electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Buchla 'Timbre' [Easel/259]
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 2 [48 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
TekniK

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:34 pm    Post subject: Buchla 'Timbre' [Easel/259] Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If U remember fron this Topic:

http://electro-music.com/forum/viewtopic.php?highlight=buchla+adaptations&t=36554

Concerning this page:

http://users.ece.gatech.edu/~lanterma/buchla/boards/mea_timbre/

I made a DiY friendly Single Sided PCB redraw with easy readable wiring diagram.

A hell of a work,Not tested,Its Maxed over-checked ,but i cannot exclude an error.

Oh yeah BTW,this is a full fixed version with all modifications done as
explained by Lanterman on his site.

EnjoY!

TimbrePrev.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  83.49 KB
 Viewed:  1463 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

TimbrePrev.jpg

Buchla Timbre.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Buchla Timbre.pdf
 Filesize:  839.07 KB
 Downloaded:  1276 Time(s)

Last edited by TekniK on Fri May 28, 2010 7:33 am; edited 2 times in total
Sebo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you!!!
https://www.facebook.com/cosaquitos/
forbin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Excellent! Thanks very much for posting the layout! I was very tempted to have a go at a layout for this myself but another couple got in the way (i will post those over the next couple of days) -- having said that i really don't need a another board project... never mind i will make an exception in just this case... again...
Luka

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

cool!
http://www.last.fm/user/prblmchild
adambee7

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks man. Been waiting for something like this for ages. Very Happy Very Happy
The Bad Producer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is great Teknik, thanks! Just wondering, this is different to the circuit on Mark Verbos' Simple Answer site? or is it the same but with different chips?

http://www.simple-answer.com/DIY.html

I have just scored some 2N3958's for that, and I was going to try it out later in the year, just need some CA3160's anyone know where to get them?

Anyway, this looks easier, as there are no difficult parts to find, so maybe I'll try this first!

Charlie

edit: ah, I see it is the circuit from the Easel...

parasat

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I tripped over them looking for something else at Electronics Goldmine (usual disclaimer: I haven't ordered from them)

http://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/prodinfo.asp?number=A10276

http://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/prodinfo.asp?number=G15114

Dan's Small Parts has them too. Google for him-read all the stories. Futurlec orders placed on the same day will sometime arrive before orders from Dan. And his website is a mess Smile
The Bad Producer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks parasat, I'll check it out!
synthi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Shocked Great!! Thanks teknik!
davemoog

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

re: CA3160 from Electronic Goldmine. Bought these from them for my 259 clone - good price and delivery. Chips worked fine.
mono-poly

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

great work teknik!
when are you gonna do the vco?

Very Happy
TekniK

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mono-poly wrote:
great work teknik!
when are you gonna do the vco?

Very Happy

Yeah,i regret that i din't buyed your 259 kit...
parasat

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Teknik-just added it to my build list.
(And thanks to Dr. Lanterman and obviously to Mr. Buchla!)
abovenyquist

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:50 pm    Post subject: Nice work! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just ran across this on Matrixsynth. Fantastic work! I'm really happy to see people taking this and running with it.
frenchyinmunich

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 4:15 am    Post subject: Buchla "Timbre" [Easel/259] Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello,

Did someone already did it or not?
Should I be the first cobaye Rolling Eyes ...
ChrisCoady

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

has anyone made a BOM or a panel for this circuit?
forbin

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Found a few missing tracks off the PCB... I almost have it going so I will post the final fixes tomorrow afternoon in one go!
emdot_ambient

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cool, can't wait to hear/see how this comes out!
forbin

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OK -- have got the signal from the input to the output! A couple of stuff ups of my own (a short and a wrong resistor value) but by comparing the signal against me LTSpice model at various points have found them. The PCB also needs tweeking at the following places. There are two +ve power pins missing from two of the opamps -- easy fix as the power is in an adjacent track. The signal from the 1st opamp (IC18 in the Lanterman schematic) dosen't make it to the resistor feeds to the subsequent opamps. This should be reasonably easy to fix but one of the tracks close by needs to be push up a bit, that is why i have drawn to lines close to each other to show that. The output from the last stage needs to go to the final gain adjusting opamp -- this one is messy and can probably be fixed with bit of wire on the underside...

I am still messing with the JFET part as I don't have any J201's and I can't find my other JFETS anywhere -- I also haven't fiddled with the Crossfader as I need some more Vactrols -- I will try and put in an LED and a pot to check it tomorrow...

Thanks again to Teknik for the layout -- having done a few layouts of my own I know how much work this would be. Only once you have built it do you really appreciate the amount of stuff he has managed to squeeze on to such a small board with remarkably few jumpers!

I will try and get some CRO screen captures and even some sound files soon... It certainly does do some interesting wavefolding and is well worth having a bit of a play with...

wavefolder_mods.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  123.6 KB
 Viewed:  586 Time(s)

wavefolder_mods.png

forbin

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh an i forgot! had some grief getting some of the resistor values. And ended up doing the following:

75K - 68K & 6.8K in series

49.9K -- two 100K in parallel

The existing 75K and 1.5M in parallel give you 72K -- this can be more easily achieved with a 180K and a 120K in parallel.

The existing 49.9K and 390K in parallel give you 43K -- this can be more easily achieved with 470K and 47K in parallel.
TekniK

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Forbin,many thanks for the debug,i start the fixes right now and uploud the update asap
TekniK

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I fixed the pcb layout,no jumpres where added, one jumper has moved to another trace (place) and 1 resistor is moved to.

The PDF in the first post is Updated: the pcb layout and Components implementation are fixed ,the wiring picture is unchanged note so this means it still has the errors in it but that doesn't matter.
forbin

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thought that I might chuck this in as a suggestion on how to use the Wavefolder! This was an article that Roger Powell wrote in Contemporary Keyboard in March 1981. It realates to the Serge variant of the wavefolder but still relevnat to Don's. There were a few good articles from Roger in this series...

rpow_uwf.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  rpow_uwf.pdf
 Filesize:  1.05 MB
 Downloaded:  997 Time(s)

forbin

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

...and some proof of the folding in operation. Top Trace In and the Bottom Trace Out...

img_0484.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  811.12 KB
 Viewed:  485 Time(s)

img_0484.jpg

TekniK

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ooo,i recognice those waves,looks ok Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 2 [48 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: