electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
is there any way to automate a volume knob IN the G2 Engine?
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Hyde

G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:41 pm    Post subject: is there any way to automate a volume knob IN the G2 Engine? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

this will sound weird, but one of the projects i am working on is a sound CD for a Halloween effects company that makes a lightning controller.

rather than automating it via Logic (DAW), i wondered if it could be done on just a patch. what i need is a simple patch that has a constant noise output of 200-400Hz (anywhere in there is fine) and a volume knob that is automated to go back and forth from 0-127 (kinda like a SINE wave).

then another knob would need to control how fast the volume knob would twist back and forth. 2 knobs - that's it. second knob would need to control it from real slow to real fast. it's for some sort of UFO prop that will have pulsing lights and the lightning controller unit is made to react to the 200-400Hz range.

i tried just an oscillating SINE wave but it didn't make the lights look right. any ideas? can this be done?

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Is this enough, or am I missing something?

/Stefan

Nord Modular G2 EditorScreenSnapz001.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  16.07 KB
 Viewed:  9218 Time(s)

Nord Modular G2 EditorScreenSnapz001.jpg

Hyde

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

unfortunately, no.

the signal has to be a SINE wave signal (to have the correct frequency to trigger the light unit). i need the volume knob or level meter in the nord to be automated to turn the volume up and down and up and down - so that by itself it's just going back and forth on it's own.

then i need a second knob that affects how fast that volume knob/slider is turning the volume up and down:

can some other people also chime in on this please?
jamos

Audio files: 4
G2 patch files: 41

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here ya go. LFO Rate controls the rate of "up and down", as you call it.

Basic.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  11.27 KB
 Viewed:  9169 Time(s)

Basic.jpg

Hyde

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Antimon and Jamos,

thank you for helping me out! i appreciate it very much.

i have tried this same thing before and it didn't work. the problem with doing this as just an modulated SINE wave as opposed to something that affects the level (turning the volume up and down) is that as a SINE wave - the lights stay on for 3/4 of the peak and 1/4 for the lows. meaning that instead of an *even* ramping up and down of the lights from off to maximum brightness, the modulated osc (like Jamos') the lights are on most of the time. this is because the light controller actually picks up sound between 40Hz and 12kHz. it is brightest between 140Hz-700Hz.

so if an oscillator peaks at say 300Hz, the lights will actually already be at full brightness at 140Hz-700Hz.

this is why i need something that controls the VOLUME of a constant signal with no volume being at '0' and full volume being at '127'.

in the diagram the lights are off in the black area, ramping up from off to full-on in the grey area and full-on in the white area:

i've seen other patches in the archives where different knobs seem to be turning up and down on their own like they are automated. this is the effect i am trying to achieve with some sort of volume knob or slider or something.
Antimon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

But we are controlling the volume! Jamos was a bit more clever than me and used the LevMult instead of the ring modulator, but what happens for both of us is that the output of a noise module (mine) or oscillator (jamos's) is amplitude modulated (i.e. the volume goes between zero and full). You can change the rate of on/off/on/off simply by turning the LFO's frq knob.

If you want the signal level to remain high for a shorter amount of time, you can replace our LFOs with a shape LFO set to square wave. You can change the width of the square to something that suits you better.

If you don't want an oscillating signal being amplitude modulated, but rather a DC signal going from, say, zero Volt to a steady 5 Volts then back again - I'm sorry, that can't be done without doing a DC-coupling modification to your G2 hardware.

/Stefan

Antimon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Let me just clarify that the knob you put a red circle around is implemented by our LFO+Lev Multiplier combo.

/Stefan

iPassenger

Audio files: 5
G2 patch files: 78

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Antimon wrote:

If you want the signal level to remain high for a shorter amount of time, you can replace our LFOs with a shape LFO set to square wave. You can change the width of the square to something that suits you better.

/Stefan

You could also route the lfo waveform through any of the shaper modules to help get the sweep/pulse you want. Probably trial and error to get this right.

Hyde

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Antimon wrote:
But we are controlling the volume! Jamos was a bit more clever than me and used the LevMult instead of the ring modulator, but what happens for both of us is that the output of a noise module (mine) or oscillator (jamos's) is amplitude modulated (i.e. the volume goes between zero and full). You can change the rate of on/off/on/off simply by turning the LFO's frq knob.

If you don't want an oscillating signal being amplitude modulated, but rather a DC signal going from, say, zero Volt to a steady 5 Volts then back again - I'm sorry, that can't be done without doing a DC-coupling modification to your G2 hardware.

/Stefan

thanks again, sir Smile

i tried everything you said. it doesn't work the way my client wants it to. the light gets too bright too fast. i cant seem to slow the ramping up and down of the light no matter which modules i put in there. in one second - it goes from dark to bright. he wants a nice gradual ramp up and back down 2-3 seconds long. its supposed to look like a slow pulsing lights on a UFO.

would a step sequencer work for volume or something? something i could slow down and speed up the BPM??
ian-s

Audio files: 42
G2 patch files: 626

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You want something to control a colour organ like those on the web site?

This patch will work with a four channel circuit. You just need to adjust the oscillator frequencies to match the filter center frequency bands.

The shape control should let you tweak the light on/off time.

I have added another lfo to periodically modulate the modulation rate. You can turn it off if not required.

ColourOrgan.pch2
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  ColourOrgan.pch2
 Filesize:  1.9 KB
 Downloaded:  1882 Time(s)

Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: