electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
DIY Euclidean Polyrhythm Generator
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 3 of 3 [71 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3
sneakthief

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

AREF is the pin below A0. It's a clean 5V reference voltage, so better than using the regular 5V line.
cyclic

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Whoa. This is amazing value. I got a bit excited and ordered parts already.

Tell me, will it also run at audio frequencies, to give interesting frequency divisions, or are the outputs too short /long for this to work.

To put it another way, Does it give a fixed length trigger, or gate, or is it pulse width of the input clock pulse?

Cheers

Lance
sneakthief

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It works at low audio rates and outputs fixed pulses. But if you're willing to roll up your sleeves and try programming, you could add a pot or cv control which could modify the gate length.
cyclic

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am totally not a programmer. Is it trivial to make an analogue in pin accept a 0-5v cv to adjust pulse width?
Ie can I just cut n paste someone else's code?
Schläfer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

EL BO wrote:
I am totally not a programmer. Is it trivial to make an analogue in pin accept a 0-5v cv to adjust pulse width?
Ie can I just cut n paste someone else's code?

I would be really interested in this, and as well on how to modify the code to be able to take CV inputs to modify parameters (density, length, offset)
Schläfer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Working build of the sequencer , testing to send voltage to a small DC motor with a piezo to get the sound of the vibration Very Happy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ml-uI3bO3DI&feature=youtu.be

and a bit off topic, but the same idea with a baby8 sequencer too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LPaU2ltXfI&feature=youtu.be

Euclidean Motor.mp4
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Euclidean Motor.mp4
 Filesize:  3.34 MB
 Downloaded:  450 Time(s)

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Schläfer wrote:
Working build of the sequencer , testing to send voltage to a small DC motor with a piezo to get the sound of the vibration :D

Nice!

dub halley

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello Smile

I'm back to finish this wonderful project ...

I just want to say thanks !!! Very Happy

Have a nice night ! Wink
Schläfer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Still looking for a way to implement CV input to the encoders parameters with the remaining input pins of the Arduino, it would really add nice evolving / modulation possibilities..

Anybody managed to find a trick to do this in the Arduino code?
dub halley

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Schläfer : sorry sorry, not on my skills ...

sneakthief : Thanks nfor everything !! Very Happy

with your mods, all become good !!
I needed to change the arduino, the first one seems to be destroyed by the "freeze" ...
But nevermind, it work Cool

It's a wonderful seq Very Happy
Thanks
dodgyg1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:47 pm    Post subject: work in progress Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great project. Thanks to Sneakthief and Tombola for all their work.

Have a unit built but have some teething problems to iron out. Any help/suggestions from any of you guys would be much appreciated.

On first power up got a couple of rows of led's light up then go off. Then nothing. Cleared EEPROM and re-uploaded code. Booted up, all led's came on then went off and then nothing. At least this showed that all led's in the display were working. In both of these cases operation of encoder switches or encoders seemed to do nothing.

ok so lets see if the encoders are being seen in the software. I set the debug flag to 2 and ran the EEPROM
program before re-flashing the main program. The display sprang into life and the serial monitor showed that each of the encoders were operating as expected. Repeating this operation twice more but with the debug flag reset to zero resulted in the previous incorrect operation. Debug flag set at 2 and the display springs back into life. No idea why this is the case but it seems to be the only way I can get the display to work.

I have a display that looks like the one Sneakthief showed on the first photograph on page 1. I'll have to replace this as it will not fit into the eurorack panel based on the .svg drawing on page one. I've ordered this one

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MAX7219-LED-8x8-Dot-Matrix-Display-Module-MCU-control-for-Arduino-DIY/131497841320?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

from a link sneakthief gave later in his post as proved to work. The i2c board sits on the back of the led display without extending to far outside the display dimensions.

In the meantime with my existing display I noticed that one row was blank. I took it to be row 7 as this indicates which channel is selected. It means also that my display is running right to left. However pressing each of the encoder switches in turn did light up any led's in this row. Next I checked some voltages as follows:

Aref = 4.62V
End of 10k resistor connected to Aref = 3.54V
input A2 with length encoder pressed = 1.98V
input A2 with density encoder pressed = 1.15V
input A2 with offset encoder pressed = 0.66V

These values are exactly as I calculated so A2 is getting expected input. However the display does not light up any of the led's in row7 neither indeed is there any change to the patterns before pressing to after pressing. After awhile of pressing and holding switches nothing happened and then suddenly after having released switches two led's on the left came on. They have since stayed on and no amount of switching changes this. A check on A2 voltage showed 0V as expected with no switches pressed. Strange behavior indeed!

That's all for tonight. Tomorrow I will try the other ledcontrol.h for reversed displays.
dodgyg1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:15 pm    Post subject: Moved to muffwigglers Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

After spending a good deal of time trying to get this to work I find that more recent and updated schematics and software are now on muffwigglers. Rather than have others waste their time trying to solve problems that have already been sorted. Please go to

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/topic-45485-0-0.html

(At the moment the site is down so try again later).
Ruebezahl

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A bit late, since we built this project in 2015, but here is our take at an euclidean drum machine, based on the arduino code here:

https://youtu.be/iX0TAn9bEIU

The Euclidomat was designed and created 2015 as part of the 3DMIN project, a joint venture by the University of the Arts and Technical University of Berlin, which goal was the research and creation of novel digital instruments. The members of the group responsible for this instrument were:

Gabriel Treindl
Maximilian Buske
Ruben Layer

The concept of the Euclidean Rhythms can be traced back as far as to the ancient Greek mathematician Euclid, who came up with one of the first Algorithms on earth. However, in the early nineties it was found out the Euclidean Algorithm actually can be used to create pretty much all of the Rhythms of both, Western popular music styles and traditional African and Latin music. Based on this discovery we set out to create a sequencer which doesn’t use the traditional step sequencer programming, but instead just have two controls for each pattern. The rest is left to the algorithm, which will distribute the hits as even as possible. This results in very steady rhythms, often perceived as „tribal“ or „ethnic“, reminding the listener of traditional African drum circle music. To further develop this feeling, the sounds are produced acoustically. All kind of found objects, hacked gear or self-built tools are triggered by those machines and will take the audience on a polyrhythmic journey.

The sequencer part is based on a design by tombola, further edited by sneakythief on electro-music.com:
http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-...

The sound of this instrument is generated by solenoids, which are striking different objects or instruments, like a tambourine, claves, chimes, small drums or a tensioned strings. The iron slug inside the coil of the solenoids moves fast forward, when a current pulse flows through the coil. This produces a strike on the attached object. Additionally, with its 5V outputs, the sequencer can control synthesizers and drum machines or even a hacked walkman, in our case.

For more information about the 3DMIN project:
https://www.3dmin.org

amba

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:46 pm    Post subject: ROTWhich rotary encoders tips to use
Subject description: As they are allready mounted on a board I am a bit confused
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi,

I am new to the diy projects in general and was just starting of with this one after doing a few other ones. Just had some issues. Lots of things I don't understand. I was wondering if you could help me out. These are the ecoders that confuse me : https://www.ebay.com/itm/1Pcs-KY-040-Rotary-Encoder-Module-Brick-Sensor-Development-For-Arduino-/171772090202?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27fe6a175a
How should I use this?

Secodly how can you link everything to GND on the arduino without a stripboard?

Thirdly, do you have to first solder a diode to ground and then put a 200ohm resistor that goes to the jack?

Thanks in advance! Sorry if I have nothing to show yet whcih would be more usefull I guess in the future.
amba

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:31 pm    Post subject: Next step
Subject description: Am I going in the right direction

[img]https://www.flickr.com/photos/190679563@N05/50507500167/in/dateposted-public/[/img]

I feel like i am not using the encoders correctly, or something is not right. For the time I am only playing with the encoders side, then I will put the jacks together.
amba

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:50 pm    Post subject: DIY EUCLIDIAN POLYRYTHMIC SEQUENCER
Subject description: JACKS connection

Hi,

Anyone have an idea about the jacks connection. What I did is connect a cable coming from the arduino and solder it wher the diode et 200ohm resistor meet. Is this the right direction?
Ruebezahl

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No offence, but i feel like you need to learn basic schematic reading first. The project seems to be a bit above your skill level. But maybe we can help you.

For the jacks connection, should be obvious. There is a connection between 200 Ohm Resistor, the diode and the pin of the arduino. The other side of the resistor is connected to the jack (the part that is connected to the tip of the Plug later, the other connection of your jack (the sleeve) goes to ground) the other side of the diode is also going to the ground. Keep in mind that the diode is facing the right direction. Your diode should have a ring printed on it, that side with the ring will be connected to the resistor, the other side to ground. In case you're still not sure, better make a photo, so we can help you better.

For the encoders, in our project we used encoders without this board. the board already seems to have some passive components on it, not sure what they are doing.

Quote:
Secodly how can you link everything to GND on the arduino without a stripboard?

This question i don't really get. Are you working with a breadboard or what? You would need some kind of board, yes. Of course you could just solder everything together with wires, but that makes things unnecessarily hard. but if you want to put it in a case, you also need something to put the encoders on. if you just wanna play around, better use a breadboard.

amba

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:55 am    Post subject: DIY EUCLIDIAN POLYRYTHMIC SEQUENCER

[img]https://www.flickr.com/photos/190679563@N05/50519260213/in/dateposted-public/[/img]

Thanks for the reply. Yes it makes more sense now, this(img above) is how I planned to do it form the schematics. Hope I am reading it right.

I will them prepare a breadboard for the whole thing and also use the correct encoders.

Yes sorry my level is still ver low when it comes to arduino and reading schematics, I thought this one could bring me up and running.
Ruebezahl

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Haha, that's a funny "sketch" Laughing To be honest, i am still not sure what you will do, since most of the things are still unconnected. The grounds of the jacks (i guess) are connected to each other, that's right, but i don't see the diodes going to ground for example. Anyway, you seem to make it really complicated with soldering the parts to each other, that's what a board is for! Unless you want to make some cool looking sound sculptures, people usually use boards and don't just solder components together. What board is up to you, but a breadboard is the easiest for a beginner, because you don't solder things, and can easily correct errors.

edit: But the orientation of the diodes is correct. If you connect the other side to ground and the other side of the resistors to the jacks, then you're theoretically good to go. But also if you just use unprotected wires like this, the possibillity that things will touch each other is very big. I am really curious how you imagine this to look later. Do you want to put it in some kind of enclosure?

amba

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:52 am    Post subject: DIY EUCLIDIAN POLYRYTHMIC SEQUENCER

Hi so here is an image of how I interpreted the schematic.

Thanks for your replies! I hope I'll be there soon, have been testing a lot.

Also it's a bit complicatd on the encoder sides so if anyone could give me a hand on the drawing I did.

This is my arduino setup :
https://www.flickr.com/photos/190679563@N05/50544065198/in/dateposted-public/

And this is how I try to understand schematics, please tell me if I'm doing things wrong as this would be ideally planned to fit in a eurorack format.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/190679563@N05/50544941117/in/dateposted-public/
Ruebezahl

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You have a breadboard already there and a lot of space left on it, why are you soldering all those components together? Just read a bit how a breadboard works, instead of soldering you can put the components in the holes, and they connect to each other. That way you can find out if your circuit works or not. And that way you don't have to post hand drawn schematics, that are harder to understand than the original ones. Just breadboard and try, if it doesn't work you can still come back and ask.
Sorry that's about all i can help, i really have a hard time understanding your sketches...

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-fair-projects/references/how-to-use-a-breadboard

So anything that is possible to put on a board, you put on there, only the jacks and maybe the encoders (if they don't fit the breadboard) need to be wired externally.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 3 of 3 [71 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: