electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Intro to Lunettas - Document
Page 2 of 2 [41 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
RF

Audio files: 28

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

droffset wrote:
... I like the idea of 4017 based dividers that give really nice synchronous /2 /3 /4 /5 etc divisions ...

Yes! These are really useful!

The document is coming along nicely, Dr.!

bruce

"I want to make these sounds that go wooo-wooo-ah-woo-woo.”
(Herb Deutsch to Bob Moog ~1963)
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

RF wrote:
The document is coming along nicely, Dr.!

I agree!

electri-fire

Audio files: 4
G2 patch files: 4

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:55 pm    Post subject:
Subject description: divide timing in lunettas
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've used a 4017 counter, indeed hardwired to 8 steps. The 4040 is nice and does many even divisions (divide by 2, 4, 8, 16 etc) you might want.
It's the odd divisions that are not so easy to come by. Well, there's divide by "n" counters (wich I don't have) and may be not as straightforward to use.
I want to come up with a fairly small and versatile portable setup, so I'm reducing the amount of in/outs for each CMOS chip.

At any rate (well known lunetta builder speak, hehe, hi Rych), my next version 4017 will have just a clock in, a DPDT switch to select two different reset points and simultaneously send the right step pin to the output banana.
I can have two of those and still use less panelspace than my current 4017 that has 8 outs.
Also a much simpler build (aargh, all those wires) and for cheaper as well, considering the cost of multi rotary switches if you'd want adjustable reset.

I haven't built it yet, but should work. If you want to see how I planned this, I posted a little layout at the Lunetta designs thread.
MirlitronOne

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice set of articles Doc, but for the sake of the beginner could you please change the reference to the "7085 voltage regulator" to the correct "7805"?
Wink

droffset

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ha, I missed that one, thanks for bringing it up! Smile

Hey folks out there, if you're looking for specific info in the document and can't find it, please email me so I can get it added.

Edit: Spelling mistakes.
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Droffset, I apologize for not commenting on your excellent introduction doc before now. Somehow I missed this topic until now.

It's a great read. Very useful. Thanks for sharing.

I have a comment but I need to get my thoughts together first.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
droffset

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No problem at all Mosc, just glad to give a bit back to the forum after it's helped me learn so much. Smile

I'm no engineer though, so if you see blatantly wrong information let me know.

slugger

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice, thanks for this, droffset! Very handy.
tjookum

Audio files: 26

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hi droffset,

great document, it really helps having a lot of clear info in one place.

Ive been searching the forum for this, but I can't seem to get a definitive answer about power supply's. You say use the 7805 and run it at 5v, but ive seen anything form +/- 9v to +15v. Since the different power supply's dictate different parts it would be nice to have a clear list on what the pro's and con's are.

noise
RF

Audio files: 28

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

tjookum -

my 2 cents -
The CMOS does fine at 5 volts - if you are going to stay all CMOS that would be fine.. 9 is handy if you want to power it from batteries... and a bi-polar supply with 9 volt batteries is easy...
I've used 12 quite a bit - either cause I had the regulators, or because I wanted a + and - 12 volt supply to use with bipolar circuits in the Lunetta. My other equipment used + and - 12 as well. I have not seen any advantage to 15 volts...

Your mileage may vary... Smile

have fun

bruce

"I want to make these sounds that go wooo-wooo-ah-woo-woo.”
(Herb Deutsch to Bob Moog ~1963)
droffset

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What Bruce said. Smile

One thing more, a lot of the drum modules I'm looking at work with +-15volts, so that's the kind of power supply I have for that stuff. My Lunetta (which all runs on 5v, sends triggers and gates to the bigger system and it all seems to play nicely, as long as the grounds are connected. )

Rykhaard

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

droffset wrote:
What Bruce said. Smile

One thing more, a lot of the drum modules I'm looking at work with +-15volts, so that's the kind of power supply I have for that stuff. My Lunetta (which all runs on 5v, sends triggers and gates to the bigger system and it all seems to play nicely, as long as the grounds are connected. )

In my first modular building days in about '92, I went with +/-9V. Coming to wishing for a far more stable power source, I moved to a well regulated Power One +/-15V 1.5 amp supply.

For my noise machine that I started building a year ago February, I started with +/- 9V. Within a month, I tried everything in it, with my +/- 15V supply and it all worked just the same - just with higher otuput voltages. (But it will all still work with +/- 9V as well. And the -9V is only needed in the very few places that have bipolar opamps. The rest runs on the +9.

When I start building things with my PICs, they and everything connected to them will be strictly +5V.
tjookum

Audio files: 26

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks!

Im currently just testing stuff, so for now a 9v battery works perfect. I think im going to stick with 5v for the actual modular though, I have an arduino laying around here somewhere wich I want to use later on.

noise
telstarmagikistferrari

Audio files: 43

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Anybody have access to the Intro to Lunetta document? I need it!
droffset

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

telstarmagikistferrari wrote:
Anybody have access to the Intro to Lunetta document? I need it!

Oops! Didn't realize this link went dead. I'm surprised anyone still knows it exists! Very Happy

Here it is
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1V9qerry_PsXTZqt_UDx7C-wcuMe_6_gyy6M_MyAgQoA/edit?usp=sharing

Cheers

telstarmagikistferrari

Audio files: 43

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks a lot! I'm revisiting building up a Lunetta system. Will post progress here!
Page 2 of 2 [41 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Jump to: