electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
2021/2022 BUILD PHOTOS
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 2 of 3 [75 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

no knobs yet and not the best toner transfer ever but I finally have an Elements and it even works. Razz
I only did a quick test but it has some nice sounds and can go quite orchestral.

thanks

Thank you very very much for the PCB Alan!
sorry it took so long to finish. Embarassed

Elements - 01.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  367.69 KB
 Viewed:  264 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

Elements - 01.jpg

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DES

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very nice!
wakyct

Audio files: 12

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cool panel!

I hadn't heard Elements and just watched a video, looks really fun!
Grumble

Audio files: 30

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Built a wav trigger into euroformat.
This is midi controlled.

AlanP

Audio files: 41

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'd heard of the Tsunami Wav Trigger, but hadn't realised that they had that model as well. It sounds good!

Phobos, it's a fun module!
Grumble

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Got mine from: https://www.antratek.com/wav-trigger

They have 3 types: wavtrigger, tsunami and the mp3trigger.

edit: missed the LITTLE SOUNDIE AUDIO PLAYER

analogmonster

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:57 am    Post subject: Formant Poly Demo
Subject description: Short 3-voice polyphonic patch demo
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Reactivated my Formant polyphonic synthesizer solution from the year 2004 and had a go at some old and nearly forgotten software bugs in my UCVM module and my poly keyboard

YouTube

ucvm_gesamt.jpg
 Description:
Universal Control Voltage Module
 Filesize:  46.17 KB
 Viewed:  8783 Time(s)

ucvm_gesamt.jpg

un_kbd_raw.jpg
 Description:
MIDI Keyboard
 Filesize:  117.6 KB
 Viewed:  231 Time(s)

un_kbd_raw.jpg

un_kbd.jpg
 Description:
I am not the master of a metal rasp
 Filesize:  47.03 KB
 Viewed:  201 Time(s)

un_kbd.jpg

Carsten

Analogmonster: https://www.analog-monster.de/index_en.html
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/TheAnalogmonster
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/analogmonster-1
Cynosure
Site Admin

Audio files: 82

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here are some things I did earlier this year:

DIY Eurorack Modular Case PSU and USB

DIY Monitor Controller

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I finally have a Benjolin Smile

Actually I finished it about 2 months ago and used it during the September Equinox concert and a recent halloween set,
but I mistakenly ordered only one knob of each type so had to wait untill I was ready to place another order. doh

Benjolin - 01.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  224.95 KB
 Viewed:  210 Time(s)

Benjolin - 01.jpg

Benjolin - 02.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  196.99 KB
 Viewed:  206 Time(s)

Benjolin - 02.jpg

Benjolin - 03.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  258.88 KB
 Viewed:  221 Time(s)

Benjolin - 03.jpg

Benjolin - 04.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  311.33 KB
 Viewed:  215 Time(s)

Benjolin - 04.jpg

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

And another project finished, a Video Inverter (inverts chroma and luma).

VideoInverter - 01.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  242.41 KB
 Viewed:  169 Time(s)

VideoInverter - 01.jpg

VideoInverter - 02.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  269.51 KB
 Viewed:  158 Time(s)

VideoInverter - 02.jpg

VideoInverter - 03.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  238.45 KB
 Viewed:  141 Time(s)

VideoInverter - 03.jpg

wakyct

Audio files: 12

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That looks great! Nice work.
dk

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Both of those look great PHOBoS!
elmegil

Audio files: 16

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lovely work PHOBoS....
Skrog Productions

Audio files: 155

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

they look fantastic Phobos , great work Smile
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks guys! have another one Wink

The Phosterizer. a video posterizer effect which is a modified version of an Elektor Magazine video effect generator (June 1983 issue).
The enclosure used to be a bench power supply, hence the holes in the sides. I was thinking of covering it up with some wood but
I don't think it's worth wasting material and time on, it would just make it more bulky. Maybe I'll glue some thin black cardboard or
plastic on it. Connector and switch on the backside are a last minute addition so not labeled. Haven't been able to record it properly
as capturing and encoding makes it all kinds of blurry but you can find some earlier tests here and here.

VideoPhosterizer - 01.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  278.39 KB
 Viewed:  111 Time(s)

VideoPhosterizer - 01.jpg

VideoPhosterizer - 02.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  258.86 KB
 Viewed:  113 Time(s)

VideoPhosterizer - 02.jpg

VideoPhosterizer - 03.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  213.79 KB
 Viewed:  122 Time(s)

VideoPhosterizer - 03.jpg

Last edited by PHOBoS on Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Grumble

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wind controller.
A pressure sensor is read with a BluePill STM32, programmed with the Arduino IDE.
The waveform of the pressure is displayed on an Oled display.
the output is from a multiplying DAC, so with a potmeter I can set the amplitude, while with the rotary encoder I can set the offset, and by pressing the switch of the encoder, the output of the pressure sensor (I2C controlled) is calibrated to 0 volt out.
Also a gate is implemented, when pressure is applied, the gate goes HIGH, and goes LOW again when there is no more pressure measured.
About every 30mSec a measurement is taken.

press-side.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  748.38 KB
 Viewed:  121 Time(s)

press-side.jpg

press-front.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  323.24 KB
 Viewed:  119 Time(s)

press-front.jpg

analogmonster

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Grumble wrote:
Wind controller.
A pressure sensor is read with a BluePill STM32, programmed with the Arduino IDE.
The waveform of the pressure is displayed on an Oled display.
the output is from a multiplying DAC, so with a potmeter I can set the amplitude, while with the rotary encoder I can set the offset, and by pressing the switch of the encoder, the output of the pressure sensor (I2C controlled) is calibrated to 0 volt out.
Also a gate is implemented, when pressure is applied, the gate goes HIGH, and goes LOW again when there is no more pressure measured.
About every 30mSec a measurement is taken.

Which software did you use for 3D printing? And have you printed the poti knobs also?

Carsten

Analogmonster: https://www.analog-monster.de/index_en.html
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/TheAnalogmonster
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/analogmonster-1
Grumble

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No, the knobs are from aliexpress, the software I used for the 3d drawing is Autodesk Fusion 360.
Grumble

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

An Eurorack Module around the YMF704, this chip has GM midi on board and can play Wave-tables ánd FM-synthesis.
For now it's only playing Wave-Table sounds, but on the module there also is a BluePill that should be able to set the FM Synthesis parameters.

kkissinger

Audio files: 42

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 4:55 pm    Post subject: Upgrade to vintage modules (updated) Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Has been a while since I've built anything new however my synthesizer has had a long-standing problem that I solved today.

The issue was I noticed distortion on the VCOs when tuned above 2500hz. At first I suspected a power supply issue but a quick check of the schematics indicated that the modules all had filter capacitors, etc.

However, the old oscillators' circuits did not include ferrite beads. So, I added ferrite beads in series with the power supply input on each module and happily the distortion disappeared. Indeed, the oscillator signals (most likely the square waves) were bleeding through the power supply buss.

Though I haven't built any new modules, I enjoy modifying the old ones to work better-than-new!

Update!

Well, I spoke too soon. Indeed, the ferrite beads helped however there was still bleedthrough.

I finally found the culprit! Turns out that in the Aries module designs, every square wave output -- from clocks, LFOs, and VCOs feeds a voltage divider (which in turn, feeds the output jack). The resistor values are relatively low (390 ohms and 1500 ohms). In other words, every square wave output was connected to the ground bus through a 1500 ohm resistor! Arrgh... my ground bus didn't stand a chance!

Anyway, I don't really see the need for a voltage divider and modified the output simply with a 10K protection resistor in series with the output jack and no feed to the ground bus. I know that 10K is a high value -- what it accomplishes is that this resistance reduces the load on the oscillator which, in turn, can pull down the power supply buss on the PCB and can be transmitted to the power supply busses.

I haven't done all the oscillators yet -- I started with the clocks. I have still to do the LFOs and will do the VCOs last. I suspect that I may need to mess with the values of the protection resistors on the VCOs but that remains to be seen.

I am not sure why Aries chose to run the square waves through voltage dividers (they didn't do this with other waveforms). I don't know why they chose such small resistance values for the voltage dividers. There were likely reasons that made sense in the 1970s that don't apply now with current technology.

Thanks for indulging me this long post. Details such as this make the difference between creativity and frustration. I have been fighting and working around this issue for a long time. Indeed, it was hard to feel creative when the tone of the VCOs was unsteady and harsh.

Ar-341Oscillators.jpg
 Description:
Aries Ar-341 Voltage-controlled Oscillators
 Filesize:  2.46 MB
 Viewed:  106 Time(s)

Ar-341Oscillators.jpg

PERFORMANCE

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

PHOBoS wrote:
I finally have a Benjolin Smile

Actually I finished it about 2 months ago and used it during the September Equinox concert and a recent halloween set,
but I mistakenly ordered only one knob of each type so had to wait untill I was ready to place another order. doh

Woaaaah, cool - any board layout by chance? I'll gite it a try on stripboard but maybe I'll turn mad doing this so any inspiration appreciated!

EDIT: Late to the 2021 party, I know, I know Very Happy
elmegil

Audio files: 16

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Benjolin, if you are OK with Euro and SMD

https://github.com/forestcaver/Benjolin

I'm not Forest Caver, but my understanding is he did get permission to release it this way.
PERFORMANCE

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elmegil wrote:
Benjolin, if you are OK with Euro and SMD

https://github.com/forestcaver/Benjolin

I'm not Forest Caver, but my understanding is he did get permission to release it this way.

Hey! Thanks for that - I already got all the schems and stuff (Euro-conversion...) but was especially interested in Phobos stripboard-/ veroboard-layout!
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

PERFORMANCE wrote:
Woaaaah, cool - any board layout by chance? I'll gite it a try on stripboard but maybe I'll turn mad doing this so any inspiration appreciated!

EDIT: Late to the 2021 party, I know, I know Very Happy

It's pad per hole perfboard and the largest one I soldered to date. I'll see if I can post a layout but I design them with Sprint-Layout
which isn't the most convenient when it comes to sharing layouts, at least not the version I have. Note that I did add some mods to
the original benjolin circuit, inspired by casperelectronics, so I guess I schould upload the schematic aswell.

Grumble

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quad VCA/Mixer.
Also useable with CV-es (DC coupled and not inverting) at the individual outputs and AC coupled at the mix output.

qvcamix.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  882.47 KB
 Viewed:  104 Time(s)

qvcamix.jpeg

Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 2 of 3 [75 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: