electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Linux as a music workstation
Installing (Ubuntu) Linux alongside XP- any suggestions?
Page 2 of 2 [40 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
But what about a "comfy chair" smiley? For those moments you just know you have a captivated audience? Laughing

spooky- I was actually thinking od a 'pipe and slippers at the fire' emoticon Laughing

(or should that be 'on the fire'??? Laughing

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Getting back to the Linux thingie, I think I may just get a larger HD and partition it into 2 sections.

I'm still in the Mac OSX school of thinking where the drive doesn't need to be partitioned. But we are talking two separate OS's here arent we?

How much of a HD hog are Linux and XP? I bet XP is a bastard for eating HD???

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
I ripped Carlo's head off because it was a complete coincidence that I happenned to be fuming about that very RTFM emoticon moments earlier.

Well, I'm not for ripping anyone's head off, especially Carlo's, but I'm glad you spoke up about that RTFM icon. I think the Ubuntu forum has a good attitude about respect which is what we have here BTW. They have done a better job of expressing it. I'm going to lift some of that wording and add it to our conditions of use statement. I think one could say, "it's in the manual" instead of RTFM.

love angel love very cool

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OSX needs disk partitions too. I'm sorry
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
Blue Hell wrote:
I did read Carlo's emoticons as irony, as humour. not as cynic even.

I read this the same way Jan did.

I deeply apologize if anyone felt offended. please remove the f***ing emoticon in order to sanitize the forum Wink I stupidly thought that if it was there (the emoticon) I was allowed to use it without being censored but maybe I was wrong, anyway...I don't even know what ubuntu is Shocked

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
OSX needs disk partitions too. I'm sorry

Yes.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
I think one could say, "it's in the manual" instead of RTFM.

One of the main problems is that a lot of this computer stuff hasn't got a decent manual at all- so RTFM bares no relavence anyway.

In my experience of software- a lot of the time it's a well written manual that makes good software a hit.

Okay sometimes this isn't always the case- as good software should be easy to figure out, but for the majority of times this isn't the case.

I really don't like manuals at all- especially having to build a picture of what is to be achieved in my head by having to collate info from various opinions on a web forum.

Some people would call this being lazy. I strongly dispute that. It's about having the powers to concentrate on a single item in mind. Some people are good at this- some aren't. I most definately fall in to the second catagory.

I don't think we need an emoticon like rtfm at all. Our list membership is 3000+ (?) I'm sure there are enough people here willing to help out?

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

seraph wrote:

I deeply apologize if anyone felt offended.

No probs Carlo. It was just the wrong thing at the wrong time. Anyone can make that mistake- I'm no angel either Embarassed

Tom

jksuperstar

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If you liked Ubuntu, you might also like Knoppix. It's probably the most "famous" of Live CD's, because it was basically the first (or at least, the first very successful Live CD). Both are derivatives of Debian Linux, which has a strong "Open Source Only" attitude, though these derivatives are a bit more lazy about that.

Knoppix, however, can also be installed into a windows directory!
Try this:http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Win_Partition

I've haven't found any info on this for Ubuntu, but it may also be possible.

If you do install to it's own partition on a new drive, you will do a couple of things:
1.) Create a new partition for Linux's SWAP partition. This is basically an extension of your RAM into your hard disk. Both Windows and Macs do this as well. Linux keeps a seperate partition for it, so it can not corrupt, or be corrupted, by the other partitions of programs running. This is usually 2x your RAM size.

2.) Create a /boot directory. This is usually very small, like 50MB or so. It handles only the boot stuff, and is generally formatted as "ext2" type. I'll explain below.

3.) Create a /root partition. This will hold everything for the install, if you so choose. You can go further, and create partitions for "/home" and "/var". /home is YOUR USER data. Most of your personal data and files is kept here. /var is for extensions to the linux install, compiling your own programs from source, etc. Again, these are broken up for performance, stability, and security. It's rolled over from the days when drives where small, and a unix install would support hundreds of user accounts. I'd recommend just going with "/root", and linux will handle everything from there.

Notes on File System(FS) Types:
Windows uses 2 basic FS types: NTFS and FAT32. FAT32 is older. NTFS is newer, and more stabile. This is what you probably have XP installed as. You'll notice, if windows crashes, it doesn't run a "check disk" utility, like it used to in win98. That's because NTFS is a journaled file system, so on the disk, the OS keeps track of the work it is doing to & from the disk. So if anything crashes, it can re-trace it's steps and files won't get corrupted.

In Linux, there are MANY types of partitions. Choices, choices. Some are older but always still supported, some are designed for speed, smaller files, or for stability. Linux can access FAT32 drives, and can read NTFS, but can't write to NTFS reliably just yet. So if you ever want to pass data between Linux & windows on the same PC (like saving .wav files, or MP3's that you might access in both realms), create a FAT32 for data on this new drive of yours.

The most common and "stabile" (read- tested & proven) filesystem in Linux is EXT3. EXT2 is older, and used for things like boot because it's simple. EXT3 is a nice balance for small & large file sizes, and good performance. REISERFS is the next step, and added Journaling (like NTFS copied). I like REISERFS the best, and if offered, you should choose this one. It is one of the fastest at handling most file sizes, and is very stabile in not corrupting data due to bad disk accesses, etc. It might not be the default, so look for it during the install.
jksuperstar

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've found a few "drivers" for windows. I've not tested yet, but will post here anyway. They give Windows access into Linux partitions!

for ReiserFS:
http://rfsd.sourceforge.net/

for EXT2 and EXT3:
http://www.fs-driver.org/index.html

So, you won't need those ugly FAT32 partitions to exchange data between Windows and Linux!!
brinxmat

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I should have posted this earlier…

]https://wiki.ubuntu.com//WindowsDualBootHowTo

It explains how to resize an existing windows partition. I reckon that you will need 10Gb for a working linux install. The swap space should be big enough at 500Mb, leaving 9.5 ± Gb for the system and fun.

This approach worked fine for me, but as always, make a backup of anything you CAN'T afford to lose.

Note that XP should always be installed first anyway!

zynthetix

Audio files: 10
G2 patch files: 13

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

while we're at it:
http://ubuntustudio.com/wiki/forums.html/Welcome%2C_Musicians%21
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the ubuntu links everyone!

I've put two of them in the links section for further reference (under the Audio and Computer Resources section).

(being a proper moderator for a short while again.....every little bit helps?? Shocked Very Happy )

make

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I run a dual boot desktop with Linux & XP and this is my working method:

I like to keep both XP and Linux on separate HDD's so this is only good if you have 2 [at least]. I have a drivebay and only one dvd drive so I tend to run 3 hdd's.

1: Remove all hdd's and re-insert HDD1 which will have the XP installed on it. Remember to set this drive up with the pins on the back as the master.

2: Install XP.

3: Remove HDD1, reconfig pins so this is the slave/secondary drive and then reinsert into drivebays in the secondary position on the IDE belts.

4: Insert HDD2 which will have Linux installed on it, having set up the pin config as the master and place into the primary position in the drivebay.

5: Install your flavour of Linux.

Im sure that the Linux distro will see that there is another [non-linux] OS on the other drive and so will write this into GRUB as a boot option.

You [should] have now successfully installed both OS's on differing HDD's and they are now accessible by either changing the boot order in BIOS or by using GRUB as a boot loading chooser.

Hope this helps. If it doesn't then... [insert emoticon that is purile and signifies to go RTFM & STFU while tongue is sticking out but remaining firmly in cheek]. Wink
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
elektro80 wrote:
But what about a "comfy chair" smiley? For those moments you just know you have a captivated audience? Laughing

spooky- I was actually thinking od a 'pipe and slippers at the fire' emoticon Laughing

(or should that be 'on the fire'??? Laughing

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen. Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen. Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen. Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

Page 2 of 2 [40 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Linux as a music workstation
Jump to: