site. The 4017/4051 melodygen is also a nice addition to any lunetta machine, give it a search on the forum.

noise
Draal

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah, my old thermostat had a 40106, LM339 comparator, and a 4051 chip. I was trying to see if these parts could be used to modify my Atari Punk Console and then I stumbled into this forum. Then I realized I could make even cooler sounds than just modding an APC Laughing !

I've been thinking about that waveshaper too. I have a spare 4040 and 4051 lying around here I think. Your right on the mark; the melody generator may be a strong candidate for my next build! Very Happy
-minus-

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ah this is very interesting.... I'm yet to start "Lunetta-ing", but I'm thinking this is an excellent first build! Enough freaky blip randomness to build ones confidence and looks easy enough to comprehend. I bookmarked the Sea Moss page a while ago but haven't had a good enough look yet. Thanks for posting and reminding me about it!
Draal

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yep, the 1M pots have a high degree of sensitivity and I still get a smile on my face when I get dialed in just right and find an unexpected sound. Especially considering it's low parts count. Heck, I 'm still new to this stuff so I can't verify everything is "right"; but I am digging the pulsing beats this lil' guy can push out. There's some wacked out tempo changes that occur without me touching a thing - it'll go from a speedy little riff to a "finger on the tape head" effect, and eventually a solid tone...a dark, industrial machine this is Shocked
tjookum

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah that's what I love about all of this, it's really intuitive.

There really is no wrong in this kind of built, breadboard a few more IC's(remember to put a 100k at every input) and just start patching. For some more fun add a led between any outputs and watch it gate the signal.

noise
electri-fire

Audio files: 4
G2 patch files: 4

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sounds like you got it right, draal Smile . Not that I've built the Arp, but this sound totally Lunetta to me.

@tjookum: A 100k before every input? Why? I don't do that, but still works.

I do however confirm the need of sufficient resistance before any mixer/output opamps you Lunettists may be using.

My first version had just 10k before the opamp: not enough. Multiple oscillators into this crapped out.
Now I have three 100k inputs, and two 47K's. Both work, giving me two level options. Beavis' Heterodyne schematic uses 33k separating the oscillators before the final output. Did he test the minimum value?

(electri-fire doesn't breadboard, he's just soldering in parts that he has and work)
(yeah, stupid)
tjookum

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
@tjookum: A 100k before every input? Why?

Oops, I guess I meant put a pulldown resistor ON every input. For newcomers, use a 10-100k resistor to ground on every input if you don't have something plugged in all the time to prevent floating signals.

Quote:
Now I have three 100k inputs, and two 47K's. Both work, giving me two level options.

thanks, usefull handson information, gotta love it.

noise
-minus-

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just breadboarded this. Didn't have the right caps on hand... well I may have but I can't find them in this Lunetta clutter everywhere! ....so I used 0.1uF for all 4 caps. Same with the resistors. I used 10K as they were handy to me at the time. Getting slightly different results to you but much the same in many ways. Lots of high pitched blips! Not quite the variety of tone length as yours though... maybe I haven't left it on long enough yet! Yes, this isn't a bad device. I think I would like to experiment with it more. Thinking about how it could be built as a module into a Lunetta larger set up. I guess we could use any 3 oscs to select the output of the 4051. Works fine as a stand alone device but could be used as part of a larger system.

Anyway, here's another all time classic from Orange Dork Sudios, recorded in glorious mono:

EDIT: Just realized this is a very battery starved version!! Ha ha, was running on 3.4V!!! In other words, not a good example to compare with...

The Hare Krisna Robots (1960).mp3
 Description:
The Hare Krishna Robots (1960)

Download
 Filename:  The Hare Krisna Robots (1960).mp3
 Filesize:  675.43 KB
 Downloaded:  1351 Time(s)

Draal

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I liked that sample Smile . You're thinking like me; I want to make this more as a module as opposed to a stand alone thingy. So I figure to run AB and C out to jacks for a start. This will allow for ANY oscillator/clock combination. I suppose I could leave the rest of this circuit hardwired along the lines of the Melody Generator (I believe the 4051 and 4017 are hardwired in some spots while ABC, OUT, clock IN, EN, etc., are brought out to jacks).

The slightest tweaking of knobs on mine changes the sound fairly quickly. It's like surfing in a way; tying to find just the right balance before that big wave crashes on ya.
RF

Audio files: 28

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Draal wrote:
I liked that sample Smile I want to make this more as a module as opposed to a stand alone thingy.

Strong encouragement from me to do that! As stand-alones, a lot of these circuits are interesting - but when you start patching various bits together it's a new game....
I'm a fan of Bananna jacks - but there are lots of other patching options.

bruce

"I want to make these sounds that go wooo-wooo-ah-woo-woo.”
(Herb Deutsch to Bob Moog ~1963)
Draal

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Due to my budget ($$ going to baby's room - I'm gonna be a dad again in 2 weeks Very Happy ), I'm going to use what I have on hand; which is lots of bolts and alligator clips for now.

The stand alone method worked well when I was building fuzz pedals but now I am beginning to see the light in regards to lunettas. Open sandbox baby Cool !
Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Jump to: