electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
  host / artist show at your time
today> Modulator ESP Adventures In Sound
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Yamaha CS30 OSC SYNC modification?
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
radek tymecki

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:31 am    Post subject:  Yamaha CS30 OSC SYNC modification?
Subject description: 24db mod - SOLVED!
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've found CS15 modification guide

http://homepage.mac.com/synth_seal/html/ds_cs15mod.html

Found some similarities with cs30 and did LFO mod. Still I'm curious how to make this full 24db mod in CS30? Anyone?

Last edited by radek tymecki on Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:13 am; edited 3 times in total
yusynth

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Radek

I have no CS30 but from the schematics if I wanted to add a 24dB/octave LP function here is what I would do :

CS30-MOD-24dB-sch.gif
 Description:
Schematics modification, the connection from the HP output of VCF1 to VCF2 is broken and a toggle switch is inserted to switch between the LP and HP outputs of VCF1. Obviously if you use a three voices switch you could also add the BP output of VCF1
 Filesize:  34.83 KB
 Viewed:  396 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

CS30-MOD-24dB-sch.gif

CS30-MOD-24dB-PCB.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  155.6 KB
 Viewed:  431 Time(s)

CS30-MOD-24dB-PCB.gif

radek tymecki

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey Smile

Thanx Yves!
radek tymecki

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There is also little problem with my Yammy, that i figured yesterday.

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

When i set VCF 2 volume to 0 I can still hear it. I don't know what trimmer should I use to get it proper working Sad

here's service manual

http://manuals.fdiskc.com/flat/Yamaha%20CS-30%20Service%20Manual.zip
slacker

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't think there is a trimmer to adjust. The VCF 2 volume knob in the VCA section is PVR2 on page 11 of the service manual, this is wired as a voltage divider and when turned all the way down should give no sound from VCF2.
I would check all the solder connections to that potentiometer to make sure they are good. If you can also check that when the volume is turned all the way down the wipe (the middle pin) is connected to ground.
radek tymecki

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ok i'll chceck that. when i turn it to 0 it has same volume as vcf1 set to 10. when i turn vcf2 to 10 it is few times louder
tiego

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 6:22 am    Post subject: CS30 Filter in series Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi there
New to this forum, thanks to it and the people posting I managed to do the LFO speed hi range adjustment mod and the external sequencer gate mod altogether. I may add that I am no tech at all. I had to check on the net for the polarity of a transistor and had a problem when it came to measure the voltage out of the module to mod!
I am now interested in the Filter yusynth mod, but I was surprised to see the filter specs on the schematics: 6DB slope for HP and LP, 12DB for BP only!

cs30_09.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  156.69 KB
 Viewed:  497 Time(s)

cs30_09.gif

tiego

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 6:51 am    Post subject: more CS30 mods Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Over the serial filter 24 or 12 or 18DB/oct mod, I really would like to interface the CS30 to other gear, and I would really be able to externally control the VCFs (and LFO...) ...from synths, KORG MS04 or MSO1 pedal, Frostwave Beam (IR sensor) or Kenton or my Pulse + ( don't know if it should be linear or Log control though...)
Hope this can be accessible for an electro dummy like I.
meaning: I can solder, I have a simple tester , even have a scope somewhere in stock. But not really able to read a schematic...yet
Help would be appreciated nonetheless

The Fader for EG3 release is leaving me, if anybody knows where to find one...
here's a pic of the back of my CS as of today...

P1140114.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  4.16 MB
 Viewed:  380 Time(s)

P1140114.JPG

yusynth

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: CS30 Filter in series Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

tiego wrote:
I was surprised to see the filter specs on the schematics: 6DB slope for HP and LP, 12DB for BP only!

It is a typo of this manual, actually the corrrect legend should be LP 12dB, HP 12 dB and BP 6dB.

tiego

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for that precision
that LP sounded a bit steep for 6db/oct...

Anyhow, reading your previous post about chaining the 2 Filters thoroughly, assuming i was going to have the BD VCF to the VCF2 thru that 3 position switch,I am wondering: where should I solder the switch pin to on the PCB? ( Dohh)

sonically
Tiego
radek tymecki

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i've managed to perform vcf mods that Yves showed

radek tymecki

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've contacted Eric about his modifications in CS15. He sent me those pics. hope that they'll be helpful to some of You. anyone knows how to transfer SYNC mod to CS30?

ATGANI

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:55 am    Post subject: Re: CS30 Filter in series Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

tiego wrote:
Hi there
New to this forum, thanks to it and the people posting I managed to do the LFO speed hi range adjustment mod and the external sequencer gate mod altogether. I may add that I am no tech at all. I had to check on the net for the polarity of a transistor and had a problem when it came to measure the voltage out of the module to mod!
I am now interested in the Filter yusynth mod, but I was surprised to see the filter specs on the schematics: 6DB slope for HP and LP, 12DB for BP only!

Hi there - sorry to dig this up from 10 years back! Do you happen to have the instructions for the sequencer clock input mod on the CS30? I found one online but not sure it's correct as someone tried it and had no success (could be them or the mod though of course!), thanks, Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: