electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
  host / artist show at your time
today> Modulator ESP Adventures In Sound
 Forum index » News... » Apple Computers
Windows XP now officially runs on Intel Macs!
Page 2 of 2 [45 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 213
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Be careful with USB. I have an evil USB port on one of my computers. It zapped a memory stick thingie and a 40 GB iPod. I get jumpy just thinking about them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
(although the music it keeps playing to me as I turn it on or off

Go "Start/Setings/ControlPanel" then goto "Sounds and Audio devices" click the "Sounds" tab and select the "no sounds" theme and all those irritating blips and no-musics will be gone. Or go through the (Program Events) list and see what you want to keep (you could save that as your own "theme" but it will be remembered regardless).

elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
Be careful with USB. I have an evil USB port on one of my computers. It zapped a memory stick thingie and a 40 GB iPod. I get jumpy just thinking about them.

It zapped an iPod? Shocked

Now that is truly evil! Send in the swiss guard.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
Go "Start/Setings/ControlPanel" then goto "Sounds and Audio devices" click the "Sounds" tab and select the "no sounds" theme and all those irritating blips and no-musics will be gone.

Thanks Jan!

Next I need to figure out how to stop it displaying several splash screens before I'm able to remove the usb stick 'safely' (on the Mac you either press 'eject' or you simply drag the icon to the trash- nice and simple.)

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
mosc wrote:

It zapped an iPod? Shocked

Shocked

I use my 128mb memory stick every day for transfering files too and fro. I'd be gutted if this happened to me. It's never happened so far touch wood- but perhaps there lies another reason to throw your PC on the skip? hehe

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm not advocating PCs. I know I'll like my Mac when I get it (it would be a reckless use of money otherwise). But I know that I won't be able to get rid of my PCs - I will still want to play Civ IV, Dungeon Siege, Half-life 2 etc,and I'm not sure that all of the other kinds of apps that I use will be available to me on the Mac. There are a couple of sites that i frequently use that demand that I browse with Internet Explorer.

My concern is that a Apple will concentrate on hardware (perhaps emphasizing cool hull designs and packaging) rather than Mac OS.

/Stefan

seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Antimon wrote:
There are a couple of sites that i frequently use that demand that I browse with Internet Explorer.

well...you can do it with a Mac too Idea

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

seraph wrote:
Antimon wrote:
There are a couple of sites that i frequently use that demand that I browse with Internet Explorer.

well...you can do it with a Mac too Idea

Quite right. Oddly, the most popular application for Mac is written by Micrsoft - Office. IE works just as badly on OSX as it does on Windows. Crying or Very sad

While here on the Apple forum, let me rant some anti-M$ stuff. What M$ does with extended standards is very annoying to me. This is the case for the IE browser. It supposedly recognizes all of the HTML standards, plus some enhancements. If you develop web pages with a M$ tool, then it's easy to use these enhancements. When you do, your pages don't work with any brower except IE. This is their way to play both sides of the street - standards and proprietary. It is very preditory and evil. -- end anti-M$ rant...

Apple does the same thing with their iTunes sytems. BTW...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Anyway, I tested Boot Camp today. It works just fine.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I see you are into boots lately. Shocked

Can Windows and OSX share any disk space so you can write files in OSX and read them later when you boot XP (and visa-versa)?

Will this boot loader let you boot Linux too?

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well.. why not simply install Linux on a partition? It is as simple as that. It has always been as simple as that. Or some other nix with mac hardware support?

And share files.. sure.. no probs. Anyways; I own VPC myself and this works just fine right now.

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/products/virtualpc/virtualpc.aspx?pid=virtualpc

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Tom, Jan posted something here that answers your question about XP and USB memory devices. I moved it to the Windows forum. See: http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-10987.html
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
IE works just as badly on OSX as it does on Windows. Crying or Very sad

FWIW I tried out Ubuntu Linux yesterday on the PC- it works very well indeed. I think if Linux is going to be this good, I may slowly move over there Cool

mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

After you get some experience with it, why not write up something for everyone on the Linux as a music workstation forum.
brinxmat

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

How about seeing Apple port Logic to GnuStep? so that it becomes platform independent?

lol

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah, Microsoft is on that train too. I hear Redmond is hiring blind transsexual buhddists.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
I hear Redmond is hiring blind transsexual buhddists.

when you say blind do you mean "computer blind" Question
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
you see...Bill Gates is a prophet with a profit Wink

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Carlo, you are the Jackie Chan of websurfing.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
zynthetix

Audio files: 10
G2 patch files: 13

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 7:36 am    Post subject: triple boot Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OnMac has successfully gotten OSX, XP, and gentoo linux triple booting via Boot camp.

http://wiki.onmac.net/forums.html/Triple_Boot_via_BootCamp
brinxmat

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=432603&tstart=0

Oh irony.

I am not the first to point any of this out, but what about WINE? Ditch the dross, get the apps.

Preliminary, but the idea's good.

Page 2 of 2 [45 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » News... » Apple Computers
Jump to: