electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » fonik's place
PS3100 Resonator PCBs
Page 4 of 12 [293 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, ..., 10, 11, 12 Next
bambam

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Matthias

I just found this thread after joining recently Wink
I think i've missed out by a couple of hours Sad but if you have two extra for sale i'll take them, just let me know.

Nice pcb by the way.

Cheers
Brett
andrewF

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've read some versions of the resonator (cynthia) come with a dual LFO that puts out 2 sinewaves, one running at a 20% lower rate than the other.
Can someone point me to such a circuit?
etaoin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

andrewF wrote:
I've read some versions of the resonator (cynthia) come with a dual LFO that puts out 2 sinewaves, one running at a 20% lower rate than the other.
Can someone point me to such a circuit?

I'd say just use two LFOs with a dual pot for speed and the timing cap in one 20% larger than in the other.
krisp14u

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

last call for vactrols i'm going to order tomorrow friday the 23rd

I have orders to make the 100 amount to make the price break on the VTL5C3/2 for the PS3100 Resonator PCB

i will be ordering some VTL5C3 the single type altho the price may be higher than the dual ones as i will not make the 100 to make the price break if you need any let me know by pm

to all who have PM'ed me your orders are in

if you need any VTL5C3/2 or VTL5C3 then pm me asap

this is for synth diy'ers out side the USA as by the time i've shipped them back you could get them cheeper on your own

cheers

Paul Darlow
Fernando

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

comon' boys order some single vactrols too
so it can be cheaper, you'll use them!

>last call for vactrols i'm going to order tomorrow friday the 23rd
bugbrand

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmm, sure I could get some single ones too -- I've got some other single types already but the VTL ones crop up in so many circuits that it'd probably be ideal to get some of them...
Already thinking I should get 20 single and 40 dual...... Give us a price on the singles! Is there a higher price break maybe on the duals? 200?
ACE!

krisp14u

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

we are over 100 off the next price brake which is 250 on the dual's

the singles will be a little extra un less some one wants to order 60 of them

paul
bubblechamber

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i'll take 12 vactrols
23isgood

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So is the Vactrol order only for the Euro folks?
etaoin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

23isgood wrote:
So is the Vactrol order only for the Euro folks?

The Vactrols are coming from the US so people in the US are better off just buying them in the US rather then having them shipped to Europe and back again.

The idea of the group buy is that Vactrols are quite expensive in Europe whereas they aren't in the US.
krisp14u

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

this is nothing against Any 1 its just cheeper to get vactrols in the USA

if your willing to pay mabe 5/6 usd for a vactrol then i will post you some back to the usa but you can buy them from

sneakthief wrote:
The only hard-to-find part is the Vactrol.

VTL5C3/2 suppliers:

Allied: $3.19 US (USA)
http://www.alliedelec.com/Search/ProductDetail.asp?SKU=980-0730&SEARCH=&MPN=VTL5C3%2F2&DESC=VTL5C3%2F2&R=980%2D0730
Note: I don't know how much they charge for shipping - maybe someone here is interested in doing a groupbuy from Allied and making a small profit?

Bridechamber.com: $3.85 US (USA)
http://bridechamber.com (click "parts" section)

Musikding.de: 6,- euro (DE)
http://www.musikding.de/product_info.php?cPath=33_96&products_id=613&osCsid=a539a454224472e49ef1250fefbce0d9

Banzaieffects.com: 5,93 euro (DE)
http://www.banzaieffects.com/Vactec-VTL5C3-2-pr-17343.html

but if i were you i would order from Allied/Bridechamber

us Europeans are just trying to get them for less than 3 euros
23isgood

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok no prob. I will get mine from the sources sited above.

thanks
pete
chonald

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

when is it time to pay? i hope i didn't miss anything.
fonik

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

chonald wrote:
when is it time to pay? i hope i didn't miss anything.

concerning the PCBs i want to say that i will populate and test one PCB first. i don't want to take money for a failing PCB! that's my personal risk doing this thing...
as soon as i verified the manufactured PCB i will send out PMs to everyone who did a advance order. that will be the day of reckoning Wink

bugbrand

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice one Fonik!

For UK/Euro people, I aim to try out these vactrols from Farnell - they're pretty cheapy and I've got a few at the moment (can't remember offhand which though..) - they're not a brand I've heard mention of before and I don't know about general availability, but the prices are good in UK terms. No dual version though which is a shame... Anyways, just thought I'd share that...

Edit - its these ones (NSL-32SR3) that I've got at the moment..

funkyfarm

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

About the PCB :

There is no reversible attenuators for the three CV controls ?

About VACTEC :

We can use one VTL5C3/2 instead of two 5C3 if needed, can't we ?
but no 2 simple optocoplers for a dual one ? or it depends on the schematic ?

There is only one LED in 5C3/2 ? or two in series ?
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 96

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

VTL5C3/2's would work just fine. AFAIK, there is only one LED in them.

You could easily add bipolar attenuators on a smaller board in your module. With a triple res, bipolar attenuators tend to get you into the more formant type sounds during the sweep (human through munchkin variety). As the separate bandpasses converge and move away from each other, the formants naturally appear. Using two or more LFOs (with the bandpass filters controlled separately from them) will get you somewhat the same effect, though inverted single LFO will be more rhythmic and predictable for certain things. Bipolar controls put the patch a bit more at your fingertips.

It's not Vactrol based, but my Triple Wilson SVVCF pretty much does the triple res trick. An example of the formant type of sound is in this rather busy mix:

http://mypeoplepc.com/members/scottnoanh/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/ambi_triplesvc.mp3

It was recorded using only my modular, with the triple filter as the sole filter used. If you listen to the 'main voice' (uh, lotta voices, but you'll hear it), you'll notice the human-like formant type sound I'm talking about. That voice is actually using an EG to modulate the filters in opposite directions. Warning: the file is 3.8 MB.

Another groovy thing you could add to your Fonitronik Triple Razzoplexer would be the MaM style stereo circuit (mentioned before - pans two filters in opposite directions and leaves the third filter in the center of the stereo mix). A dual linear pot, a TL074 and some resistors will get you there.

It's on the second schematic down on my work-in-progress construction page (at the bottom of the page):

http://mypeoplepc.com/members/scottnoanh/triplewilsonsvvcfconstruction/

I would have preferred using a 10K dual linear, but didn't have any. 100K worked just fine.

The stereo effect is marvelous, though I don't have any samples of it handy.

If you want to hear how 'resonator-like' this filter is, here's a mono recording of my DW6000 piped through the prototype:

http://mypeoplepc.com/members/scottnoanh/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/dw6k_tripsvvcf.mp3

That file is 1.8 MB. Quite similar in sound to the resonator in this mode, but this filter is a considerably more complicated and expensive build than Fonik's circuit (mainly because it's meant to do a lot of stuff besides act as a resonator).

Cheers,
Scott
fonik

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Scott Stites wrote:
Fonitronik Triple Razzoplexer

i like that one! sounds very guitaresque - i think i will build a guitar effect based on the PCB (including the stereo circuit and 1st & 3rd BP CV invertible per switch...

Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 96

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very Happy

Actually, it would make a hell of a guitar effect, too!

I also like the fact that I see people ordering two of them - I think a dual module would really expand the stereo possibilities. The samples I made of the original Korg circuit (which was mono) used multitracking to get a stereo response, which sounded pretty cool.

Cheers,
Scott
Fernando

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You bought the nice one. It's the one used on the Bergfors vactrol filter I posted. At Silonex site there's lots of useful info. This specific vactrol it's being used in pro audio applications.

BERGFOTRON BP vactrol VCF
http://hem.bredband.net/bersyn/VCBPF%20Bergfotron.png
It has an interesting vactrol control circuit in it, wich could be used for other circuits. And a table with the resistance vs control volts applied!
You can control center freq, bandwidth and Q (I assume "resonance amplitude" means bandwidth in this case)
Note he used Silonex NSL-32SR3 not VTLs.

bugbrand wrote:
Nice one Fonik!

For UK/Euro people, I aim to try out these vactrols from Farnell - they're pretty cheapy and I've got a few at the moment (can't remember offhand which though..) - they're not a brand I've heard mention of before and I don't know about general availability, but the prices are good in UK terms. No dual version though which is a shame... Anyways, just thought I'd share that...

Edit - its these ones (NSL-32SR3) that I've got at the moment..
iorobyy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

one for me please! Wink
fonik

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

PCBs arrived yesterday and i populated and tested one PCB.
Everything is fine, worked instantly.
(only one minor error - i mistyped the web address: fonik.modular instead od modular.fonik Shocked )

the documentation will be finished soon and will come with the PCBs...

ADD YOUR EM ACRONYM TO PAYPAL for identification, please.

fonik

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

all you who placed advanced orders:
ADD YOUR EM ACRONYM TO PAYPAL for identification, please.

bugbrand

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wha-hooh

Nice work Matthias (and fast work too! Quick to get that 1st one built and tested!)

&, Krisp14u got the vactrols so completion ain't too far away.....

fonik

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bugbrand wrote:
...and fast work too! Quick to get that 1st one built and tested...

thanks!
i just wanted to be shure that there are no errors on the PCB and that it works if built as described (in the forthcoming documentation)...

Page 4 of 12 [293 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, ..., 10, 11, 12 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » fonik's place
Jump to: