electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Rob Hordijk's G2 Tutorial
Page 2 of 3 [55 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
stevenclements

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:10 pm    Post subject:
Subject description: Did a PDF come about?
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi there folks... did anyone manage to create a pdf of Rob's very nice tutorial?

How come there's not a DVD out there yet... seems to be for a number of synths and software. the G2 could greatly benefit from such a treatment.

cheers
Steve

life is a treasure... dig it!
Wout Blommers

Audio files: 123
G2 patch files: 12

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

AFAIK there were contacts about making a DVD, only it seems they didn't work out...

Wout
stevenclements

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wout Blommers wrote:
AFAIK there were contacts about making a DVD, only it seems they didn't work out...

Wout

That's too bad. The manual is dryer then (funny adjective) and not the most interesting read.

...even little vids posted on youtube would be helpful. When the gent gets into the software (around 6 minutes into it) it's nice to see him only briefly create the basic. (link is dead)

Now if someone with similar or more significant skills attempted more elaborations on patch building, I'm sure it would be helpful to lots.

Anyway... just a thought. I'm certain there are a lot of the G2's being used as preset playback devices.

Last edited by stevenclements on Thu May 29, 2008 2:04 pm; edited 2 times in total
Rob

G2 patch files: 109

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:11 pm    Post subject:
Subject description: Did a PDF come about?
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

stevenclements wrote:
Hi there folks... did anyone manage to create a pdf of Rob's very nice tutorial?

How come there's not a DVD out there yet... seems to be for a number of synths and software. the G2 could greatly benefit from such a treatment.

cheers
Steve

The situation is that I'm actually still working on the text, there is some more chapters to come. But so little time...

Making a pdf is as simple as making a print, but pdf's tend to sort of be final texts. I would not really like several different versions going around the world, this is the only reason I didn't make a pdf yet.
Still, it is quite easy to print out the website on paper, if that is more convenient to someone.

There has been an investigation to make a DVD, a nice DVD actually. But that is quite expensive and the amount of DVDs that would have to be sold outnumbers the amount of produced G2's considerably. So, unless someone would like to donate a huge amount of money without any chances for a return on the investment, it is not likely a DVD based on the tutorials will ever see the light.

/Rob
ark

Audio files: 13
G2 patch files: 31

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 8:35 am    Post subject: Has anyone updated the tutorials at clavia.se? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Rob and others apparently wrote some interesting tutorials at http://www.clavia.se/nordmodular/Modularzone/index.html. However, those tutorials are for the Nord Modular, not the G2.

I've started going through them, and can usually figure out how to make the examples work on the G2. However, not having a Modular, I don't know for sure if I'm getting it right. So I am curious: Has anyone updated these tutorials to use G2 patches?
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

For converted patches see: http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-5699.html

There was a plan to update the tutorial text as well, but not all the authors were ok with that to be published.

And there is the g2ools conversion kit of course.

ark

Audio files: 13
G2 patch files: 31

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:

There was a plan to update the tutorial text as well, but not all the authors were ok with that to be published.

And there is the g2ools conversion kit of course.

Thank you!

Indeed there is g2ools. However, that would still leave the problem of deciding whether the translation is sensible, considering that machine translations often aren't. So I'm glad to have someone with more understanding than I doing the translation.
stevenclements

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:

That's unfortunate, because as a new user with a G2 and not an original nord modular, any guidance would be helpful. The Wizoo Guide Nord Modular 2nd Edition, written by Peter Gorges and Len Sasso that I purchased is also a great book (I assume)... if I had the original unit.

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

A G2 version of this would have been ideal for me.

LektroiD

Audio files: 2
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Rob Hordijk's G2 Tutorial is superb!

Does anyone know how to make this into a .pdf?
Johan Zwart

Audio files: 19

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I will give it a trye.
Johan Zwart

Audio files: 19

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I tryed to print a pdf for reading it offline, but it did not work.
Sunship

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I made a PDF of it by cutting and pasting it into MS WORD and then saving it out as a PDF. It was 138 pages long and just under 3Mb as a file.
Not sure I want to print it out though! Makes a great coffeeshop companion on a memory stick.

I just got a G2 keys and am floored with the power of the event (midi) handling. Wowzers. But you folks knew that already.

If Rob said it was ok - I'd mail it to folks who want a copy.

- Carl -
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I split off Roland's tutorial info, things were getting a bit OT here.

Look here.

cappy2112

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

stevenclements wrote:
Blue Hell wrote:

That's unfortunate, because as a new user with a G2 and not an original nord modular, any guidance would be helpful. The Wizoo Guide Nord Modular 2nd Edition, written by Peter Gorges and Len Sasso that I purchased is also a great book (I assume)... if I had the original unit.

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

A G2 version of this would have been ideal for me.

The combined knowledge of what you can learn from the NM & G2 forums, not to mention from Rob's tutorial surpass what one would get from any book. That book was published when the original Nord Modular community was still somewhat in its infancy. The original NM list and electro-music.com (all the patch contributions and discussions) have taken this community much further than the Wizzo book.

Wout Blommers

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

stevenclements wrote:
... A G2 version of this would have been ideal for me.
That's in the converted archive too. See George_Peter/Tutor/first and second edition...

Wout
LektroiD

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sunship wrote:
I made a PDF of it by cutting and pasting it into MS WORD and then saving it out as a PDF. It was 138 pages long and just under 3Mb as a file.
Not sure I want to print it out though! Makes a great coffeeshop companion on a memory stick.

I just got a G2 keys and am floored with the power of the event (midi) handling. Wowzers. But you folks knew that already.

If Rob said it was ok - I'd mail it to folks who want a copy.

- Carl -

Hi, any chance you could send me a copy of this? It would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance Smile
wheely

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hi, sorry to bring this thread back to life, but im thinking of buying a nord G2 engine for my live performances..

can the g2 process audio input at the same time as triggering a synth patch?
iPassenger

Audio files: 5
G2 patch files: 78

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

wheely wrote:
hi, sorry to bring this thread back to life, but im thinking of buying a nord G2 engine for my live performances..

can the g2 process audio input at the same time as triggering a synth patch?

Very easily. You have four slots with two sections in each (a poly section and a mono effect section). Each slot can be a seperate synth or an effects unit, you can even make machines that span the slots or squeeze more than one synth into one slot.

For example you could use the poly section for your synth patch and the mono section for its effects and built a seperate part in the mono section for the audio input processing.. Your whole requirements have been built into a single slot. If your synth patch was mono you could even build the whole setup into just one of the sections of one of the slots!

BTW if you meant can the Nord trigger external machines (synths etc) then yes it can do that while processing the audio from them at the same time.

In a word the answer is YES.

Very Happy

wheely

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

wow sounds cool..

so, just to be certain, i can have a mono feed of drums being mangled by effects, and play a polyphonic synth patch at the same time? can i assign the affected drums to a different output than the synth? u meantioned it can trigger external gear to, do u mean send midi out to other devices?

kind regards, T
Wout Blommers

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, it can do it all Smile

Wout
wheely

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sounds great! whats the expansion board upgrade for?
what would be a good price second hand in the uk?

T
davep

Audio files: 10
G2 patch files: 73

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

wheely wrote:
sounds great! whats the expansion board upgrade for?
what would be a good price second hand in the uk?

T

The DSP expansion card doubles the amount of DSP power from four DSP chips to eight DSP chips. This can be a huge improvement in many ways, especially if you want to use the synth as an eight voice polysynth with really complex sounds (like four oscs and three filters and lots of LFOs per voice x eight voices).

If you just want four separate monosynths, or four separate multi-FX boxes, you could probably do that without the expansion (only four DSPs), but if at all possible I would recommend getting the expansion. BTW you can get a drop-in replacement 'clone' of the expansion card from Encore Electronics if you can't find the original expansion card from Clavia. There are some threads around here about the Encore version.

wheely

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

cheers for these replies!

are these 3rd party expansion cards expensive?

i would like to use this as an fx unit to mangle up drums live, has anyone tried that?
Roland Kuit

Audio files: 8
G2 patch files: 127

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

see this post:
http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-35725.html
davep

Audio files: 10
G2 patch files: 73

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

wheely wrote:
i would like to use this as an fx unit to mangle up drums live, has anyone tried that?

I actually have both the G2 keyboard synth with expansion card and also the G2 ENGINE rack mount box without the expansion card. I use the Engine strictly as a massive multi-effects processor. It's awesome! Before I got the Engine I was using things like a Lexicon MPX-1 and other standard mulit-effects devices and I think the G2 is a much better way to do this kind of stuff.

It's very easy for me to create all kinds of complicated effects chains with some really elaborate patching and routing - stuff that is impossible on other rackmount effects boxes. ....Stereo multi-band distortion, sent through stereo phasers, sent through four chorus modules in parallel, then sent through pairs of independant stereo delays.... something like this would maybe require two of the four DSPs so I could still create another setup of similar size and complexity and it would all still be just one single 'patch'. Also note that the G2/Engine has FOUR audio ins and FOUR audio outs so you can process two different stereo signals (or one stereo and two mono, or four mono) at the same time through completely separate effects chains, all in one patch.

The only area where the G2/Engine is maybe not as good as some other dedicated FX boxes would be for high-quality reverb. It does have reverb modules, which are pretty good but not great, and you can combine them and add more stuff to them to improve the sound or add more variety (like pre-reverb detuning or chorus), but I don't think you're going to get the same level of reverb quality as what you will get from a Lexicon PCM70 or other high-end dedicated reverb.

Another handy tip - You can remove the rack ears and flip them around front-to-back, so you can mount the Engine in your rack facing backwards with all of the in/out jacks exposed out the front.

Page 2 of 3 [55 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: