electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » ChucK programming language
bass/kick drums
Page 1 of 2 [32 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
chuckbeginner

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:29 pm    Post subject: bass/kick drums Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is the first thing I've done in a while that I wasn't embarassed to show y'all.

Here are two attempts at making low/bass/kick drum sounds. Any feedback on code and sound are welcome.

kick1.ck
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  kick1.ck
 Filesize:  414 Bytes
 Downloaded:  655 Time(s)

kick2.ck
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  kick2.ck
 Filesize:  602 Bytes
 Downloaded:  675 Time(s)

AllTom

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

kick2.ck sounds nice, though kick1.ck sounds like there's clipping (or lag) going on. Do they both sound clear to you?
kijjaz

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I like the 'room' idea we've got in these kicks.
this is a nice way to use noise in thie situation.
i really like the sound ^_^

yes, kick1 has some clipping somewhere.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
chuckbeginner

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, I do hear some clipping on 1.

I have to confess that I am learning the modeling/synthesis aspect so I can program ChucK, rather than being able to exploit some knowledge I already have. I tried this after reading an article in the archives of soundonsound.com where they talked about different patches to create some different drum sounds for older synths.

I really admire your drums, kijjtaz. Are there any resources/tips/tricks you would recommend?
rogan

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

On #2, do you want k.sync to be 2 (FM)? You specify k's frequency, but with 1, it will take the phase of q. As it is, I hear a low warble, more of a sub effect from the oscillators.
kijjaz

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

chuckbeginner: You're doing great.
I really love your sound-mixing idea.
I need to do more trial-and-error sometimes.
I'm inspired.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Inventor
Stream Operator

Audio files: 267

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

chuckbeginner wrote:
I really admire your drums, kijjtaz. Are there any resources/tips/tricks you would recommend?

I am also a member of the kijjaz fan club, good creative stuff and he even wrote some code for me before. Actually a lot of people on this forum inspire me with their particular adventures, and a couple of people have complimented me on my work also. Ahh, community spirit!

kijjaz

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

And I'm Inventor's fan club also.

(we should have a more complex data structure for our fanclub system.)
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Heh, what is this - the mutual admiration society? Ain't we special? Very Happy
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

:¬)

I like the stuff you guys are doing so sign me up.

kijjaz

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hehe.. nice fan base.

me still looking forward to more chuckbeginner bass drum / other drum design ^_^.

i haven't been successful in creating acoustic-like bass drum sound.
i feel that these two examples can imitate some noises that reminds me of the real thing.
this is very nice.
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Welcome to the club, Kassen! Have you paid your dues?

Hehe, I paid my dues in the school of hard knocks!

Kijjaz, I was looking at some deep bass drums on my osillyscope and what I noticed was the shape of the waveform. It was actually clipped at the top, and the clipping was sloped down as time progressed. This is characteristic of a slight hig-pass filtering applied after the clipping occurs. I see it on scope probes that need calibration all the time. Perhaps a brief low-frequency pulse waveform, low passed *and* high-passed would give you the deep bass drums you are looking for. The wave wasn't square, it was a pulse. I saw the same basic waveform shape in a few different songs with deep bass drum. Interesting...

rogan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sign me up for the club too. I even made an avatar; a personal first.

@Inventor: This sounds cool. Could you throw up a figure? It could be something fun to try to recreate.
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

rogan, here is a photo that I took of my scope while "American Woman" by Lenny Kravitz was playing. That song has really deep bass drums. It's difficult to see because the cam is slow compared to the trace and it catches multiple traces, but if you look close you can make out the pulses.

They are symmetrical above and below ground, clipped, and sloped. I think it is the result of an oscillating waveform that has been recorded clipped, and gets high-passed by the caps on the output of the dac on my puter. Anyway, it sure sounds like deep bass on my headphones which are really nice Sennheiser $100 headphones, so I think it is what we are looking for.

There should be several ways to model such a signal in ChucK. Would be fun to try. Good luck if you give it a try. Note that I recently posted a ChucK oscilloscope that could be used to view the ChucK waveform for comparison purposes.

bass_drums.jpg
 Description:
bass drums photo
 Filesize:  256.79 KB
 Viewed:  290 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

bass_drums.jpg

kijjaz

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

oh yes. I see the sloped-down pulse wave in there also.
i've seen it many times. yeah, i think it's really nice hard & deep bass.
let's use it to try some new deep punchy bass heheheeh..
i'll post a code when I'm free. thanks.
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OK guys, I'm gonna sit this one out because I'm working on a chainmaille purse for my ladyfriend. Either for her or I will sell it to finance the EChucK project and make her a better one later.

That's alright, though, we've got rogan and kijjaz on the task force. The Bass drum task force. I did my part now go for it, coders! Make us some thumping ChucK drums in neat little reusable classes that we can all use in our programs, and have a great time doing it! haha.

Maybe this work will be translated into a drums UGen by the Dev team someday. Looking forward to hearing your results!

Les

kijjaz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I might prefer not to see these drums in the main code,
but would like us to have a web or wiki or something for our community-shared (GPLed) ChucK code..
- - Oh.. sorry, we've already got the wiki at Princeton.

and definitely.. #include feature will help this a lot hehhehe.
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yeah, ChucK needs a #include for sure
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

kijjaz and rogan, I have noticed two more characteristic features of the drums (well, maybe three).

1. When the drums peak like that with the slanted square, during the interval of the peak *there is no other sound*. That is, the drums *erase* all the other music. Maybe that's why we detect them as being so powerful in the music, they are like little bursts of silence, swamping out everything else. So a good drums class would have an input for other music that would get gated at the upper and lower peaks of the pulses.

2. the angled peaks are surrounded by smaller waves that do not peak in many cases.

3. the shape of the music is dominated by the drums, which have huge rolling sine-wave like shapes that are sometimes clipped and sloped, while the higher frequency stuff is typically riding on top of the drum shape. So in other words the drums are really freaking *loud* compared to all the other music.

Hope that helps you drum heads figure it out! Cheers!

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sorry guys, I "beat" you to it! Here is a deep bass drum made with just an impulse, a band pass filter, and a clipping Dyno. I threw it together and adjusted the filter parameters (look at that gain!) in a few minutes. I'm looking at it on my scope now, but the phone is in the car so I can't photo it for you just now.

The waveform has the exact squareish characteristic we are looking for, including the negative slope. I presume that the physical dac in my mac has an AC coupling capacitor (DC blocking capacitor) that is giving me the negative slope on the pulse flats, so ChucK didn't have to model that at all.

It sounds like deep bass to me. To use it, add in your audio with a summing gain block just before the Dyno clipper because you want to clip the music off when the drum hits as I described earlier. Enjoy!

Code:

// Bass Drums
// Copyright 2008 Les Hall
// This software is protected by the GNU General Public License

// paramters

// variables

// the patch
Impulse impulse => BPF filter => Dyno clipper => dac;

// patch paramters
100 => filter.freq;
5 => filter.Q;
1000 * 1000 * 1000 => filter.gain;
clipper.limit();

// time loop
while (true) {
    100 => impulse.next;
    second => now;
}

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here is the same bass drum added to the efficient boolean sequencer that I created recently. It makes random drum solos. ChucK it up with strat4.ck for some guitar and drums together.

BassDrums2.ck
 Description:
Bass Drums with Boolean Sequencer

Download
 Filename:  BassDrums2.ck
 Filesize:  1.37 KB
 Downloaded:  312 Time(s)

strat4.ck
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  strat4.ck
 Filesize:  1.84 KB
 Downloaded:  292 Time(s)

rogan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sweetness. Just as I was getting ready to leave work.

I am getting some major clicking through my headphones, so I passed it through a lowpass at 100:

Code:

// the patch
Impulse impulse => BPF filter => Dyno clipper => LPF numbatwo => dac;

// patch paramters
100 => filter.freq;
5 => filter.Q;
1000 * 1000 * 1000 => filter.gain;
clipper.limit();

100 => numbatwo.freq;

It definitely has some oomph.
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

coolness. your headphones may not have the bass response to handle a 100 Hz drum beat, you might try upping the frequency of the BPF to 150 or 200. This is fun!
rogan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ouchies! That didn't quite work either Smile

I'll have to take a look into it tomorrow........

Night!
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, I'm nocturnal so I'll keep at it. Attached is a drum playing program with three different drums. The left shift key, right shift key, and spacebar each have a different bass drum on them. Give it a try!

BassDrumsKbd1.ck
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  BassDrumsKbd1.ck
 Filesize:  1.23 KB
 Downloaded:  313 Time(s)

Page 1 of 2 [32 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » ChucK programming language