electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Thomas Henry designs
X-4046 VCO Page is Up
Page 7 of 7 [175 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
claudiodelcairo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

niiice!! Can you pm me the eagle files please?
fonik

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

[quote="inlifeindeath"]
airfrankenstein wrote:
ive built 3 X-4046 VCOs and they're fantastic. Fonik offers great PCBs.

which i just re-designed. will offer 16HP eurorack circuit PCB + front panel components PCB (optional) + printed eurorack frontpanel (if enough interest) Very Happy

paulstone

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

[quote="fonik"]
inlifeindeath wrote:
airfrankenstein wrote:

which i just re-designed. will offer 16HP eurorack circuit PCB + front panel components PCB (optional) + printed eurorack frontpanel (if enough interest) Very Happy

wow Interest , hope soon Smile
fonik

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

just have to order the prototypes...
piter_sensei

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 10:19 am    Post subject: tempco question Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hello,

i am from argentina, and quite new in this DIY world
my question is about the X4046 tempco resistor.
i cant find here the 2K tempco 3500ppm
but found a TTC 202 that is 4000ppm

i think the 2k2 value is not a problem for calibrate the scalling trime.
my question is about the conversion rate (4000 ppm) of ohms/c°

i test it, and with the tempco in thermal contact (in the middle) of my transistor pair (but not connected yet in the circuit), its go down in 60Ω by C° in the range between 20-25C°

my question of course is to ask if this TTC tempco is admissible in the Thomas Henry designs

thanks !!

Pedro
fonik

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

the TTC 202 is a NTC (negativ going) while you need a PTC (positive going).

check these sellers: synthcube, thonk, bridechamber, or MFOS. they are specialized on synth DIY

piter_sensei

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ok thanks !!
fonik

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

fonik wrote:
airfrankenstein wrote:

i finished the assembly of the prototype last night and it worked from the start.
now we have one PCB containing the actual circuitry of the complete VCO (waveshapers included), size 4in x 2.2in, and an additional adapter board for the for the front panel components (LFO mod/cap/LED included), size 4in x 3.1in eurorack form factor.
so now the actual VCO PCB is now smaller than just the core board from the 1st run, but is still providing MTA-100 connector footprints for easier manual wiring (if needed/wanted). and i now made a complex footprint to adapt a super matched pair (like the lm394) or your hand matched 3904 transistors.

now it is time to order a prototype frontpanel.

fonik

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:07 am    Post subject:
Subject description: FYI
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

a new run of PCBs (and front panels) will be available soon:

http://electro-music.com/forum/post-401449.html#401449

Colonel Steel Lungs

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I wish you would just label things on your schematics, Shoes. Lazy git.
msprigings

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Has anyone had any issues with hot wave forms? I just tested my saw/tri and i'm getting around 15v p2p with the NXP 4046.
airfrankenstein

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Could anyone suggest a cap value to make this VCo capable of LFO duties?
I'd like to put in a switch.
fonik

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

airfrankenstein wrote:
Could anyone suggest a cap value to make this VCo capable of LFO duties?
I'd like to put in a switch.

that's what i did with the fonitronik PCB/Panel kit. you could even use a 2-pole switch and use the triangle output to drive a bi-color LED in LFO-mode.

i used 1uF NP for the LFO. you will even have an overlap, something i like to have.
http://www.synthdiy.fonitronik.de/forum/x4046-VCO_V2.pdf

airfrankenstein

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes I'm aware the feature is available on the new pcbs. I'm just going to try to squeeze in that option on V1, without the led.
Thanks
fonik

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

airfrankenstein wrote:
Yes I'm aware the feature is available on the new pcbs. I'm just going to try to squeeze in that option on V1, without the led.
Thanks

i did a similiar retrofit for a customer on a 555VCO, using a sub-miniature switch:

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
Custom 555-VCO by Matthias Herrmann, on Flickr

wackelpeter

Audio files: 10

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

just finished a 4046 VCO on stripboard.

Run's straight coming from the work bench, which is a bit unusual with my building skills... Very Happy

Tracking was a bit tricky thumleft ... had to swap the 4046 for some better results, but the rest is very fine...

will have to twaek the pwm a bit because when turning the pot fully cw or ccw i got either a + or - constant dc Signal... increasing the 330k should solve the Problem i guess....

what i have noticed is that my original triangle out on pin8 Shows some Spikes at the upper and bottom edges... 2-3 Volt more than the Signal itself... anyone with an idea to get rid of them?

well i'm glad with it and guess this week another 4046 will beborn on my workbench...

Thanks a lot Thomas for your very cool designs and your generosity to share your knowledge with the community.
thumleft

wackelpeter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Don't know if i ever mentioned this before, but the Expo converter from the 4046 VCO works really well (and for me in an astonishing precise way) in the ASM1 VCO... have finished two of them and tuning was very easy, both oscillators track really close, so far my best result regarding tracking of a VCO...
Also i now used LF op amps in the Expo converter and thus slightly changed it a bit and added the positive and negative FM method as used on the buchla 258 VCO's.

On my two 4046 VCO it is limited somehow at higher range or at lower range which i had to make some compromises to handle both...

First of i think it has something to do with my CD4046, still managed it to get another brand, and also i finally decided to order a lot of polysterene caps which i can Exchange for the Polypropylene caps build in there, might improve things a bit i hope...

fonik

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

you could subsitute polysterene with C0G ceramic. at reichelt they would be found under "NP0".
wackelpeter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sorry got it the wrong way around... too much poly's left me poly-confused Smile

After reading a guide, regarding caps and their use in audio circuits, i don't know exactly what web site it was, but it was from one of the more known guys (Marc Bareille perhaps) active in the DIY scene, who compared the different cap types and their use, giving a rough guide for their use.

For a long time i used polysterene (wima MKS) caps in most circuits, which seem not as useful in VCO's or VCF's. So from that list one of the closest replacements for silver mica were polypropylene caps (in my case Wima FKP2 and MKP2) from which i now ordered a few of some values to exchange them.

So those COG ceramics are better suited for audio applications than FKP2 or MKP2?

fonik

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

WIMA MKS is polyester NOT polysterene.
polypropylen is good for s/h applications IIRC.

the best choice for timing caps is polysterene (i.e. styroflex) or ceramic C0G/NP0. polysterene is THE classic VCO cap, however, meanwhile the new C0G appeared and they have a much more civil footprint.

at least thats what i learned from different sources.

wackelpeter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes Matthias, you're right... i'm mixing up these different types of poly-whatever caps again...

Well next time i'll order some components i'll give those NPO-caps a try, perhaps the better alternative as MKP2 or FKP2 as they're cheaper and relatively small compared to those.

As per Wima web site those FKP2 are well suited for Timing, filter, s&h and audio circuits in general.
https://www.wima.de/de/produkte/filmfolien-kondensatoren-im-rm-7-5-15-mm/fkp-2/

Seems as i have to search for some more informations about those COG/NPO caps and were they better suit in audio circuits as polypropylene would do.

Paradigm X

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Thomas, Mattias and Scott

I finally after many years got round to finishing and calibrating this VCO - it really does sound awesome, better than all my others i would say. I used the expensive MAT02 matched pairs for this, which i dont know if it affects anything other the v/oct, but theres something realoly unique to this VCO.

I must admit I always though a VCO was a VCO, a squarewave a squarewave etc, but happy to be proved wrong.

SO many thanks my Henry for your generosity in sharing an innovative design using cheap parts, and Mattias for the PCBs, and Scott for his usual input and very helpful details on his website.

Ben
injektilo001

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:11 pm    Post subject: PCB PLEASE Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello Everyone, I'm Jean Paul from Chile
I was wondering if somebody has a working single sided PCB and layout from this beautifull VCO for etching myself?
I've been looking like crazy everywhere.
(If somebody has the same kind of files for the Thomas Henry 555 VCO it will be wonderfull too).
Hope somebody can help
Cheers from Chile
JimRead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Please ignore I worked out what I wanted to know from the previous posts.
Silly me!

Cheers
JimRead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello Thomas, Hello Scott, Hello Ryk, Hello Robert and Hello all,

I found the single sided PCB layout and looking through the thread the feedback modification;

I also altered the transistor layouts so they meet face to face

The PDF layout on Page 3 is too big so I had to reduce it proportionally by using Ps CS2 to measure and resize it. Not a problem so many are like that, I've done a how to video about it.

But this one is too wide in one direction most unusual but again easy to fix by un-constraining the proportions.

Cheers
Page 7 of 7 [175 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Thomas Henry designs
Jump to: