electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Buchla 111 Ring Mod Layout
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 2 [42 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
vtl5c3

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:57 pm    Post subject: Buchla 111 Ring Mod Layout Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OK, Kiddies! Here's another Buchla pcb layout for you to play with. This time it's the 100 series ring mod, based off the schematics on the interweb (sorry can't find the link ATM)....

THis one is untested by me, but the layout matches the schematic 100%. I triple checked before I posted it.

I have a board etched and partially stuffed, but a low back injury has me momentarily immobilized. I will try to complete it as soon as I recover.

Anyway, happy summer!

Romeo

Buchla111_PCB.pdf
 Description:
Updated PCB Layout and Parts placement diagram. 7/31/09

Download
 Filename:  Buchla111_PCB.pdf
 Filesize:  363.39 KB
 Downloaded:  2264 Time(s)

Last edited by vtl5c3 on Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Funky40

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 5

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

wow, thanks alot !
And i wish you good recovery

ff
ericcoleridge

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
OK, Kiddies! Here's another Buchla pcb layout for you to play with.

!!!

The schematic was here. The page is not opening for me at the moment Sad

Maybe he's up-loading some more schematics onto the site Very Happy
vtl5c3

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:20 am    Post subject: ¡esquimatico? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's the one I got off the interweb. And now it's time for bacon!

Buchla_1110_1_200.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  371.52 KB
 Viewed:  1830 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

Buchla_1110_1_200.jpg

vtl5c3

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quick update: I soldered most of the components to my PCB last night. I'm waiting for mouser to send me a replacement trimmer, since they sent me a broken one. I hope to be able to test it by the end of next week.

R.
ericcoleridge

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is in my que. Thanks again for posting.

I drew layouts for the 106 mixer and 170 Preamp, for practice, and because they were easy. I need to re-do them on graph paper or some program. What do you use for your layouts (like this 111)?
vtl5c3

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I usually start in Photoshop 5.5, using the line tool. I then finish up in Photoshop CS2. Not an ideal workflow, but I learned it when that was the best I had to work with. I'd like to learn Eagle or some other PCB layout program, but you know how that goes....

ericcoleridge wrote:
This is in my que. Thanks again for posting.

I drew layouts for the 106 mixer and 170 Preamp, for practice, and because they were easy. I need to re-do them on graph paper or some program. What do you use for your layouts (like this 111)?
ericcoleridge

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

vtl5c3 wrote:
I'd like to learn Eagle or some other PCB layout program, but you know how that goes....

Yeah, I'd almost rather use Eagle and/or some other free layout program; least that way I'd have a better chance of getting the spacing correct. But I don't have enough memory left on my ancient abacus to download them! Very frustrating. Fortunately, I have Illustrator and Photoshop already installed; I'll give it another try. I want to ultimately tackle the 140 and 180, then possibly the 295... Very Happy
vtl5c3

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hold off on the 180, since I already have a layout for that. I'll clean it up and post it before long.

ericcoleridge wrote:
vtl5c3 wrote:
I'd like to learn Eagle or some other PCB layout program, but you know how that goes....

Yeah, I'd almost rather use Eagle and/or some other free layout program; least that way I'd have a better chance of getting the spacing correct. But I don't have enough memory left on my ancient abacus to download them! Very frustrating. Fortunately, I have Illustrator and Photoshop already installed; I'll give it another try. I want to ultimately tackle the 140 and 180, then possibly the 295... Very Happy
Fernando

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

nice and inspiring Romeo! as usual

any sound yet?

it is a discrete four quadrant multiplier?
vtl5c3

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Fernando,

It's all soldered and wired to a front panel. I'm just waiting for a replacement trimpot from Mouser. I hope to have it running by the weekend, providing that there aren't errors in the schematics. As far as I can tell, it is a four quadrant multiplier.

Fernando wrote:
nice and inspiring Romeo! as usual

any sound yet?

it is a discrete four quadrant multiplier?
vtl5c3

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:03 pm    Post subject: Progress Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So I've been testing it since last night. Last night it was completely not working. I'm using the new Kobicon 1/8" jacks from mouser and wired everything up incorrectly, because they changed the pinout. On top of that, they are flimsy. I will have to find better jacks.

Tonight I made another attempt, this time with the jacks wired correctly. The signal is getting all the way to the bases of the output transistors (Q9 & 10), but not any further. My guess is that R39 & 40 need to be changed since I subbed 2N3906s for the PNPs in the original circuit. They are probably not getting turned on enough to pass the signal through. I will experiment further in the next few days and let you know how it goes.

R.
vtl5c3

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think I found the problem. The CBS/Buchla Schematic has an error in it. R38, the 47Ω resistor that goes from Q8's collector to Q10 and the top matched pairs should actually connect to V+. Luckily I have two other versions of this schematic that don't have this error. I'll update the PCB layout ASAP.

R.
vtl5c3

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:28 pm    Post subject: Success! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quick update: I modified the the 47 ohm resistor as mentioned in my last post. Now it works like a charm! I've updated the PCB layout at the beginning of this thread. In my version I used MAT02s for the matched pairs, but it's quite likely that any matched NPN pairs will work.

To my ears it sounds like most other ring modulators, but I'll give it more of a workout this weekend to see if it has any unique characteristics.

Buchla_111_fix.jpg
 Description:
Fix to CBS schematic
 Filesize:  73.14 KB
 Viewed:  47746 Time(s)

Buchla_111_fix.jpg

LektroiD

Audio files: 2
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm thinking of building a couple of these but the matched transistors are prohibitively expensive (if available). The diagram posted suggests you can match your own, however the originals are dual monolithic transistors, and by the looks of things these are rather complex designs:

Quote:
Monolithic Transistor Circuit
A semiconductor body of collector material has a first and second base region diffused into the collector material, and a first and second emitter region diffused into the base regions. A narrow channel of base material connects the two base regions. A metallic coating connects the first emitter region with the second base region. This metallic coating extends over the connecting channel and is situated directly on the surface of the semiconductor body. The first emitter region may be extended into the second base region directly under the metal coating which connects the first emitter with the second base.

With the above in mind, I have a feeling this can not be replicated with a straight matched pair. Has anyone tried matched 2n3904's in this board?

vtl5c3

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My 2 cents: try it!

I'd be surprised if the design didn't work with hand-matched transistors. There's plenty of trimmers to compensate for mismatches.
tokyomatik

Audio files: 6

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

anybody verified if this layout works?
vtl5c3

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Worked for me.
tokyomatik

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

is it possible to make it work also at +12v ?
tokyomatik

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

....ehm....and would be possible to listen some samples? Razz
ericcoleridge

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

tokyomatik wrote:
....ehm....and would be possible to listen some samples? Razz

ehem, he said it sounded like a typical ring modulator. No one else has built this, you'll have to try 12v yourself and see. I'm guessing it will work.
vtl5c3

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I was playing it tonight. It's very old school sounding... similar to the CGS ARRM, maybe.... I'll post some mp3s to demonstrate.
LektroiD

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm stuck looking for 5.6µF tantalums.. I'm thinking of using 6.8µF tants in their place.

Also I'm using 2n3904/2n3906 throughout.. I'll report back once I have it finished
vtl5c3

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:57 pm    Post subject: audio sample Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

LektroiD

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've just finished this. It works and sounds awesome...

I used 6.8µF Tantalums in place of the 5.6µF Tantalums.
I used 2n3904/2n3906 transistors throughout and none have been matched - as someone mentioned earlier in the thread, there's enough presets to compensate for this.

I'm not sure of the calibration method, but I ran a sine through one input, calibrated until no sound was present, then did the same with the other input. I'm actually liking this more than my Moog ring mod! Really smooth and well rounded sound, even at high frequencies.
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 2 [42 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: