electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
CD4031 tap looper...
Page 1 of 4 [86 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
kaputtpanzer

Audio files: 15

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:58 am    Post subject:  CD4031 tap looper... Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey,

I was wondering how to build one of these fancy tap loopers. I found this schematic (http://oi51.tinypic.com/34ye33c.jpg), but I am not sure how to combine it with the 40106 oscillators. Is there a complete schematic for something like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aD587BP67Ro

Thank you very much
stolenfat

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

great find that SHIT IS AWESOME.
Kabzoer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I built one of these once, there is a schematic of it flying around somewhere on the internet, I'm busy looking for it!
Kabzoer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I found it! It's on the Blog of ConcreteDog:
http://concretedog.blogspot.com/2011/04/new-tap-looper-design.html

This one works great because it already gives an output if you're jamming the buttons to program it!
tjookum

Audio files: 26

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

really need to build this! There was a very lengthy discussion about these on the sound of logic forums.

There are also the 4557(1 to 64 bit variable length) and 4562(128 bit). Both are hard to find but should add even more variety to this awesome design.

noise
jean bender

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i'm still looking at new informations for building even more and different booleanish sequencers... I've seen that Eric Archer build a beautiful and very intersting thing with shift rgisters ( it's BirdBox) but it seems that it's webpage is not up any more.

Could someone here give me links to informations about shift registers ? Datasheet are helpful, but i think i need more information about them !

thanks...

www.electroncanon.org
Kabzoer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

For some general information about shift registers: http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-46838.html
And I'm totally interested in that BirdBox, as well as all the other desingn in his “Big Box o’ Techno” (http://ericarcher.net/devices/big-box-o-techno/)
He uses a great combination of both analog and CMOS devices...
jean bender

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i totally agrre with you !!

Thanks for sharring the link to the other forum, but i would need some schematics, i don't really see how to wire this kind of ic to other lunetta's stuff !

www.electroncanon.org
concretedog

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

deadbeat wrote:
i totally agrre with you !!

Thanks for sharring the link to the other forum, but i would need some schematics, i don't really see how to wire this kind of ic to other lunetta's stuff !

So the one on my blog that is linked above has a schematic you connect the output of this to something that takes a gate or trigger input so simple solutions could be to connect it to a 4093 gated oscilator or I quite often patch mine to some simple envelope generators I have.

@Tjookum...I know you should build this as I reckon i sent you some of the chips in the great Tjookum-concretedog trade a while ago!

edit... Forgot to add...the 4031 version of this that Toptop came up with can do 4/4 timesignatures whereas the MC14557 based one on my blog can do lots of different timesgnatures as you can change the lengh of the shift register.
I waffle on about my tap looper in this video http://vimeo.com/21893709
kaputtpanzer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Its hard to find the MC14557 here. Is there no schematic with the 4031. Or can I just replace it with the mc14557...

Thankkk youuuu
sneakthief

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

kaputtpanzer wrote:
Its hard to find the MC14557 here. Is there no schematic with the 4031. Or can I just replace it with the mc14557...

Thankkk youuuu

really?

how about 4,06e for 5:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/5-PCS-4557-CMOS-IC-Bargain-Pack-CD4557-MC14557-HEF4557-/220512808951?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Supplies_ET&hash=item3357966ff7

kaputtpanzer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

pssst! I just ordered a bunch of cd4031 an I want to use them...
Kabzoer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You can just replace it with an 4031, I did that too, for the same reason Very Happy
The only differnce between them is the pinout and the fact that the other one has a variable length.
concretedog

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sneakthief wrote:
kaputtpanzer wrote:

Thankkk youuuu

really?

how about 4,06e for 5:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/5-PCS-4557-CMOS-IC-Bargain-Pack-CD4557-MC14557-HEF4557-/220512808951?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Supplies_ET&hash=item3357966ff7

Yep...thats who I bought mine off. Wink
kaputtpanzer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Soooo this is exactly what I have done:
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

Why is this not working? Ahh it's driving me insane Twisted Evil

4031.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  47.31 KB
 Viewed:  815 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

4031.gif

PickNick

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hi!
if just the pinouts are different than check out this schemo:
http://concretedog.blogspot.com/2011/04/new-tap-looper-design.html

L1,L2...are connnected to + and ground via 10k

piedwagtail

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Don Lancaster :
Quote:
This is a fully static shift register with the ability to recirculate data. It is arranged as 64 serial-in/serial-out stages.
In normal operation, data to be stored is routed to the Data In terminal and the Mode input is grounded. Data enters the register on the ground-to- positive transition (positive edge) of the clock.
In 64 successive clock pulses, entered data will appear as an output on pin 6 and as its complement on pin 7. The normal output (pin 6) may be routed as an input to a following register, cascading stages in multiples of 64. Pin 6 and pin 7 can each drive one TTL load.
If the Mode input is made positive, data at the REC IN terminal gets entered on the next positive clock. For recirculation, the REC IN terminal can be connected to pin 6 of this register or any cascaded register. Alternately, the Mode control can be used to select the data stream on pin 1 (Mode positive) or on pin 15 (Mode grounded).
The clock must be noise free and have only one ground-to-positive
transition per desired clocking. Unlike most CMOS circuits, the clock has a very high capacitance of 60 picofarads that must be driven with a rise time of one microsecond or less. Whatever is driving the clock must have a minimum source and sink current of 1 milliampere to drive this capacitance.
As packages are cascaded with a common clock, the clock capacitance multiplies accordingly and the input drive current needed goes up proportionately.
A slightly delayed replica of the clock appears at pin 9 which can be
used to drive one additional register. "Daisy chain" clocking like this
introduces some recirculation problems—see manufacturer's data sheet for recommendations.
Maximum clock frequency is 4 megahertz at 10 volts and 2 megahertz at 5 volts. Total package current unloaded at a 1-megahertz clock rate is 1.2
milliamperes at 5 volts and 2.4 milliamperes at 10 volts.

Hyper clean hyper rise

SERIES another two of those 40106 inverters after the clock generator to drive the fkr.
kaputtpanzer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I will give it a try. Thank you so much
Top Top

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sorry, realize it is a long time later, but I just found this thread when doing a search for my own schem.

I am the fellow who came up with that design initially.

For anyone who looks up this design, or is otherwise interested, I finally put up a post on my blog about this design:

http://www.tinydazzler.blogspot.com/2012/09/tap-loop-tap-loop-4031-tap-looper.html

kaputtpanzer wrote:
Soooo this is exactly what I have done:
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

Why is this not working? Ahh it's driving me insane Twisted Evil

Looking at your schem, nothing looks wrong about it to me. Did you ever work it out? What were you gating with it? You know it doesn't produce sound on it's own right? You need to gate/trigger something with it.

Also, .1uF is a pretty small cap for a clock oscillator. Isn't that up in the audio rates?

PickNick

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hi!
i built the 4031 tap looper based on Top Top's schemo, but mine play back just once.
i used cd4031BE and the clock source is 40106.
any idea?

hmmm...
i don't know what was the problem but now it's working:)

Top Top

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

PickNick wrote:
hi!
i built the 4031 tap looper based on Top Top's schemo, but mine play back just once.
i used cd4031BE and the clock source is 40106.
any idea?

hmmm...
i don't know what was the problem but now it's working:)

If it is only repeating once, that means the output is not being looped into the input properly.

One thing to make sure is that your "clear" switch is a normally connected type of switch (if it is normally open, it won't allow the output to return back to the input).

PickNick

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks Top Top!

now it's working.
there was some cold solder joint.
Smile

Glitch-Militia

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Would it be possible to have a LED output on the stages? Also triggering a drummachine instead of gating an oscillator?
Top Top

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Glitch-Militia wrote:
Would it be possible to have a LED output on the stages? Also triggering a drummachine instead of gating an oscillator?

1) Yes, just connect gate output -> 1K resitor -> LED -> GND.

2) Yes, actually sitting on my bench for like two+ years now is an unfinished gate looper drum machine. The module could trigger anything that takes gate or trigger inputs. Create a drum module that is trigger-able and this gate looper could trigger it.

Glitch-Militia

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks TOP TOP.
Page 1 of 4 [86 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Jump to: