electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Jürgen Haible designs
"Son Of Storm Tide" Flanger
Page 5 of 14 [330 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, ..., 12, 13, 14 Next

interested?
yes
97%
 97%  [ 43 ]
no
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 44

StephenGiles

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

[quote="TekniK"]
jhaible wrote:
And finally, the CV wiring diagrams for the CV connections of the SOST Flanger:
http://www.jhaible.de/sonofstormtide/sost_sch7.pdf

JH.

Juergen few q's:

What is the bounce function?

Cheers

Correct me if I'm wrong but applying a well known text to the SOST:

The sum of the various control voltages is applied to U1A, "differentiator". It’s output depends upon the rate of change of the input. Thus, when the LFO changes from positive slope to negative slope, the output of U1B changes polarity. This signal is applied to U1B, a gain of 10 amplifier with a small amount of positive feedback. This feedback assures that any output from the amplifier will have at least a minimum voltage swing with a sharp rise time. This signal is then applied to U2B, which is a low frequency active filter with fairly high Q, and will oscillate about its center frequency when it receives a pulse input. The output of the filter is level shifted by U3B and applied to the other end of the Bounce control. The effect of all this circuitry is to generate a damped sinusoidal oscillation at a low frequency when the control voltage changes direction. This corresponds in classical flanging to removing the load from the reel motor. The damped oscillation in flanging is caused by the mechanical inertia of the motor—when it reaches its proper speed, it cannot stop changing speed instantly, and thus tends to overshoot, causing it to slow down, etc.

Then maybe U3C and U3D buffer the output of the Bounce control and prevent the possibility of any negative excursion getting to the clock by rectifying any negative signal output generated by the damped oscillation of the active filter.
jhaible

Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks to Scott J. for pointing it out - The Rate potentiometer was missing in the wiring diagram. I have added it now.
(Doesn't change anything on the PCB, but may be important to those who are creating a panel layout for this.)

http://www.jhaible.de/sonofstormtide/sost_sch7.pdf

http://www.jhaible.de/sonofstormtide/sonofstormtide.html

JH.

"I tell you the truth, if anyone says to this mountain, 'Go, throw yourself into the sea,' and does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen, it will be done for him. Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours." (Mk 11,23f)
oldschool57

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The SOST board arrived today. Beautiful. Amazing. Truly a piece of art. A BIG thanks again, Jurgen!
Now it's time to get busy...
Dave
Funky40

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 5

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

where to get the SIL8-4 22K Resistor Network ( in germany / or Swiss )?
I can't found the 8pin at Reichelt. They have the 22K only in 5 Pin
( prefer the network instead of soldering 4x 22Ks )
Funky40

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

CD4013:
1. it must be with buffer ?
2. when the letters (after4013) begin with B like CD4013BCN is it then allways buffered ?

same for the other CD ICs, tehy all must be buffered ?
Funky40

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I cannot load CV wiring diagramm, and it makes my PC crash.

and i really would wish to have the needed potvalues also on the BOM,
also number of switches(and poles) and jacks.
= giving an overview whats needed on one page
The Bad Producer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Funky40 wrote:
where to get the SIL8-4 22K Resistor Network ( in germany / or Swiss )?
I can't found the 8pin at Reichelt. They have the 22K only in 5 Pin
( prefer the network instead of soldering 4x 22Ks )

Rapid in the UK have the 22K array, product number:

63-0060

If shipping is too much for you, PM me (I get free shipping), maybe we can work something out?

Looking at the BOM, it looks like the 4013 must be buffered and the 4049 and 4007 must be unbuffered...

Is this interesting?

http://focus.ti.com/lit/an/scha004/scha004.pdf

Charlie

TekniK

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I got mine from burklin Funky40,rapid offers lightspeed shipping but there shipping costs are mega expensive
jhaible

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Funky40 wrote:
I cannot load CV wiring diagramm, and it makes my PC crash.

and i really would wish to have the needed potvalues also on the BOM,
also number of switches(and poles) and jacks.
= giving an overview whats needed on one page

That's an ordinary pdf file ... have you tried right click and downloading it?

Extended BOMs etc.: I'm painfully aware that the information I pesent is sparse. I can only say I hope it's a step forward compared to the schematics-only stuff I used to offer a couple of years ago, and I encourage everyone to make extended documentation available and share it between the diy community. Bill and Will's Dragonfly Alley pages are amazing in that respect ...

JH.

"I tell you the truth, if anyone says to this mountain, 'Go, throw yourself into the sea,' and does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen, it will be done for him. Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours." (Mk 11,23f)
Funky40

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jhaible wrote:

JH.

now it was working fine. ( i allways left click )

hey, i really appreciate to get your Boards Jürgen.
they all brought my modular much further. no offense meant.
if i just could find my solderstation after moving..............then i could continue to bring my haible backlog down Wink

ok, i found 22K resistor networks at Farnell
http://de.farnell.com/bourns/4608x-102-223lf/widerstand-network-22k/dp/9356606
should be the right one ? ( 4resistors, 8pins )

and thanks very much for help and offers ! i anyway must order from farnell.
jhaible

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Funky40 wrote:
jhaible wrote:

JH.

now it was working fine. ( i allways left click )

hey, i really appreciate to get your Boards Jürgen.
they all brought my modular much further. no offense meant.
if i just could find my solderstation after moving..............then i could continue to bring my haible backlog down Wink

ok, i found 22K resistor networks at Farnell
http://de.farnell.com/bourns/4608x-102-223lf/widerstand-network-22k/dp/9356606
should be the right one ? ( 4resistors, 8pins )

and thanks very much for help and offers ! i anyway must order from farnell.

Looks good, but personally I never trust them and always measure with the multimeter before I solder them in.

BTW, if 22k is hard to get, 10k or 15k or 33k will be ok, too.

JH.

Funky40

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jhaible wrote:
Looks good, but personally I never trust them and always measure with the multimeter before I solder them in.

BTW, if 22k is hard to get, 10k or 15k or 33k will be ok, too.

JH.

ok, thanks.
I'll take some more then......
whomper

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi,

Just finished building and debugging the board. Great sound!
While testing, I found out that the 'long" section did not work. Further debugging identified the problem; defective 100K resistor array. one pair was 50K and the other was 150K in value.
Swapped out for 4 x 100K and all is well now. (thanks for the tip Jurgen about not trusting resistor networks, it was my last test scenario before I would have called it a day)

Now then, as I am using the module, I am getting a fair amount of hum at the output. If I lower or increase the input level, it does not change the sound/hum ratio, meaning it might be something around the comparator.

Any hints on how to find the cause?

Home Page: http://www.yaary.com
Buy my CDs at http://www.mellowjet.de
jhaible

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

whomper wrote:
Hi,

Just finished building and debugging the board. Great sound!
While testing, I found out that the 'long" section did not work. Further debugging identified the problem; defective 100K resistor array. one pair was 50K and the other was 150K in value.
Swapped out for 4 x 100K and all is well now. (thanks for the tip Jurgen about not trusting resistor networks, it was my last test scenario before I would have called it a day)

Now then, as I am using the module, I am getting a fair amount of hum at the output. If I lower or increase the input level, it does not change the sound/hum ratio, meaning it might be something around the comparator.

Any hints on how to find the cause?

Might be an intermittent contact / bad solder joint.

JH.

vtl5c3

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There's a 33pF capacitor in the bom, under the 5mm sizes - labeled "For Clock Oscillator". Does that mean it needs to be polyfilm, or is ceramic OK?

R.
jhaible

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

vtl5c3 wrote:
There's a 33pF capacitor in the bom, under the 5mm sizes - labeled "For Clock Oscillator". Does that mean it needs to be polyfilm, or is ceramic OK?

R.

Will work with a ceramic, but will have better temperature stability with something better - thta's why I provided more space here than th eusual 2.5mm

JH.

oldschool57

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Could you please give a bit of insight as to the precise the function of the "Fine Tune" (B50k) panel pot?
Thanks!
(Sorry; somebody has to ask the "dumb guy" Q's... Embarassed )
jhaible

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

oldschool57 wrote:
Could you please give a bit of insight as to the precise the function of the "Fine Tune" (B50k) panel pot?
Thanks!
(Sorry; somebody has to ask the "dumb guy" Q's... Embarassed )

If you're using it as a resonator (for physical modelling etc.), you can fine-tune the resonanance frequency with that potentiometer.

JH.

TekniK

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Juergen,my 5 pcb's are made and now am designing a frontpanel for them.

I have 2 question for you,things that are not clear for me,if you would
like to asnwer them.

1) on your rack unit i see a led on top of the manual sweep,is this output
provided on the pcb,and what does it reflect lfo sweep or manual sweep,or?

2) the resonance function have an on/off switch,why?,when the dedicated resonance knob is at 0 its like its off,or not?

Regards

TekniK
jhaible

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

TekniK wrote:
Hi Juergen,my 5 pcb's are made and now am designing a frontpanel for them.

I have 2 question for you,things that are not clear for me,if you would
like to asnwer them.

1) on your rack unit i see a led on top of the manual sweep,is this output
provided on the pcb,and what does it reflect lfo sweep or manual sweep,or?

2) the resonance function have an on/off switch,why?,when the dedicated resonance knob is at 0 its like its off,or not?

Regards

TekniK

Wonderful front panel!

LED: See http://www.jhaible.de/sonofstormtide/sost_sch7.pdf

Resonance: Sometimes switching something in isn't the same as dialing in. My mixing console has mute switches *and* faders, too! Smile

Both, the Power On LED and the Resonance switch are optional, of course.

JH.

TekniK

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Juergen!

Oh,i forgot to scroll down the pdf,thats why i did not see the led implementing ,stupid me ! lol
jhaible

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

TekniK wrote:
Thanks Juergen!

Oh,i forgot to scroll down the pdf,thats why i did not see the led implementing ,stupid me ! lol

Suddenly switching a certain, pre-set amount of resonance in (instead of turning up a knob) is most usefull of drums, btw.

JH.

TekniK

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jhaible wrote:
TekniK wrote:
Thanks Juergen!

Suddenly switching a certain, pre-set amount of resonance in (instead of turning up a knob) is most usefull of drums, btw.

JH.

yes,i understand,am gonna implement the switch in my layout.
Fetafarmer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm having trouble finding AA143 germanium diodes in the states. Mouser has a 1N34A from NTE; Small Bear sells an unspecified "work-alike for 1N34a and others," as well as a 1N270.

Do the Ge diodes need to match the "25V, 0,5A" specs that, for example, Reichelt give for an AA143?

Thanks,
Kevin
jhaible

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Fetafarmer wrote:
I'm having trouble finding AA143 germanium diodes in the states. Mouser has a 1N34A from NTE; Small Bear sells an unspecified "work-alike for 1N34a and others," as well as a 1N270.

Do the Ge diodes need to match the "25V, 0,5A" specs that, for example, Reichelt give for an AA143?

Thanks,
Kevin

Just use whatever small Ge diode you find. 1N34A will be great.

JH.

Page 5 of 14 [330 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, ..., 12, 13, 14 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Jürgen Haible designs
Jump to: