electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Samplers
Just a sampler!
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Electronicant

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:56 pm    Post subject: Just a sampler! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi, I´m looking for a simple hardware sampler but with the highest quality. Is there any sampler which could be comparable with the best samplers on the market but with only the basic functions and without sequencer, effects, filters, keyboard etc? 16 bit or more!
jksuperstar

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What do you consider basic features? As simple as a phrase sampler? or a bit more, like pitch shifting, envelopes, loops?

Boss makes a simple sampler, with basic effects (SR-202). Many iterations of it, so for various features, look for a different model year. That's about as simple as I think they come.
kvnvk

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

really depends what you want to use it for... if all you're looking for is something along the lines of a phrase sampler or something to do loops I'd suggest either the Boss/Roland SP line (202, 303 or 404) or the Digitech JamMan pedal. if you want something to sample for drum parts and building songs just grab one of the better samplers (from what I keep reading really good samplers are going cheap on the used market right now) and just ignore all the extra bells and whistles that come loaded with it.
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't think any samplers that are 16bits or more yet don't have filters exist, actually, I don't think I ever heard of a 12 bit sampler without a filter.

Anyway, the EMU's are very good and very cheap 2nd hand as well, in the 16 bit or higher ranges I think the EMU's sound better then AKAI. Then again; AKAI stuck to the manifacturing of high-end samplers longer then the rest of the world so they still made some models that had USB support and so on. THose models would still cost a significant amount, anything else should be dirt cheap.

Mohoyoho

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There's this:
http://www.loopers-delight.com/tools/echoplex/echoplex.html

www.cdbaby.com/cd/markmahoney
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck
http://cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck2
http://www.limitedwave.com/subterraneous/
Electronicant

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I wish there was a modular sampler and some clever way of storing the sounds. The only one I can think of is the Doepfer sampler module, but that one is only 8 bit and overall as simple as a sampler can be.
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Most conventional hardware based samplers like the Akai´s have a pretty fixed architecture. The obvious next step is a computer with lots of ram and harddisk storage and a sampler app like Kontakt 2 or whatever. Many of the high end software based samplers can just as well be seen as synthesis powerhouses using samples as VCOs instead of simply being merely playback engines for those house and r&b samples collections you can get for free using bitttorrent

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Cat-A-Tonic

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
I wish there was a modular sampler and some clever way of storing the sounds. The only one I can think of is the Doepfer sampler module, but that one is only 8 bit and overall as simple as a sampler can be.

There are ways of making a sampler play nice with a modular though.
You could send the output of the sampler into a preamp/envelope follower for use as a sound source, or pull sounds in through a sequential switch.
If you had one of those Doepfer CV/Midi converters then you could use CV signals to control the sampler.
There is also the Modcan CV Recorder, and the Harvestman Tyme Sefari.
These could be used for looping/sampling.
I think Analog Systems has a delay/sampler module too.

I like my Roland SP-404. It is battery operated in case you want to take it to the park or something.... or strap it to your chest and be a robot for Halloween. batman alien dalek farao jackson dancing transformer
Arnaud06

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Electronicant wrote:

You can look into the Kurzweil K series. Even without the sampling module (Audio In), you can put samples in it (SCSI or floppy) and work them into their VAST technology. The sound is really good, the effects are awesome (I own a K2500 rack), and it really has a "modular approach".
robsol
Stream Operator

Audio files: 495

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The Akai S20 is one of the simplest samplers there is. After switching on, you are three button presses away from an instantly looped sample, and I mean instantly! Storage is floppy, which is cumbersome, but it makes for a great live performance tool.

8 voices, reduced to 4 with stereo samples, can be used as a multi-timbral module and it is quick to program. I would rather leave it on than bother with storage, esp if you have the extra 16 mb installed.

It also sounds pretty decent.

I have not seen one for sale for a while, but when they do come up they are dirt cheap.

My only gripe with it is that when you capture sounds live with it, you can some times get clicks at the loop points, which reduces it's use as a live toy. You can edit the start,end and loop points though.

Also, forget about the onboard "sequencer" - it's not useful for much.

http://www.vintagesynth.com/akai/s20.php

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/1997_articles/jul97/akais20.html

There is also the mono S01, which is a step too far into budget country in my opinion, and rarely costs any less then an S20 anyway, second hand.

jksuperstar

G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

An S20 was my first sampler...great fun! It is INSTANT, even if it uses floppies Wink I used in together with a Nord Modular (1st gen)...simply great fun.
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Samplers
Jump to: