electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » g2ools utilities
g2ools-1.5 nm2g2 and dx2g2 converters
Page 5 of 14 [326 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, ..., 12, 13, 14 Next
Hyde

G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

cappy2112 wrote:
Hyde wrote:
ok - i am using MacPython 2.5.

i did what you said and did the 'Get Info' and assigned the nm2g2.py file to be opened with Python Launcher instead of IDLE.

but now when i double click the 'nm2g2.py' file it opens up two Terminal windows - one of which says this (and i can't type anything into it:

Last login: Sat Jan 20 01:40:06 on ttyp1
Welcome to Darwin!
Hyde:~ Hyde$ cd '/Users/Hyde/Desktop/g2ools-1.0/' && '/usr/local/bin/pythonw' '/Users/Hyde/Desktop/g2ools-1.0/nm2g2.py' && echo Exit status: $? && exit 1
Exit status: 0
logout
[Process completed]

and the other one is just an empty Terminal window.

Instead of double clicking- why not just open a command window in the directory where g2ools are, and just run it from there?

cuz OSX doesn't work that way. something isn't right. it runs through and then says [Process completed] and you can't type anything else in that Terminal window. (sigh). i know this will all get ironed out sooner or later. just letting those who can code and know Unix what i am seeing when i try.

i am not a programmer. i'm a musician lol.
3phase

Audio files: 13
G2 patch files: 141

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hyde wrote:

and the other one is just an empty Terminal window.

How emty? can you type anything in there?
Hyde

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ugh - now its just opening the one Terminal window when i double click the 'nm2g2.py' file:

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

my machine is running tip-top. i know that's not the problem. anyone else have any ideas?
modular

Audio files: 5
G2 patch files: 72

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hyde wrote:
ugh - now its just opening the one Terminal window when i double click the 'nm2g2.py' file:

my machine is running tip-top. i know that's not the problem. anyone else have any ideas?

Just the same to me Crying or Very sad

Something doesn't work on OSX Rolling Eyes
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hyde wrote:

Ok, so it did run the conversion program using pythonw but it didn't get any instructions as to what patch should be converted, so it was done pretty quickly Smile

Is there no way to open a command prompt in OSX (as suggested by Tony) ? There must be, how about using an X windows terminal session, that one should do the trick I'd think.

3phase

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

whwn i open the app i get this message...
afterwards i can give the commands...

looks like that it still reffers to the directory adress i inserted once in the 0.x version of nm2g2.py

and my file is not on the desktop..its in the root directory...

so..have you edited the nm2g2 file with the directory adress of the phyton lib?

if yes you might try to put the folder on the main partitions root directory instead of any sub or sub sub folders...

Bild 5.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  15.22 KB
 Viewed:  21700 Time(s)

Bild 5.png

Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's how I did on OSX 10.4.8, using a command line:

I tried it first without installing anything, and got a weird exception, so I figured I'd install Python 2.5 (was 2.3 something).

* Install Python/Update to 2.5 by downloading from here: http://www.python.org/download/ (choose "Python 2.5 for Macintosh OS X")

* Open a terminal window (Program/Tools/Terminal - might be different since I only see my swedish locale version which is Program/Verktygsprogram/Terminal).

* Write "cd " followed by the path to your g2tools folder, e.g. "cd Desktop/g2ools-1.0/"

* Write "nm2g2.py " followed by the full path to your NM patch (or just the patchname if you put it in the same folder as g2ools), e.g. "nm2g2.py ~/Documents/Audio/nm_misc/sgm_git6.pch".

* Lots of text will be outputted, and a new file will be created at the same place as the original NM file.

I would also like to take a deep bow towards qfingers for realizing this project. Impressive. Very Happy

/Stefan

Last edited by Antimon on Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Hyde

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

[edit] instructions to follow...
Last edited by Hyde on Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Hyde

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Antimon wrote:

I tried it first without installing anything, and got a weird exception, so I figured I'd install Python 2.5 (was 2.3 something).

* Install Python/Update to 2.5 by downloading from here: http://www.python.org/download/ (choose "Python 2.5 for Macintosh OS X")

* Open a terminal window (Program/Tools/Terminal - might be different since I only see my swedish locale version which is Program/Verktygsprogram/Terminal).

* Write "cd " followed by the path to your g2tools folder, e.g. "cd Desktop/g2ools-1.0/"

* Write "nm2g2.py " followed by the full path to your NM patch (or just the patchname if you put it in the same folder as g2ools), e.g. "nm2g2.py ~/Documents/Audio/nm_misc/sgm_git6.pch".

* Lots of text will be outputted, and a new file will be created at the same place as the original NM file.

I would also like to take a deep bow towards qfingers for realizing this project. Impressive. Very Happy

/Stefan

well - i tried. i opened Terminal and typed this:

cd Desktop/g2ools nm2g2.py ~/Desktop/g2ools/testenv.pch

and then it said:

-bash: nm2g2.py: command not found
3phase

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

the program dont costs any money... just costs some nervs to get tzhe phyton executed Wink

but as i said..once it started running..and dont ask me whay it works better for me than for you..

just..

a permission repair dont hurts and sometimes solves os x problems
Antimon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hyde wrote:
Antimon wrote:

/Stefan

well - i tried. i opened Terminal and typed this:

cd Desktop/g2ools nm2g2.py ~/Desktop/g2ools/testenv.pch

and then it said:

-bash: nm2g2.py: command not found

Ah... try ./nm2g2.py instead. If that doesn't work, try writing this strange line and then try with ./nm2g2.py again:

Code:
chmod u+x nm2g2.py

/Stefan

Hyde

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

my perms are fine. my Quad G5 is always 'clean'. the problem is this and this only:

i am not a programmer.

i dont know command line codes, Unix, and hardly software modular synthesis. i am a hardware guy. i find cool patches and change little things in them but i am by no means a 'patcher'. so. the reason it's not working is me. and i am doing my best to try to get it to. thanks for everyone's patience.
Hyde

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Ah... try ./nm2g2.py instead. If that doesn't work, try writing this strange line and then try with ./nm2g2.py again:

Code:
chmod u+x nm2g2.py

/Stefan

ok - it didn't work by just typing ./nm2g2.py

i had to write the chmod u+x nm2g2.py and then do it.

then it worked. why is that?
Antimon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hyde wrote:
Quote:

Code:
chmod u+x nm2g2.py

/Stefan

ok - it didn't work by just typing ./nm2g2.py

i had to write the chmod u+x nm2g2.py and then do it.

then it worked. why is that?

It's a way to tell the operating system that it is an executable file. chmod stands for change permission mode, u stands for user and x stands for executable. Some archiving software don't manage to set these properly when you unpack an archive (like zip).

Anyway, now you should at least be able to keep the terminal open and run nm2g2.py for patch after patch without having to start all over again. Smile

/Stefan

3phase

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ask a unix guy...
maybe your G5 is too clean Wink
Hyde

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Antimon wrote:
Anyway, now you should at least be able to keep the terminal open and run nm2g2.py for patch after patch without having to start all over again. Smile

/Stefan

THANK YOU STEFAN!!! actually i have to run:

./nm2g2.py (patch name)

for patch after patch without having to start all over again.

================================================

here are the OSX step-by-step instructions:

* install MacPython 2.5
* open Terminal and type: which python

--- mine said this:

Last login: Sat Jan 20 07:41:44 on ttyp3
Welcome to Darwin!
Hyde:~ Hyde$ which python
/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/Current/bin/python
Hyde:~ Hyde$

* copy the whole path: /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/Current/bin/python

* go to your g2ools-1.0 folder and open the 'nm2g2.py' file WITH IDLE

* change the first line (red text above the '# Copyright (c) 2006,2007 Matt Gerassimoff') to:

#!(your path)

mine looked like:

#!/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/Current/bin/python

* hit 'Apple-S' to Save

* close IDLE

---

* open Terminal and type: cd Desktop/g2ools (if that's where it is) and then: chmod u+x nm2g2.py

mine looked like: cd Desktop/g2ools chmod u+x nm2g2.py

(hit Enter)

* then type ./nm2g2.py (patch name) for each patch you want converted like this:

./nm2g2.py Chaos001.pch

(hit Enter)

you're all done - the NM1 patch will be converted Smile thanks to qfingers, Stefan, 3phase, and everyone else who helped make this possible on OSX!
Antimon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hyde wrote:

THANK YOU STEFAN!!!

Great! Very Happy Glad I could help.

I would just like to point out to other people that before you edit nm2g2.py as in Hyde's instructions, try skipping ahead to the part where you open a terminal and write cd and stuff, because I didn't have do this (you still need to update to Python 2.5). If you don't get it to work, try again from the start.

/Stefan

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Stefan and Hyde, I made a FAQ entry for it.

http://electro-music.com/forum/post-103215.html

Wapskallion

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very Happy IT WORKS!!!

Although I had to do the following -

In terminal, type ./nm2g2.py patchname (leave .pch off the end)

then manually put .pch2 on the end of the new file

Thanks to everyone involved for this great free software and advice (particualy qfingers, 3phase and cappy) - sterling effort!

True to my word, i will make a donation to the forum (although I will have to wait for pay day).

Thanks a million!
cappy2112

Audio files: 2
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hyde wrote:
Antimon wrote:

/Stefan

./nm2g2.py (patch name)

if you want to convert multiple patches at the same time type
./nm2g2 *.pch
modular

Audio files: 5
G2 patch files: 72

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hyde wrote:
Antimon wrote:

/Stefan

./nm2g2.py (patch name)

================================================

here are the OSX step-by-step instructions:

Great!!!

Finally it works! Very Happy

Thank you Hyde for step by step instructions (i'm a rookie with unix too head banging monitor )and from me too thanks to qfingers, Stefan, 3phase, and everyone else who helped make this possible on OSX!
wave wave
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Bought me a new MIDI interface today so I can patch again for the Classic. Tried to convert one of my old noodles and discovered some problems.

For one thing, the Classic sequencers can be set to to have a loop length longer than 16, this is not dealt with in the translation.

Some sound details are lost as well. But as I understood a lot of changes are about to be made public in a while, I guess I better wait before going deeper into this - unless someone is curious about the patch in question.

Must say though that some of the sound is translated amazingly well !

Hyde

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sweet! doing a whole folder of stuff is easy! here are some of the errors i am seeing though on patches that can't be converted:

"/Users/Hyde/Desktop/Keepers/bLoFip.pch"
added missing [Header]
IndexError('list index out of range',)

"/Users/Hyde/Desktop/Keepers/MidiPitchTransposeGate.pch"
added missing [Header]
AttributeError("Patch instance has no attribute 'header'",)

---

is this because they were older patches? i don't know if they were before OS v3.03 or not but is that why they are failing?
3phase

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
Bought me a new MIDI interface today so I can patch again for the Classic. Tried to convert one of my old noodles and discovered some problems.

For one thing, the Classic sequencers can be set to to have a loop length longer than 16, this is not dealt with in the translation.

Some sound details are lost as well. But as I understood a lot of changes are about to be made public in a while, I guess I better wait before going deeper into this - unless someone is curious about the patch in question.

Must say though that some of the sound is translated amazingly well !

the loop lenght longer than 16 is dealt with in the next version on looped sequences..

a still unclear situation is the longer one shots because theire link out put can be an impottant trigger source for later events...

a cheap solution is not found yet...

to do it with a clockdivider has the problem that the first clock gets thru...
while the link out trioggers the first after the pass thru...

there was other things to do so this is left out yet..
But..

If you have any ideas to solve that issue..let us know
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

3phase wrote:
If you have any ideas to solve that issue..let us know

If you have an example patch illustrating the problem I'll have a look at it. (I'm not exactly sure what you mean by the "one shot", well I know you mean "non repeating", but in what context exactly).

Meanwhile I'm listenig through some of my old NM Classic stuff ... for some of those sounds I wouldn't have a clue as to how to patch it on the G2 Shocked

Feedback delay lines for instance really sound much beter on the NM Classic, warm and wild and screaming.

Did I mention the perc osc already ? Same thing ... almost horny on the Classic, brain dead on the G2.

Guess I'm in a sort of a romantic mood or something Very Happy

Page 5 of 14 [326 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, ..., 12, 13, 14 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » g2ools utilities
Jump to: