electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
  host / artist show at your time
today> Modulator ESP Adventures In Sound
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Jürgen Haible designs
Schulte Compact A Phasing
Page 8 of 27 [660 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, ..., 25, 26, 27 Next
jhaible

Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hachiman wrote:
please stay ontopic ...! I doubt you get answer anyway.

now how about the CV into the phaser? Laughing

Well, the jacks for remote control do *not* accept CVs. (You need insulated jacks, and the sleeve is not grounded!) That's not elegant, but close to the original with its multi-function DIN jack.
Nevertheless, you *should* be able to feed a CV into the *Tip* of a TRS plug into the AMOUNT jack, with Sleeve and Ring both *unconnected*, and a connection of the Phaser's signal GND to the GND of the CV-producing device. The interesting CV range will be about 0V ... +10V in that case.
This is completely untested - yet.

Oh, and I don't plan to offer a tape delay.

JH.

"I tell you the truth, if anyone says to this mountain, 'Go, throw yourself into the sea,' and does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen, it will be done for him. Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours." (Mk 11,23f)
ericcoleridge

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: More projects Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Henrik wrote:
Hi. For future projects....Would it be possible to make boards for a tape delay with CV control? I´d like to see something like the Fulltone Tube Tape Delay with CV control in my modular Smile

Sorry for this off topic.

I have a Korg SE500, that has CV control over tape speed, and it's a little disappointing actually. Unfortunately, it takes the motor a long time to respond to the in-coming CV signal so that the ferquency change is not very dramatic. It does give intesting results sending LFOs and modulations, but for dramtic delay shifts, it doesn't really work.

Of course, I don't know if this is a "flaw" of the Korg design itself, or a design hurdle in general for voltage controlling electric motors.
jhaible

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: More projects Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ericcoleridge wrote:
Henrik wrote:
Hi. For future projects....Would it be possible to make boards for a tape delay with CV control? I´d like to see something like the Fulltone Tube Tape Delay with CV control in my modular Smile

Sorry for this off topic.

I have a Korg SE500, that has CV control over tape speed, and it's a little disappointing actually. Unfortunately, it takes the motor a long time to respond to the in-coming CV signal so that the ferquency change is not very dramatic. It does give intesting results sending LFOs and modulations, but for dramtic delay shifts, it doesn't really work.

Of course, I don't know if this is a "flaw" of the Korg design itself, or a design hurdle in general for voltage controlling electric motors.

Just think of the extreme mechanical stress on everything, if you'd, for instance, tried to achieve transposing the contents of the tape by 1 octave (by doubling the speed) *without* portamento.

But you should really start a new topic for that - please!

JH.

"I tell you the truth, if anyone says to this mountain, 'Go, throw yourself into the sea,' and does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen, it will be done for him. Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours." (Mk 11,23f)
etaoin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Anyone in Germany willing and able to order these heatsinks from Reichelt and send them to The Netherlands? All expenses paid of course. Please PM if you can...

EDIT:
No need to reply anymore. This should be covered!

Last edited by etaoin on Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Serenadi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Etaoin, you'll have pm.
morbank

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:37 am    Post subject: Trouble finding parts? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello All, I'm new to this list and I accidentally posted this as new post but I meant to post it here, so sorry for the double post...

I'm eagerly awaiting the pcb from JH and while I wait I thought I'd try and get a head start on tracking down some parts. I have pretty limited experience shopping for parts and I'm already having a tough time here in the US with some of them so any help answering the following questions would be greatly appreciated!

1. Are the heatsinks exact dimensions crucial? I've found the right style of heatsink but then dimensions never match up!

2. The trimpots, Again I can't seem to find the right combo for value and size.

3. Can the Capacitor voltage be as high as 50 or 100v? And I'm finding many specs don't show the spacing measurements or even what type of capacitor it is.

4. Any idea why I can't find the 120Ohm, 5 Watt resistor?

5. The closest I've come to finding the lamps is 6v 100mA, but they are $20. And no trace of the holders!

6. And while I can find the fuses I've had no luck with the holders either.

7. And no sign of the 2p2t relay as well.

8. And lastly, are the board connectors called something different here in the states? Sockets maybe?

9. Any recommendations for places where you guys have found some of the parts I'm having trouble locating?

So far I've visited Digi-key, Mouser, All Electronics (who's retail store is near my work), Rapid Electronics, Jameco, Allied Electronics. I also got some info on a few new spots from replies to my first post, Futurlec and Apexelectronics which is another store near my work.

Sorry for all the clue-less-ness but I'm determined to do this project justice and hopefully someone here can point me in the right direction.
-Clay Morrow
jhaible

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Trouble finding parts? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

morbank wrote:
Hello All, I'm new to this list and I accidentally posted this as new post but I meant to post it here, so sorry for the double post...

I'm eagerly awaiting the pcb from JH and while I wait I thought I'd try and get a head start on tracking down some parts. I have pretty limited experience shopping for parts and I'm already having a tough time here in the US with some of them so any help answering the following questions would be greatly appreciated!

1. Are the heatsinks exact dimensions crucial? I've found the right style of heatsink but then dimensions never match up!

Dimensions are not crucial.
The advantage of the ones I've chosen is that they can be soldered into th eboard, thus are mechanically fixed, and won't touch each other even though the gap betweene them is small. Therefore thy don't need to be insulated from th etransistors and voltage regulators. (They carry voltage, though, so don't short them with a screwdriver etc. !)
Alternatively, you can insulate every transistor and voltage regulator, and allow the heatsinks tuching each other. Could even be mounted on one single heatsink then, if you find a good mechanical solution.

Quote:
2. The trimpots, Again I can't seem to find the right combo for value and size.

Look around. These are of a *very* common size.

Quote:
3. Can the Capacitor voltage be as high as 50 or 100v? And I'm finding many specs don't show the spacing measurements or even what type of capacitor it is.

Sure. you can always use higher voltage rating. just make sure that they won't bee to big in size, so they will still fit on the board.

Quote:
4. Any idea why I can't find the 120Ohm, 5 Watt resistor?

Honestly, no. Every good electronics shop should have 5 watt resistors.

Quote:
5. The closest I've come to finding the lamps is 6v 100mA, but they are $20. And no trace of the holders!

7V 100mA lamps may be hard to get outside Europe.
I know someone has started organizing a group buy from Reichelt. I'll let you know (on the forum) when I know more.
Alternatively, you can experiment with 6.3V 100mA lamps, and two 1N4002 diodes in series. (They go where the two wire bridges are shown on the PCB) This is untested, though. I'm pretty sure that there will be a way to organize getting 7V lamps from Europe.

Quote:
6. And while I can find the fuses

Glad to heat this!

Quote:
I've had no luck with the holders either.

I expect a similar solution as for th elamps themselves.
Alternatively, you can simply solder the lamps into the board with two pieces of wire. They are operating way below their nominal rating in this circuit, so I don't expect you'll ever have to change them.

Quote:
7. And no sign of the 2p2t relay as well.

You don't need a specific brand. DIL relays are very common, from various manufacturers. The Meder seems to be obsolete. A Finder 12V DIL relay works fine (tested!) - othere brands will work also.

Quote:
8. And lastly, are the board connectors called something different here in the states? Sockets maybe?

Can someone from the USA chime in here?

JH.

jhaible

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Trouble finding parts? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

morbank wrote:

So far I've visited Digi-key, Mouser, All Electronics (who's retail store is near my work), Rapid Electronics, Jameco, Allied Electronics. I also got some info on a few new spots from replies to my first post, Futurlec and Apexelectronics which is another store near my work.

Hmm ...
I have seen heatsinks with *exactly* the same dimensions at Mouser. That's why I've chosen them in the first place.
What i didn't do was actually ordering them from Mouser (I just compared data sheets from Mouser and Reichelt).
And what, unfortunately, I didn't do either, was writing down the mouaser number. But they are there, absolutely.

Same goes for the relays. I don't believe none of these shops have DIL relays. I'd expect them *all* to have them. (Not the Meder brand, though.)

The only thing that *will* be a little harder to get are the lamps.
Either you get them from Reichelt (Group buy ...), or maybe one of the small shops who also offered TDA1022s for the Triple Chorus put them in stock.
If nothing else works, you can go the 6.3V + 1N4002 route.

JH.

etaoin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I got mine from the Dutch store http://www.elektronica-online.nl/

They do seem to have an international store as well, although I don't have any experience with that. It does cary E10 7V 100mA as well though:
http://www.elektronica-online.com/target/content_details.php?id=5428

Last edited by etaoin on Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
jhaible

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Etaoin wrote:
I got mine from the Dutch store http://www.elektronica-online.nl/

They do seem to have an international store as well, although I don't have any experience with that. It does cary E10 7V 100mA as well though:
http://www.elektronica-online.com/target/content_details.php?id=5428&PHPSESSID=444af9be03ed594db846a68f0dc7c278

Excellent. Thanks for posting this!

JH.

morbank

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow thanks guys! elektronica worked out great for the bulbs, although they didn't seem to have the holders...
JH, I'm reading over your comments now and will report back with any findings. Thanks again for all the help.
-Clay
morbank

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just following up on my search for parts. I've found most everything now and I thought I would share some info for the parts that were hard for me to track down here in the US.

Mouser finds:

Heatsink:
532-523002T00
TO-220, VERT 13.6 TR

Trimpots:
531-PT10H-1K
1Kohms 10mm Rnd

531-PT10H-500K
500Kohms 10mm Rnd

Fuse Holder:
441-EPD2005
Fuse Block 5x20mm

Relay:
817-A-12W-K
Mini Signal 12VDC

Lamp Holders (8th from the bottom):
http://www.greenweld.co.uk/acatalog/Shop_Bulbs_199.html

I still can't find the 2, 3, and 5 pin board connectors so if anyone has a US source please let me know.
-Clay
jhaible

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Not tested myself, just quoting Serenadi from the Frequency Shifter thread:

they are called MTA 100 connectors.

JH.

morbank

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:27 pm    Post subject: MTA 100 Connectors Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks JH. Do these (Option C) look right?

http://www.mouser.com/catalog/632/1223.pdf

Polorized Headers or Friction Lock Headers?

-Clay
jhaible

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: MTA 100 Connectors Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

morbank wrote:
Thanks JH. Do these (Option C) look right?

http://www.mouser.com/catalog/632/1223.pdf

Polorized Headers or Friction Lock Headers?

-Clay

Option C looks closest to the PSK types I'm using.

JH.

qwave

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I received the board today.

Thanks !

Till "Qwave" Kopper

http://www.till-kopper.de
Clack

Audio files: 5
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi,

I have a few quick questions if someone doesn't mind answering - or jurgen if he is not to busy?

im building it into a metal box,

whats the smallest transformer I can use? I mean what region of current will this need?

Would there be any point in heatsinking the regulators to the case? I understand you cant electronically contact a regulator to chassis ground i will insulate that - pointless maybe

Im going to try it with 6.5v 300mA 0.97W bulbs ill say what happens - need a good stock of bulbs incase i drop it or they blow or somthing

jhaible

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mr Clack wrote:

whats the smallest transformer I can use? I mean what region of current will this need?

Less than 200mA.

Quote:
Would there be any point in heatsinking the regulators to the case? I understand you cant electronically contact a regulator to chassis ground i will insulate that - pointless maybe

Yes, if you use insulation between the transistors / regulators and the heatsink, you can fix the heatsinks to the (grounded !!) chassis.
It's the better solution thermally, anyway. But you have to keep wires short to prevent oscillation.

Quote:
6.5v 300mA 0.97W

One of these numbers must be wrong.

JH.

Clack

Audio files: 5
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

[quote="jhaible"]
Mr Clack wrote:

Quote:
6.5v 300mA 0.97W

One of these numbers must be wrong.

JH.

hmm yes - I meant to post this one

6.5V 150mA 0.6W 70

from Here

sorry for the fuss - ill just buy them from the dutch place see what happens

thanks for the info it was helpfull Very Happy

softfin

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks JH! I received my boards today. I didn't get any LDRs, though. I suppose they will be shipped separately later...?
jhaible

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

softfin wrote:
Thanks JH! I received my boards today. I didn't get any LDRs, though. I suppose they will be shipped separately later...?

Have you looked between the two boards? The LDRs should be sandwiched there ...

If you don't have them - can you tell me under what name you have ordered? (I've sold a few boards without LDRs after the LDR-order-deadline, too - just making sure you're not among these.)

JH.

softfin

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jhaible wrote:

Have you looked between the two boards? The LDRs should be sandwiched there ...

Embarassed Now I have. All LDRs are included like they should!
b-funk

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i populated my first board, and besides i have the wrong relays, it´s working. it´s working GREAT!!!

cool stuff, really...

i´ll post some pics tomorrow...

best wishes,

tobias
Luka

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

boards arrived in australia
thanks jurgen

http://www.last.fm/user/prblmchild
morbank

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:51 pm    Post subject: Capacitors? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello All, sounds like some of you are already playing with your phasers! As for me i've nearly got all the components, but I can't find the right sizes for some of the capacitors. If anyone can point me towards finding the following (preferably on Mouser), I'd greatly appreciate it!

1 x 33pF Ceramic (2.5mm spacing)
1 x 680pF Ceramic (2.5mm spacing)
1 x 1nF Ceramic (2.5mm spacing)
8 x 33nF (Cx) (5mm or 7.5mm spacing)
1 x 100nF (u1) (5mm)
1 x 220nF (u22) (5mm or 7.5mm spacing)
1 x 220nF (u22) (5mm spacing)
1 x 1uF (5mm or 7.5mm or 10mm spacing)

Also, any tips for what transformer to get and where to connect it would help too.
Thanks, Clay
Page 8 of 27 [660 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, ..., 25, 26, 27 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Jürgen Haible designs
Jump to: