electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
About this forum
Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:56 pm    Post subject:  About this forum Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've gotten requests to go into depth on the little cheap simple digital synths called Lunettas. See: http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-23215.html . These machines are named after Stanley Lunetta of Sacramento, California. Stan informally taught a few of us how to build these things in the early 1970s. He was an inspiring teacher, to say the least. He never liked us calling these things Lunettas, but, Stan, you don't always get what you want. We call these Lunettas as an homage to a great man, a creative inspiration to me and many others.

In this forum we will explain the basic concept and draw up a few circuits to give members an good idea about these fun circuits.

Lunettas are very simple, digital, noisy, quirky, and lots of fun. Forget the analog synth model - no VCOs, filters, ADSRs, and that stuff. In some way, these aren't synthesizers because they aren't designed to synthesize any sounds. They are certainly electronic musical instruments.

Anyway, we're getting ahead of ourselves. This forum is for discussing these circuits and this philosophy. The main ingredient is creativity, so I hope after getting this started with a few topics, other people will come up with ideas and present them.

Everything is informal. Every Lunetta is different. Most of the time, the only person who can play a given Lunetta is the person who built it.

Last edited by mosc on Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Danno Gee Ray

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Bravo! I await the colective genius.
Coriolis

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This sounds like fun!

C
CJ Miller

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is wonderful! I have wondered about very simple digital synthesis like this for a while, but only recently got around to getting logic chips and breadboard. Thank you Mosc for getting us started!
-minus-

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi mosc and all!

I've just tonight stumbled upon this 'Lunetta' thing. Wondering if there is any info anywhere which can explain what this idea is about? My gut reaction is that this is something I should know about. What are the key ideas about this design approach? If possible, links, schematics, some sort of historical overview etc would be much appreciated... not asking for much am I?

"In this forum we will explain the basic concept and draw up a few circuits to give members an good idea about these fun circuits."

This is the bit I am wanting to find. Can you give me directions please? In the meantime, I shall continue searching. I may be on a several year tangent here with this Lunetta thing instinct tells me!

Thanks for the catalyst!
RF

Audio files: 28

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi -
Great to have you here!
Everything is in this forum somewhere:) just start reading the posts.

Here's another forum
http://deathlehem.com/php/forums.html?sid=4c6e29a813b0cbeb19213a640d310b5e
- but use it quick as it may be gone in a month or so,,,

These are really fun - I look forward to seeing/hearing what you come up with!

bruce

"I want to make these sounds that go wooo-wooo-ah-woo-woo.”
(Herb Deutsch to Bob Moog ~1963)
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

welcome -minus-

I think RF said it right. The info is in the subforum. I suggest you read all you can and if you have any questions after that, ask them in this forum, but not in this topic. Start a new topic for each question / concept. That makes it easier to follow for readers.

I have a poster of the "World's First Lunetta Concert" which was held at Mills College in Oakland, California in 1971. Of course, it really wan't the world's first Lunetta concert because Stan Lunetta was a professional musician for years before that. I'll try to dig that poster up and scan it. It's amusing.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
droffset

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have a slightly fleshed-out skeleton of an intro document, I can clean it up and post it since it looks like I'll need help getting it completed.

Edit: Spelling mistakes.
-minus-

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks everyone!

Yeah... after asking the question, I scrolled through the subforum stuff and looked at milkcrate.com.au. Lots of info there. I think I'll have a good read through everything here and see where it leads me.

That poster would be interesting to see mosc. I hadn't begun school when that happened! Giving my age away here... Still, must have a good 20-30 years soldering left in me yet...
jurekprzezdziecki

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Howard and the forum guys,

Great to hear that. I'm really into this circuits even though i'm a beginner.
I have a great stock of polish CMOS and TTLs made by polish company named CEMI. i have a lot of them as an inheritance from my father, a retired radio circuits electronic engineer. I want to use them, have some ideas in mind. I know that is a place to ask and develop those ones.

Thanks for you help

Jurek
Project_2501

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ironically I stepped into the DIY Electronic universe not even knowing who I live with.

I live with Stan's grandson!, Henry. Went to Jazz school with him.

I started making my own little oscillators on veroboard at home and henry got so excited I was building my own instruments that he's bringing stan's last creation to the house before he past away.

I don't know much about electronics, I just got my feet wet with a veroboard layout that I found online, but I'm excited to see this thing. His last instrument was called the cube. I assume few forumers may know what this is. From Henry's understanding it's Stan's life work inside one box that can generate a sound sequence on it's own for a month.

When I see Stan's cube, I'll try my best to document it. Henry and I want to record some songs with it, so I'll keep you posted Very Happy

It's funny to here Henry talk about his grandpa's house. He wired the house with creations. He said there was a light sensitive sound thing that his grandma hated to death, and she would always put a rag over the sensor to diminish the sound.
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I know the cube very well. It was originally built by Stan in the 1970s, but he would often modify it. I don’t know what his last project was, but the cube was not it, unless he completely rebuilt it unknon to me (very possible). I’d be very interested to see photos of the insides. He sometimes built huge circuits in the space wire style. If he liked it he would put the prototype inside an existing contraption which he called gizmos. He had great luck with these, some would keep working for years. His schematics were just incomplete notes on pieces os scrap paper. If Stan’s grandson could locate some of these notes, it would be a great public service to post them online, preferably here. 🤗

Anyhow, welcome to electro-music.com. It’s great to hear from you.

Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Jump to: