electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
TTSH rev.2 Build Thread
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 2 [48 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
LED-man

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:52 pm    Post subject: TTSH rev.2 Build Thread
Subject description: TTSH rev.2 Build Thread
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

due to Muffs Database Issues, here is the new Build thread rev.2
(backup here: http://electro-music.com/forum/post-407150.html#407150 and on my website)

General TTSH postings like Availability and more here:
http://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/topic-82997.html

TTSH Ver.2 (7.1 on pcb)
Released: 5.January 2015

Release Info:
Changes between first Version and rev.2:
- Powersection, two 1 inch voltage converter, embedded powerregulator like nordcores v1 addon pcb, 3x SMD inductors/chokes and more
- Amplifier : new design without cooling, other Amplifier Transistors and some other parts in this section
- LED Driver redesign
- multiples on pcb
- speaker holes
- switches: you get with the pcb kit few small pcbs with - this are used like a washer for the switches, in result switch mounting is easier as in TTSH rev.1 (pics on my website)
- some minor fixes

Schematic v2 (7.1):
http://thehumancomparator.net/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/ttshv2schematics.pdf

Jon /Zthees Buidling guide (26.Jan.2015 uncomplete)
http://build.thehumancomparator.net/

my own Building guide for Users with good experiences in DIY:

https://www.dsl-man.de/display/DSO/TTSH+rev2+Buidling+Guide

Mainboard BOM

http://thehumancomparator.net/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/ttshv2BOM.pdf
dont worry if you miss 2x 100K resisitors and 1x 1M , 1x 12K resistor, TL071 - thats only needed when you complete the TL071 section on frontpanel pcb side
1x 10K resistor left

VCO Sub pcbs BOM

http://thehumancomparator.net/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/4027v2BOM.pdf

please add: 6x 100nF SMT c0g caps in size 805
mouser part 100nF 77-VJ0805Y104JXXPBC
10nF works fine too (its only a decoupling cap)

3x Timing cap 680pF needs a polypropylene, polystyrene or silva mica (7.5mm footprint)
mouser: 80-PHE450HK3680JR05

notice: the usage of 1k87 tempco 3300ppm instead of 3500ppm works fine too.

you can try the usage instead of SMT inductors/chokes this:
http://www.reichelt.de/index.html?ACTION=3;ARTICLE=86466;SEARCH=L-HBCC%20100
(add enough soldercore to the pcb pads, bent the leads and solder this to the pads)

DIFF from Version 1to version2
(first TTSH from early2014 to second from early 2015)
http://thehumancomparator.net/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/v1-v2-diffferences.pdf

rare partkit: http://www.thonk.co.uk/?s=ttsh&submit.x=0&submit.y=0&post_type=product
full partkits, cases: http://www.synthcube.com/cart

known Issues and more:

You dont need TTSHv1. Bugfixes in rev.2 to get a working TTSH
all known Issues are fixed in rev.2, except the Noise gain/distorted - for my usage its the default good ( https://www.dsl-man.de/display/DSO/TTSH+known+issues#TTSHknownissues-3fix )

Measurement of DC Regulator output:
use for measurement the TP 15V to ground and TP -15V to ground (not TP1 or TP3 )
THATS very important to measure -15/+15V
otherwise you risk expensive damages or blown caps. (safe your eyes)

if you plan to add the VCO Sync option, dont cut the legs from all VCO subboards too short (see VCO sync option here)
please pm me, if you want to add/correct here some Infos

AR Envelope:
https://www.dsl-man.de/display/DSO/TTSH+Mod+AR+Envelope

VCO Sync:
https://www.dsl-man.de/display/DSO/TTSH+Mod+Sync+Option

Reverb Op-amp:
https://www.dsl-man.de/display/DSO/TTSH+Reverb+Driver+Mod

Gatebooster:
https://www.dsl-man.de/display/DSO/TTSH+Gatebooster
pcb groupbuy:

Last edited by LED-man on Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:23 am; edited 6 times in total
ultravox

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks LED-man for keeping us updated! thumb up

(I'm ultravox from muffs)
LED-man

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice to see you here.

In next week i get my pcbs and can share further pics.
Maybe at the end of next week i get a tolex case.
i have a woodworker and a tolex guy/company.
its not cheap. Around 350-450€ with invoice, depends on the case typ.
ultravox

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My Rev 2 kit is in route and I have all the components on hand including the 1" dc-dc converters. I'll also post updates and pictures when I start my build.
Altitude

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Woot. Moving on up Smile I hope he can get that database sorted out since a loss like that is devistating. I need another DIY music forum about as much as I need a hole in my forehead but whatever Smile

Mine's en-route as well since I got in early. We will see how it compares with Rev 1.
Rigo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There are a lot of usernames shared between Muffs and EM Wink
One of the next weeks everything will show up and I can start building ... Thank you LED-man !
elmegil

Audio files: 16

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Altitude wrote:
Woot. Moving on up Smile I hope he can get that database sorted out since a loss like that is devistating. I need another DIY music forum about as much as I need a hole in my forehead but whatever Smile

Mine's en-route as well since I got in early. We will see how it compares with Rev 1.

Last update from Mike was that a lot of stuff is just gone. Sad
Altitude

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

lot of what stuff? save a couple of caps, everything was in the stock
elmegil

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I should have made my quote more clear, was responding to this:

Quote:
I hope he can get that database sorted out since a loss like that is devistating.

Answer is, not likely to get any better than it is right now, and that's months of stuff just gone, a lot of it in the DIY forums.
Altitude

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yikes. Not good.
sduck

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elmegil wrote:
I should have made my quote more clear, was responding to this:

Quote:
I hope he can get that database sorted out since a loss like that is devistating.

Answer is, not likely to get any better than it is right now, and that's months of stuff just gone, a lot of it in the DIY forums.

Actually, this is completely wrong. There is a complete backup of everything, including all the missing stuff. And he's working with a professional database guy specifically to see about restoring everything. I don't know any details beyond that. I could be wrong, and that big year long hole might not get fixed. I hope it does.

We'll see how splitting this thread off from the much more populated group works out. I understand the (somewhat knee jerk) reaction that prompted it, been seeing a lot of that. Personally I don't place any more faith in this sites longevity than I do anywhere else. But it certainly is less of a target, considering how few people use it.

Anyway, I'll keep an eye out here, help out if I can, post lots of questions If I can, etc.
elmegil

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for that clarification; I was making my comment based on limited public statements by Mike, and was unaware of the backup or the involvement of a professional DB person. That's quite good news.
sduck

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, there's a ton of conflicting info depending on what you read and when you read it. According to what has transpired just this evening, it may be restored fairly soon, although we'll see - that's what Mike was saying 3 days ago also.
LED-man

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mike have to invest yet a clustered database and other processes.
The forum database was destroyed due to wrong server configuration.
He wrote that he dont have 4.6gb db backup at beginning of his thread.

Electro music is a great forum too.
i post my ttsh and other projects on sequencer.de too since few years.
knowledge sharing can be used on many platforms to reach more users.
i hope the best for muffs and looking forward that he invest there money in modern Hardware/Software.
I miss the Standard SSL login as default too.
otherwise the risk of Session capturing and more.
sduck

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

LED-man wrote:

He wrote that he dont have 4.6gb db backup at beginning of his thread.

This is incorrect. I suspect you may have missed some ironic humor and sarcasm that was involved in that.

Doesn't matter, this is also a great place to have a secondary thread on this.
sonicwarrior

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sduck wrote:
I suspect you may have missed some ironic humor and sarcasm that was involved in that.

In an international forum (foreign language = missing subtle stuff, wonder how many US people are speaking second languages as there seems to be barely any understanding for this) and with this serious matter one should be cautious with ironic humor/sarcasm.
Satindas

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:45 am    Post subject:
Subject description: Did I miss something?
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Did I miss something? There seems to be a few here stating "mines on route", but I've been checking the TTSH shop everyday since the supposed 1/1/15 opening date and I never saw anything other than "closed". I've got another builds worth of parts here (minus the changes in rev2) and really hoping they don't end up in the "may come in handy bin"!
elmegil

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My understanding is that Jon, in order to avoid the shipping problems he had with rev 1, is packing and shipping everything himself. He is also only putting the number that are ready up on the website. So the small numbers ready at any given time disappear almost instantly as soon as someone notices they're available.

cycle is like this:

pack a few
put them up for sale
they sell out
lather, rinse, repeat

As frustrating as this model is for those who want it, I suspect he got a LOT of hassle over how it went last time, months between order and delivery, stop ships when things were damaged in various transit, etc. So it's kind of damned if you do, damned if you don't. He's opting for personal control....
sduck

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

As far as I know based on an email from Jon, they've only been on sale once so far, on the 5th. Perhaps someone who has better communication with him (LED-man?) can clarify this.
Satindas

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

In light of the problems Jon encountered with Rev1, I fully understand his predicament if he indeed wishes to retain "personal control". Having said that, I'm slightly disgruntled by the fact that having followed the development of this project from its early days and having already had to wait way beyond the planned release date of the first batch, I now have to constantly check up on availability with no guarantee that I'm even gonna get a look in. I for one, would be happy to be on a waiting list and suck it up until payment is requested. It seems a bit unfair that some noob with a pack of 500 resistors and his grandads hot iron can get wind of this tomorrow and jump the queue just because he happened to get lucky. Am I being unreasonable?
LED-man

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I got few kits today.
Jon sells the kits in February too.
he check every panel by hand before shipping.

2015-01-19 19.08.56.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  631.15 KB
 Viewed:  301 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

2015-01-19 19.08.56.jpg

trotz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've been checking continuously...

I couldn't believe when I just read that some lucky guys have received ther v2s! :'(

I also would like to be on a list (I thought I was in one already) and then wait no matter for how long.

Checking the site every few hours can't be any good for nobody Wink

sduck

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

LED-man wrote:
I got few kits today.

A few kits!?! No wonder no-one else can order them - you bought them all. Laughing

I hope someone can find out a solid date that they'll go back on sale. Wink
LED-man

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

More than 50orders was shipped at the same time as i got my groupbuy panels/pcbs.
LED-man

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Today i soldered for a friend the SMD parts.

The 100uH chokes was very hard to solder.

20150120_135640.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  201.26 KB
 Viewed:  362 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

20150120_135640.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 2 [48 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: