electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Buchla 218 VC-able Portamento - Works!
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 2 [39 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
vtl5c3

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:57 am    Post subject: Buchla 218 VC-able Portamento - Works! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Last night I finally tested the slew circuit that I cloned from the Buchla 218 keyboard. I'm happy to say that it works. I've posted the schematic and a couple of sound samples below. I may have to do a bit of fine tuning... if nothing else I will try smaller cap values, since it's pretty easy to get way too much portamento going.

Update: I've uploaded the PCB layout, for those who like to roll their own.

Buchla_218_Portamento.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  276.41 KB
 Viewed:  1291 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

Buchla_218_Portamento.jpg

buchla_VTL_slew_PCB.jpg
 Description:
PCB Layout. Works!
 Filesize:  174.78 KB
 Viewed:  1251 Time(s)

buchla_VTL_slew_PCB.jpg

218_slew_01.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  218_slew_01.mp3
 Filesize:  229.46 KB
 Downloaded:  2191 Time(s)

218_Slew_02.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  218_Slew_02.mp3
 Filesize:  140.08 KB
 Downloaded:  1951 Time(s)

buchla_218_Slew_parts.pdf
 Description:
Parts layout. Corrected diode part number.

Download
 Filename:  buchla_218_Slew_parts.pdf
 Filesize:  43.72 KB
 Downloaded:  1847 Time(s)

Last edited by vtl5c3 on Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:19 am; edited 5 times in total
StephenGiles

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Interesting - I was waiting for Jeff Beck to crash in! Have you heard him make similar sounds!
StephenGiles

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's a sample of Jeff Beck doing just that
http://www.4shared.com/file/18815193/15b17a7/JBeck.html

His fingers, a whammy bar and a Rat distortion!
bubblechamber

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks for posting
krisp14u

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cheers for that vtl5c3 I will have a go at this 1 over the weekend

paul D

Paul Darlow

www.krisp1.com
StephenGiles

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm not quite sure if I needed to have bothered (subjunctivo!) with the Jeff Beck sample - a lot of synth players would give their right arm to play like that!!
Quad

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for posting!

What is the difference between Ground and N Ground? and what is L1 & L2?

thanks!
vtl5c3

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quad wrote:
Thanks for posting!

What is the difference between Ground and N Ground? and what is L1 & L2?

thanks!

Noisy ground and regular (quiet?) ground. Buchla often had separate grounds in his modules. As you can see they join together on this PCB. No need to worry about the differences. L1 & L2 are ferrite beads, same as you find on most prefab DIY PCBs these days. You can use low value resistors or jumpers if you don't have ferrite beads.

Romeo
Fernando

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I missed the thread.

wow, thank you so much!
(actually the "wow" was a "fantastico" before being slewed)

Is the 4.7uF capacitor that you are refering to?

maybe is the control of the LED's vactrol what should be finetuned...?

_
Dave Manley

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I was looking for the 218 schematics yeseterday and couldn't find them in the usual places. Are they online somewhere?

-Dave

P.S. Is there anything Buchla couldn't (wouldn't?) do with a vactrol? Very Happy
cbm

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dave Manley wrote:
Is there anything Buchla couldn't (wouldn't?) do with a vactrol? Very Happy

Sort of like Serge and the LM3900.

-C

vtl5c3

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Did you need the entire 218 schematic set? I don't think it's online, but I have them. Could have sworn I got them off the web at some point.

R.

Dave Manley wrote:
I was looking for the 218 schematics yeseterday and couldn't find them in the usual places. Are they online somewhere?

-Dave

P.S. Is there anything Buchla couldn't (wouldn't?) do with a vactrol? Very Happy
cbm

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quite a few older Buchla schemos:
http://rubidium.dyndns.org/~magnus/synths/companies/buchla/

Dave Manley

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I was studying the Easel and the 218 is a key part of it. The 216 and 217 are online at Magnus' site, but the 218 is absent. It would be a good addition to his pages if available.

How many pages total are there in the 218?
CJ Miller

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cool... I was just looking over slew/portamento ideas, and I was surprised how few are VC-able.

In the schematic, it calls for a 6V Zener diode. But on your PCB diagram it says 1N5224. Isn't this a 2.8V Zener? What Zener did you use here? I don't know how crucial it is, as I have neither anyway. I'm a vactrol n00b and I don't want to fry them.

Nice efforts studying Buchla's work! Most of his stuff makes my head spin.
vtl5c3

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Good question. I'll have to check my work when I get home. You're correct that the 1N5224 is a 2.8 Zener. It should read 1N5233. Thanks for pointing it out.

R.

CJ Miller wrote:
Cool... I was just looking over slew/portamento ideas, and I was surprised how few are VC-able.

In the schematic, it calls for a 6V Zener diode. But on your PCB diagram it says 1N5224. Isn't this a 2.8V Zener? What Zener did you use here? I don't know how crucial it is, as I have neither anyway. I'm a vactrol n00b and I don't want to fry them.

Nice efforts studying Buchla's work! Most of his stuff makes my head spin.
haxster

G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Is the type of vactrol used critical? Would a VTL5C4 be okay to use. I am new to vactrols.
doctorvague

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The VTL5C4 would be slower than the usual VTL5C3 that Buchla uses. It's not spec'd here but I'm assuming it is a VTL5C3 in this circuit. The 'slower' would just be response to control changes, not the portamento itself. IOW, if you wanted quick turn-on and turn-off of portamento via control voltages it will have more lag time, especially the turning off or quick turning down of the portamento. Kinda like portamento'd portamento. Shocked

Cheers
Phil

vtl5c3

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:25 pm    Post subject: Schematics Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Forgot that I was gonna post them, but here they are.

Buchla218-1.jpg
 Description:
218 Schem Page 1
 Filesize:  2.07 MB
 Viewed:  1623 Time(s)

Buchla218-1.jpg

Buchla218-2.jpg
 Description:
Buchla 218 Page 2 Schem
 Filesize:  2.86 MB
 Viewed:  1425 Time(s)

Buchla218-2.jpg

Buchla218-3.jpg
 Description:
Buchla 218 Board Part Placement
 Filesize:  2.2 MB
 Viewed:  1294 Time(s)

Buchla218-3.jpg

probablyjoel

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:47 am    Post subject: dumb newbie question... Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What type of offboard components are you using for the control inputs? Just standard 1/4" jacks?
vtl5c3

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm using 1/8th inch jacks. Nothing fancy.
probablyjoel

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you! One more question...I'm not so familiar with the buchla... how do the control inputs differ from the input? If i use it for my 4017 step sequencer, would it work through the normal input or through the control input?
vtl5c3

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Whatever CVs you'll be processing go into the normal input. The CV input controls how much portamento is applied to the processed voltage.

probablyjoel wrote:
Thank you! One more question...I'm not so familiar with the buchla... how do the control inputs differ from the input? If i use it for my 4017 step sequencer, would it work through the normal input or through the control input?
probablyjoel

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So i would need another CV control to control the level of portamento? What types work best as controllers? Sorry if this is super obvious... I'm still a newbie:).
vtl5c3

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You can use the manual control to set a portamento amount, but the value only changes when you turn the knob. To CV control it, run an LFO into it, have a second analog sequencer control it, or even aftertouch from a keyboard... really any CV source will work.

probablyjoel wrote:
So i would need another CV control to control the level of portamento? What types work best as controllers? Sorry if this is super obvious... I'm still a newbie:).
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 2 [39 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: