electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Nord Lead and Nord Wave synths
nord rack 2 freeze
Page 1 of 2 [38 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
phiol

Audio files: 9

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:22 pm    Post subject: nord rack 2 freeze Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi all
Just wondering if this is something that ever happens to any of you. I am on the rack 2 and I use MaxMSP to drive two (P0-9) slots and 1 synth slot.

And I have some notes being triggered as fast as 5 ms . And when I used
the echo option of LFO 2 bang!, my rack totally froze.

Yes , I know a lot of note on&off's are being sent per time, but this has happened to me twice now. The freeze thing where I have to restart my rack.

It's always when tweaking it while a lot of midi messages are being sent.

The reason I ask is I'm starting to doubt using it live. But that's why started switching to hardware in the 1st place.

Rolling Eyes Oh boy, the saga continues.....

thanks

phiol
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's possible to freeze the NM G2 as well by overdoing the MIDI .. especially with internal MIDI ... so what I do is I try to limit the MIDI rates, not just take an LFO and send out every detected change on it's output, but put a sample and hold after it that is clocked from some lower rate and use that to generate the MIDI from.
phiol

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks for the tips

Not quite certain i understand, but here is what I get.

Use the LFO rate for fast triggering instead of notes on and note off @ 5ms.

** But the sequenced beats that come out are so tasty Wink**

Is that what you meant ??

>>especially with internal MIDI
You mean in the nord right? Just making sure.
You mean it gets grumpy if you ask to much from it?
Then she decides to let these crazy sounDS!! then she overreacts and does want to play anymore Very Happy

thanks

phil
Wout Blommers

Audio files: 123
G2 patch files: 12

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

phiol wrote:
thanks for the tips
Not quite certain i understand, but here is what I get.
Well, reading this post further your interpretation is very nice Smile
Quote:
Use the LFO rate for fast triggering instead of notes on and note off @ 5ms.
** But the sequenced beats that come out are so tasty Wink**
EXTREMIST
Quote:
Is that what you meant ??
Not exactly, I think, but it isn't my line... Rolling Eyes
Quote:
>>especially with internal MIDI
You mean in the nord right? Just making sure.
You mean it gets grumpy if you ask to much from it?
Then she decides to let these crazy sounDS!! then she overreacts and does want to play anymore Very Happy
Indeed, the NordLead is a lady, a special one Smile All Nord gear tend to be oversensitive to a lot of Midi data. The Nordlead3 crashes for sure if it receives during booting a normal Midi stream, like a MidiClock signal. Jan is referring to the internal Midi in the G2, because in that synth you can use Midi data being processed in a Modular way and can be send from one Slot to another, very sophisticated! But also a bit sensitive...
Anyway, using a rack version it means all controlling has to go through that one and only MidiIn port: maybe a very fast running MidiNote signal and some CC data at the same time. Even your mother would be a little confused, I think Wink And you know, women can do two things at the same time...

At the moment I think a lot of readers on this forum would love to hear some of your songs using the speed-of-light sound by now Smile
And I am a lot of readers...

Here are two of mine I made recently as an illustration to the effect.
The first one is a-tonal, using the RingModulator and controlled by the Wheel (AmpAttack morphed to create a fixed range), the Arp Range and at the end the RingMod tuning going down.
The second one is pure tonal, I think, and illustrates the gritty quality of the technique.

Wout

Granular_Etude_01.mp3
 Description:
example one

Download
 Filename:  Granular_Etude_01.mp3
 Filesize:  989.34 KB
 Downloaded:  1044 Time(s)

Frere_Jaques.mp3
 Description:
example two

Download
 Filename:  Frere_Jaques.mp3
 Filesize:  247.66 KB
 Downloaded:  1017 Time(s)

phiol

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Holly bloody hell Evil or Very Mad !!

This has been a nightmare.

After a crash from firefox and 3 software trial to try and get my sound clips hopefully this will be the one.

what am I talking about? Well i replied to you laughing about how my sequencer beat studies tracks were no big deal (this is almost 2 hours ago).

1st I post all my tracks then firefox crashes!! THIS HAPPENED TWICE!!!

--2nd, my nord rack2 takes are on my ipod. So I discover that the apple are ibastards not letting you dowload the music that is on your ipod back to your desktop WTF!! Do internet search. Discover that this is true and that people have develop hacks around it. Finally after download 3 different apps, the that ended working is called touch copy but is in demo version. <- Anyways the point is that this is off topic but might help some of you who did not know this.

Ok, in my post i simply said that my tracks were really no big deal since I am still @ the beginning w. the nord -MaxMSP possibilities. The reason is, following the purchase of my rack2, I was struck w. 2 programming contrats in a row. So basically I only got back on it 2 days ago and this is why I'm back in the forum Wink

Again, these are more sequencer type studies and really no big fuss. But it does display nice possibilites w. the MAX/rack combo. They were all done in realtime w. no editing.

Quote:
At the moment I think a lot of readers on this forum would love to hear some of your songs using the speed-of-light sound by now Smile

Thanks for the "show us the size of your ......" Wout LOL!!! Laughing

phiol

Keeeprom.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Keeeprom.mp3
 Filesize:  6.2 MB
 Downloaded:  677 Time(s)

Audio 62.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Audio 62.mp3
 Filesize:  5.8 MB
 Downloaded:  665 Time(s)

Last edited by phiol on Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:01 am; edited 1 time in total
phiol

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here are 2 more . I did them seperately so i don't to start over a 3rd time.

twelve dreep.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  twelve dreep.mp3
 Filesize:  5.68 MB
 Downloaded:  662 Time(s)

phiol

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What does this mean ,
Sorry, you have reached your maximum Upload Quota Limit of 20 MB
for how long ???

in the extension it says max of 200. it's been almost 3 hours. it's 3 am . i call it a day .

I got a few more that show interest pseudo granular stuff.

here is the note that will go w. the one calles "ping"
(This one is too long for a demonstration but what is really interesting is that is displays what can be done w. just one is single sound.
If bear w. it, 3/4 into it , you can hear a snare like function done w. LFO 1. <- I mean add other layers 2 this point , re-edit the whole thing to avoid redundancy andyou've got yourself something interesthing. We @ least i think Wink))
Wout Blommers

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

phiol wrote:
Holly bloody hell Evil or Very Mad !!

This has been a nightmare. ...

... THIS HAPPENED TWICE!!!
Phil, my dear Phil! Was there really somebody on the day you were born that ever told you: "Hear this: life is easy!"
Quote:
... They were all done in realtime w. no editing.
So are mine Smile
Quote:
Wout Blommers wrote:
At the moment I think a lot of readers on this forum would love to hear some of your songs using the speed-of-light sound by now

Thanks for the "show us the size of your ......" Wout LOL!!! Laughing
Uhh... Enlighten me in PM, please Shocked

Wout
Wout Blommers

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

phiol wrote:
... in the extension it says max of 200. it's been almost 3 hours. ...
A site administrator has to grant you that. Jan probably will, so I'm asking him now...
Quote:
... here is the note that will go w. the one calles "ping"
(This one is too long for a demonstration but what is really interesting is that is displays what can be done w. just one is single sound.
If bear w. it, 3/4 into it , you can hear a snare like function done w. LFO 1. <- I mean add other layers 2 this point , re-edit the whole thing to avoid redundancy andyou've got yourself something interesthing. We @ least i think Wink))
I didn't found 'Ping' yet.

BTW 'Kee eprom' is here only 64.4 kB large. Do I miss something? Downloaded it three times now.
(There was nobody except my mom with me the day I was born and she has something else to do, so live isn't easy

Wout
Wout Blommers

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What I surely hear: the brightness and livelyness in the sounds, special when they are a little bit longer. It is the same as Frequerncy Modulation. I think it's because one adds something to the sound instead of substractin it by filtering.

Wout
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

phiol wrote:
What does this mean ,
Sorry, you have reached your maximum Upload Quota Limit of 20 MB
for how long ???

Laughing until someone ups your quota, which I just did. Wink

Anyway, there is a limited amount of data that forum members are allowed to store on the server, for new members the limit is 20 MB and it will be upped (usually) on request ... ask mosc or me, or post a remark in a forum thread, usually I'll see it (and if not, Wout will tell me Wink )

Wout Blommers

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
Laughing until someone ups your quota, which I just did. Wink ...
Well, it costs you beer for Jan and me, of course. Where to can we send the bill? Wink

Wout
phiol

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Eh boys thanks for upping the space.

Quote:
Well, it costs you beer for Jan and me, of course. Where to can we send the bill? Wink

Wait a minute , you want to here the stuff , but I pay the beer Shocked LOL!

Quote:
Phil, my dear Phil! Was there really somebody on the day you were born that ever told you: "Hear this: life is easy!"

Sure it is, I believe it's a choice of how you choose to live it Wink
This was just 3 am to much computer screen for one day baby burpin' cartoon style exaggeration!

To to add to the 1st part. After teaching for 14 years , the most coming human behavior I think we could agree on is either laziness OR short attention/concentration/focus <- which cause bluriness and confusion which cause laziness and finally which result in abandonment.
One has to have patience , and a lot of passion to fuel this patience, to keep at something.
But we have to agree that what make the meaning of this last phrase easier is when the "boring" technical details go fast. <-less branches to have our coats stuck in.

LOL! I just open doors for a lot of teasing w. the last paragraph Laughing

Quote:
Uhh... Enlighten me in PM, please Shocked

LOLOLOL!!

Unless you really want me to PM, i just having a laugh.

here are few more clips
for "ping" This one is too long for a demonstration but what is really interesting is that is displays what can be done w. just one is single sound.
If bear w. it, 3/4 into it , you can hear a snare like function done w. LFO 1. <- I mean add other layers 2 this point , re-edit the whole thing to avoid redundancy andyou've got yourself something interesthing. We @ least i think Wink

phil

_ping_.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  _ping_.mp3
 Filesize:  10.37 MB
 Downloaded:  572 Time(s)

Keeeprom.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Keeeprom.mp3
 Filesize:  6.2 MB
 Downloaded:  606 Time(s)

nordjam 4.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  nordjam 4.mp3
 Filesize:  16.28 MB
 Downloaded:  606 Time(s)

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

phiol wrote:
Wait a minute , you want to here the stuff , but I pay the beer Shocked LOL!

Hmm .. you could steal it too Wink But being put that way it seems a bit odd indeed.

beer

phiol

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

here you go 2 stolen beers!!

beer

I have a question Blue Hell, How come I never ever receive update message in my hotmail. @ 1st , when I started on this forum, it worked fine. I never changed anything in my hotmail or in my account here preferences.

Is this normal ??

thanks

phil
phiol

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

also, I tried copy pasting your beer emoticons but as I look now it only wrote "beer".

Were can I grab these cool ones?

phiol
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@phil : the email notification doesn't work too well, it's a constant source of entertainment Shocked

@phiol : Idea when you compose a message there are emos at the left, but under it is a link "view more emoticons" ... the beer emoticon is just written as [:]beer[:] without the brackets btw.

@both, is one of the names a typo Question

Wout Blommers

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
... @both, is one of the names a typo Question
I think not, but maybe a very worst case of a splitt personality? Wink

Tuow
(reversed personality)
phiol

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Definitively a split personality if your talking about the
phiol
phil

thing .

Who is he anyways... Shocked

phiol
phiol

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bubblings w. Adio 6

fast trigger on note on/off's

-----

ooops, for some reason I can,t post this attachment. I 'll try again later.

phiol
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

phiol wrote:
ooops, for some reason I can,t post this attachment. I 'll try again later.

oh oh ... I better up you again Shocked

Wout Blommers

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I can't upload 'Ping" (only 66.2 kB)

Maybe...
(If you do, delete the first one)

Wout
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmm .. its really up time I guess .. I upped you too Wout.
Wout Blommers

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
Hmm .. its really up time I guess .. I upped you too Wout.
It's a download problem at my side, not upload...
Anyway, still nothing...

Wout
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wout Blommers wrote:
It's a download problem at my side, not upload...

ok ... but your next upload would have failed too Wink

Let me check on the DL ..

Page 1 of 2 [38 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Nord Lead and Nord Wave synths
Jump to: