electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Klee sequencer
Post Your KLEE Panels Designs Here
Page 15 of 16 [399 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 13, 14, 15, 16 Next
Inventor
Stream Operator

Audio files: 267

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I presume this will be a wooden Klee? Another fun build from wmonk!

Les

Skrog Productions

Audio files: 155

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

great panel design Thomas
kkissinger

Audio files: 41

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I finally designed my panel. I looked through many panels and this one caught my eye:

http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-21954.html&postorder=asc&highlight=klee+sequencer&start=298

This panel creates a separate section for the voltage programmers, the pattern programmer, and the gate bus switches.

I extended the concept and managed a design that fits nicely into a quadruple sized Aries panel (12" wide, 9" high).

When I get home this evening, I will post a pic.

I'm currently in the throes of wiring it up. I have all the strap wiring in place and am building the cables now. I hope to have it up and running within the week.

I'm really excited at the prospect of having a Klee Sequencer --

since I finished a pair of MFOS Voltage Quantizers, I've had a great time with my existing Aries Sequencer which is a very basic 8x2 design with no bells or whistles.

By far the most time-consuming part of the Klee Sequencer build has been to design a front panel. Thus, the thought of building a second one isn't so daunting to me now that I have a design.

It took an evening to drill my panel, though -- 107 parts -- **whew!**

And -- after I had it all drilled and labeled, I discovered that I left the clock LED off of the panel (I also mislabeled the 8x2/16x1 selector). Well, I managed to drill another hole for the clock LED -- ugh, what a stupid thing to forget! Probably the result of working too late with the onset of fatigue.

The mislabel was a cut and paste that I must have forgotten to change. It is a cosmetic issue that I'll fix later.

EdisonRex
Site Admin

Audio files: 172

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I forgot the random reference LED from my panel. Amazing how long one looks at the panel when one is designing it too... and still miss it completely.

Anyway, I look forward to hearing what you do with it.

Home,My Studio,and another view
psioniclabs

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Figured this is a good place to show off my panel rather than the troubleshooting thread I had it tucked away in. Wink

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
Danno Gee Ray

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Most Sick !!
Sound

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

psioniclabs, the job that you did is just amazing, sincerely congratulations.

Actually Im thinking in a future mod my klee with new features, and I was thinking in also make a PCB for hold the front panel components, do you have reference numbers of potentiometers and switches?
Sound

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ops! they are pots with led?
kkissinger

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That is awesome, psioniclabs!

My design is not so daring.

P3300003a.JPG
 Description:
This panel has a mislabeling error -- the switch marked "External, Internal Pattern" should be "Mode: 8x2 16x1. I had to sneak the Clock LED next to the Clock input jack on the right side -- it didn't show up very much in the picture.
 Filesize:  755.96 KB
 Viewed:  765 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

P3300003a.JPG

psioniclabs

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes sound I got the pots and switches both from Mouser:

Taiwan Alpha clear shaft pots:
Mouser Part #: 313-1400F-50K
Manufacturer Part #: RV141F-40E3-18BL-B50K

http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=RV141F-40E3-18BL-B50Kvirtualkey14860000virtualkey313-1400F-50K

Switches are Mountain Switches:
Mouser Part #: 108-0044-EVX
Manufacturer Part #: 108-0044-EVX
http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=108-0044-EVXvirtualkey12040000virtualkey108-0044-EVX

Mouser Part #: 108-0041-EVX
Manufacturer Part #: 108-0041-EVX
http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=108-0041-EVXvirtualkey12040000virtualkey108-0041-EVX

Mouser Part #: 108-0042-EVX
Manufacturer Part #: 108-0042-EVX
http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=108-0042-EVXvirtualkey12040000virtualkey108-0042-EVX

The switches sit a little bit higher than the pots, so it's good to add a thin washer to keep everything flush to the panel.

I detailed the whole process in a series of blog posts for my hackerspace group. The PCB and panel layout was all done together in multiple layers using Inkscape. I laid out the footprints for the switches and pots and moved them around as objects until I had something that would fit in a standard printable page. Then I drew the component traces to connect everything. I overlaid independent layers and put graphics/drill guides on those.

I made the PCBs from two graphic layers. Then I printed out the drill pattern on a single sheet mailing label. Just peel the sticky side and apply to the panel! Tap the centers and drill it out. Finally, the graphics were done with the top layer printed on another mailing label. Liberal coats of clear coat enamel were sprayed on top of that.

You can see that the actual cut steel panel is just slightly larger than a single 8.5x11 sheet of paper, so the edges are unfinished. Close enough though!

I've found this method to be incredibly cheap and easy to do with very good results!
Sound

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks very much for your reply psionicslabs. Do you have the link to that blog?
Last edited by Sound on Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sound

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

kkisinger you designg is pretty elegant.

What is the material? steel painted? how do you print the labels?
kkissinger

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sound wrote:
kkisinger you designg is pretty elegant.

What is the material? steel painted? how do you print the labels?

Thank you, Sound.

The panels are 1/16" aluminum painted satin black. I used Front Designer software to design the panels and used DecalProFX to create the actual decals.

fonik

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i still have a 2nd set of klee2 PCBs in the drawer and i toy with the idea of building myself a eurorack module from it despite my backlog)! currently i shrunk it to 60HP using pushbuttons with built in LEDs (as seen on my LPG with gate controlled mode). i would replace the manual range selection switch by a voltage controlled switch.

what do you think? ideas?

kkissinger

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

fonik wrote:
what do you think? ideas?

Very efficient design.

Perhaps if you went with narrow knobs (such as are used on mixing consoles) so that you gain a little more clearance for turning the knobs.

In general, I have (thus far) designed for a little more horizontal clearance than vertical clearance because when I grab the knobs, my fingers are on the left and right side of the knob.

To combine the switches with LEDs is a great idea -- and certainly a space-saver!

marmad

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Matthias - beautiful panel design. I would concur with kkissinger's idea about smaller knobs for a little more space between.

One other thing you might include (if it's important for you) is a switch for synchronous/asynchronous loading (although I'm not sure how it would fit into your design). I'm coming up with a simple mod for the Klee2 PCBs to provide that functionality if you're interested.
fonik

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks, marmad.

i think state machine offers a nice little project for synced loading. however, i am used to control my sequencers with dividers to keep/get them in sync. so no need for me.

good idea about the knobs! i wanted to keep it in a 16th row for clarity, so smaller knobs would be good. additional i thought about using slide switches for the gate buss. they need more space behind the front panel, but to the front end they are not in the way as toggles would be...

TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

On the topic of knob sizes, here are two sequencer knob strips I'm working on. Both design for 19 inch rack mount panels.

Bottom one is part of a P3, designed to use the 16mm ReAn soft touch knobs a lot of us use. OK to twiddle, but a bit restricted.

Top one is a section of a 'Milton', (I'm currently shaking a few bugs out of he rather idiosyncratic design to make the LEDs work better). Pots are slightly wider spaced, and I got some ReAn P400s from Mouser. Much easier to use. I'm not sure if Mouser stock these in spline fit - they ones I got were for 'D' shaft knobs. The 'Milton' parts I got came with some Panasonic PCB mount pots. A big thank you to Tom Arnold for the kit, and to Cynthia Webster for advice on how to upgrade the LED and output drivers.

There is a little mentioned factor to think about here though: the 'gearing' effect of knob diameter vs fingers. Small knobs are harder to get fine settings with. Having started out in life with old valve, (tube), based test equipment, where a small knob was typically 20mm/0.75" diameter, and the main controls likely to be over 35mm / 1.5", I can certainly see the advantage in a big, wide spaced panel. Not many of us have the sort of space Raymond Scott had though, or would want to do all that walking up and down the synth. Good quality mixer style knobs are certainly a good idea in multiple arrays.

Some of you may have detected a slight sequencer fetish going on here......

SeqKnobs.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  88.27 KB
 Viewed:  654 Time(s)

SeqKnobs.jpg

kkissinger

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:33 pm    Post subject: My latest panel Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This panel is similar to my 1st Klee Sequencer. My first panel had a couple of mislablings that I've fixed here.

The only thing I'd do differently would be to label the voltage programmers from 0 to 12 instead of 1 to 13. I just thought it would be fun to label them this way so the knob positions correspond to the notes when in the 8ve range.

KleePanel.jpg
 Description:
My Klee Sequencer Front panel (designed with Front Designer)
 Filesize:  128.36 KB
 Viewed:  1627 Time(s)

KleePanel.jpg

arnoid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Finished my klee sequencer on the 28 of december 2010 and it worked directly though some switches where reversed (wire's) but that was an easy fix Smile.

Verry powerful and versitale sequencer / tool !! I'm verry happy with it, the construction time was certainly worth the effort Smile

The module is 4U (serge) like the rest of my modules.
I based my design on Thomas white's design but made a more compact version.

Don't look to the ugly tape on the other new modules I still have to screw them into the rack...

IMG_5585.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  737.14 KB
 Viewed:  1526 Time(s)

IMG_5585.JPG

IMG_5597.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  700.07 KB
 Viewed:  1487 Time(s)

IMG_5597.JPG

IMG_5590.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  828.18 KB
 Viewed:  1511 Time(s)

IMG_5590.JPG

kleedef333.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  723.91 KB
 Viewed:  1570 Time(s)

kleedef333.JPG

haxster

G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am gearing up to make myself a Euro format Klee. I made a Front Control Panel PCB. I haven't ordered it yet. It's made to match the connectors for the Klee set. I don't know how I'm gonna mount the Actual Klee boards yet. Piggy back most likely. It is about 52HP wide

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.[/img][/url]
sneakthief

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The Bad Producer

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

now that is cool! very cool!
mig27

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:59 am    Post subject: Slide pots: Which lever length? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey everyone,

I'm about to order Bourns LED slide pots for my Klee and was wondering which lever length is recommended if I mount them à la Krunkus.

There are 3 versions available: 10, 15 and 19mm.
I guess the latter?

Thanks!

Michael
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
There are 3 versions available: 10, 15 and 19mm.
I guess the latter?

Yup, will give you the best resolution. Wink

I just stopped in to see the latest panels and stuff and man, I am impressed with all this great work !!!

Bill
Page 15 of 16 [399 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 13, 14, 15, 16 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Klee sequencer
Jump to: