electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Power stavring device - THE ELECTRON FLUCTUATOR
Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
JingleJoe

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:53 am    Post subject: Power stavring device - THE ELECTRON FLUCTUATOR
Subject description: zap zap, pew pew and even wub wub!
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Inspired by Uncle krunkus' device I have made a similar machine.
Attached is a very long sound sample of the first test (once I got it working properly) Things get most interesting in the second half.
Power starving is a much more versatile and interesting technique than I first thought!
I'll get a diagram of my circuit uploaded soon but for now a description should suffice because ti is very simple.

Two LFOs are passively summed/mixed with two resistors (one LFO rising/falling ramp with direction control and the other one, triangle waveform) then via a level control potentiometer they are connected to the base input resistor of a transistor inverter (like this one) the output of which is connected to the +V input of two chips: a 40106 used to make the oscillators and a 4070 EXOR gate which conbines the oscillator signals.
The output is taken through a volume control but other than that, directly from the 4070!

power starving test long.mp3
 Description:
best bit is around half way, there's also steam train sounds near the end :D

Download
 Filename:  power starving test long.mp3
 Filesize:  10.64 MB
 Downloaded:  1275 Time(s)

Green Dungeon Alchemist Laboratories

Last edited by JingleJoe on Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:59 am; edited 1 time in total
JingleJoe

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have named this device: Electron Fluctuator!
Find attached schematics and more demonstrations (but this time shorter).

electron fluctuator circuit diagram.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  913.75 KB
 Viewed:  514 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

electron fluctuator circuit diagram.png

power starving considerably shorter test.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  power starving considerably shorter test.mp3
 Filesize:  1.23 MB
 Downloaded:  1165 Time(s)

power starving pew dink pew.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  power starving pew dink pew.mp3
 Filesize:  1.33 MB
 Downloaded:  1206 Time(s)

attdestroyers

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Good work Joe. But, I don't have any BC182 transistors. Is it possible to substitute a 2N type? Any idea which one? I won't get to breadboard this till tomorrow, but it looks fun.
JingleJoe

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You're damn right it's fun! I got totally carried away with that first demo, that's why it's almost 20 mins long Laughing Thanks again to Uncle K Wink

Any transistor should do really, just check the power and current rating and do some calculations with ohms law to determine current through R1. Make sure everything is within specification, you know? Smile off the top of my head 2N3904 should work as well as BC547 and BC337. BC182 is just a common tranny which I have lots of, different transistors might give different results due to differences in gain. Subsequently one may need different resistor values for RB and R1.

diablojoy

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
You're damn right it's fun!

yes it is
I did some power starving experiments a long time ago with a WSG
suppling power to it through a vactrol , much fun to be had there too.

as good an answer as any
JingleJoe

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That could make a nice additional feature to a WSG; supply the oscillators through the above transistor circuit Smile
I took this device to my grandparent's house today (to do gardening, mostly Wink) my grandad had good fun playing with it too! He made a really nice little beat, a rhythmic sound by adjusting the LFOs very precisely, he somehow got it to sound like hi hat cymbals and snare drums too Laughing

diablojoy

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

you could also take a look at ray wilson mod circuit for the WSG and try power starving through that though i have not looked at the current limitations of that one . would be similar i guess
Interesting to run a CV from a sequencer into such a circuit
with the vactrol i used the vactrol drive section of scott stites mutant filter
not 1v/oct of course but it did sequence the WSG frequencies in a weird and wonderful way.
your circuit would provide basically the same effect if instead of the LFO's you just had CV in jacks ?

as good an answer as any
JingleJoe

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes Smile however the impedance is a bit low, I suppose one could just power the circuit directly from the LFOs if you buffer them, but I wanted a level control although the transistor is effectively my buffer here.
If I were to add external inputs to this I would mix them with 100k resistors and buffer them with an op amp voltage follower.

Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the appreciation Joe, but I really didn't do much. Just starved a couple of 40106 oscs of the pulses coming out of a 4017 through a transistor. I'm sure that's been done before. And it sounds like you've found a better way of doing that already. Cool
Still, if I've inspired a new path of enquiry for you, then that's great. Very Happy

I must admit that I've had some impedance issues as well. Just changing the output from a piezo to a ruby amp to the input of a mixer, created all kinds of changes in the sounds it produces. (not always in a good way either)

Meanwhile, I've had a whole load of personal problems lately, which have pretty much put a hold on doing anything in the lab for a while. So I look forward to following your progress vicariously, and hopefully bleeding back some of the knowledge I've inspired. Laughing
Keep up the good work! Smile

JingleJoe

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You gave me the inspiration Wink
This project is pretty much done and dusted, to solve the impedance issue I'd add an op amp buffer to the output which is powered from the main power rail, not the transistor. A 100k pull down resistor might be useful for it's input to stop it floating when the starved portion of the circuit is un-powered.
However I used up all the op amps in an LM324 for re-combobulating those LFOs so I was reluctant to add another op amp for buffering.

I've got some more stuff in the works, keep an eye out for it Cool

Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Maybe a really large pulldown, say 1-10M may let it float around just long enough to be extra interesting!? Very Happy
JingleJoe

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hahaha Laughing I was trying to avoid the glitches associated with floating inputs but you have brought out the lunetta spirit; the glitch gremlin!

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

If you wanted to get floaty weird voltages maybe some kind of capacitor power reseviour, a little filter or something on the buffer, between it and the transistor collector, although that may just smooth things out, maybe an LR filter would do interesting things?
I don't know I'm too sleep deprived to think anymore today Laughing

JingleJoe

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Find below a photo I took of the finished device and a link to some more, I put it up for sale too Smile

More photos can be found here

For sale here!

DSCN0839.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  419 KB
 Viewed:  316 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

DSCN0839.JPG

Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Jump to: