electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » The layout factory
The Liquid Hihat - NEW VIDEO-Dec.1508
Page 3 of 5 [116 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm warming my iron up! Very Happy
creatorlars

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm definitely interested in one of these PCBs. Smile
Danno Gee Ray

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So am I.
Dragon's Lair

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Chill Uncle K, remember you still have that "Appendage" to play around with Laughing
Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh, don't you worry about that!
I always find time to play with the Appendage! Laughing

Rykhaard

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Whoa! Surprised I can't wait til the Beta gets here for testing! Everything else'll be put on hold for the test, once it's here. Smile Smile

Thank you greatly for all of the work that you've done for it!! Very Happy
Rykhaard

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My beta board arrived today! Bug checking is done and construction will start on Tuesday morning. Smile
All else is on hold until the beta build is completed and testing has begun.

The 4 of you that I have items to mail to, will FINALLY occur this coming payday / Thursday.

I wish I had known what it costs to get a car tuned up. Sad If it weren't for that, 10 days ago, things would have been mailed back then. Sorry about that everyone. Sad
Dego

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The car is always a happy expense. NOT.

I am just glad that you are on it again. Smile

Think this is going to be a great module.
fonik

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ryk, dan, dave,

i had some talk about this module with ryk a while ago. i'd thought it would be a good idea to have an AR and a VCA on board to, so the liquidHH would only need a trigger to work as a kind of standalone module. Very Happy
what do you think about it? would it be too late to incorporate this into the design/layout? however, one could add this later on a perfboard...

Rykhaard

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dego wrote:
The car is always a happy expense. NOT.

Exactly! 1st time experience for me. From THAT cost, I'll now learn about doing as much of it myself, to save money as I can. Haven't even been able to buy a single part since the tuneup, due to it's cost. Ah well. Payday is only 2 days away. Very Happy

Quote:

I am just glad that you are on it again. Smile

Think this is going to be a great module.

Credit will have to be extended to Dragon's Lair on that one, for taking it ahead. I myself had to get some other testing done FOR the Liquid HiHat, but my sequencer's development and building was taking up almost every available thinking / building moment that I was having available to me. Embarassed Hence - leaving the LHH in limbo.
I'm much-o glad that the LHH has now come to this point. The first Beta report will be posted here within days, including video(s). Very Happy

Last edited by Rykhaard on Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Rykhaard

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

fonik wrote:
ryk, dan, dave,

i had some talk about this module with ryk a while ago. i'd thought it would be a good idea to have an AR and a VCA on board to, so the liquidHH would only need a trigger to work as a kind of standalone module. Very Happy
what do you think about it? would it be too late to incorporate this into the design/layout? however, one could add this later on a perfboard...

I am quite FOR that idea myself as well. In a related parallel move to that, after having recently built 1 of Ray Wilson's Drum Triggers, that I tried out with the piezo transducer still seated in an alarm clock that I bought at the dollar store - thought that it would be great TO have the Drum Controller built INTO the LHH! Ray's Drum Trigger provides a velocity sensitive Attack Decay envelope generator. I (of course) modified that, to give it a changeable Decay time and it works beautifully with the LHH. Depending on what level you set the Decay amount control at, your velocity can determine whether you're playing a Closed or Open Hihat.

The LHH is currently at beta though. So I don't know if Dragon's Lair would wish to redo the layout with an addition for it, or not. As well - whether Ray would allow his circuit to be used as well, or not. Mmmm.

?? Thoughts??
Dragon's Lair

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Personally, I would rather have them all on separate modules, to me the whole idea of having a modular synth is that you can plug anything into anything, once you start putting all the "options" on one board, you limit what you can do with it, you may want to use the drum trigger or vca with other modules. I find this is a growing trend on the DIY stuff, the designers are adding everything they can think of, to make it an "all in one" module, to me that is no longer a modular, I like my modules to be simple, single purpose modules, if I want complex I just patch more modules together.
So I really don't want to redesign it to add all the extras, I already have lots of VCA's, (and I'm working on a multi trigger module using touch sensors) but I have no objections to someone else doing it, but when I get some time, I'll look at it to maybe incorporate a header for a future daughter board.

Last edited by Dragon's Lair on Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Danno Gee Ray

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Send Ray an email asking for permission.

MK-1 Mod-0 Daughterboard...If the current board designer is unable to re-do the layout, add the new functions on a separate board as a an add on or enhancement.
Rykhaard

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

From what Dave had said, I can agree with that point.

Extending it further from what Danny said as well - last night at work, another thought that I had was expanding Ray's Drum Trigger, to have multiple Attack Decay EGs from it, at the very least. The 1 that I've modified it for, opens up the sound manipulating possibilities HUGELY. Having at least a 2nd one would be all that much the wider! Smile 1 for amplitude (VCA) and another for Pitch or Filter Cutoff?

I'll email Ray about working on an expansion for it after having done more modifications on #2 of it. (Which of course, will come after testing is finished for the Beta of the Liquid HiHat. Wink I just got all of the parts added to the PCB, but I haven't enough time to hook up all of the controls and jacks before heading to work - where I'd best head off to now. Surprised )
Rykhaard

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

First public Beta Liquid HiHat report. Smile

She's working beautifully! Better than my original (thanks to the External Input resistor addition / correction.)

And wouldn't ya know it? I'd removed 1 of my 2 White Noise sources previously. In transferring the 2nd one, I haven't hooked it up. Sad So I can't at the moment check the Balance control with White Noise.

I DID check it though with the output of a dual triangle VCO fed AD633 Ring Modulator and the balance options with the LHH work wonderfully. Smile

I made only 1 mistake in temporary hookup so that 1 of the 4 x CV Inputs is not working. Outside of that - every other function works as it should.

Outta time. I'll be doing more testing / video examples on Friday as tomorrow will be tied up getting other things shipped. Surprised Smile
Dragon's Lair

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What Shocked where did I go wrong? I always have at least one trace that has to have a kludge added, because I screwed up Embarassed

That's good to hear Ryk, Ive been doing a little tweaking on the board layout, I found that it was a bit tight if I used the keyed type headers, I'm just going to give it another once over, then send it out for another test run, mainly to make sure the hole sizes are right this time.
If there is anything you think should be changed, now is the time to do it.

On a side note, I'm painting my workroom today, so I should have a real workshop by the weekend, which will make life much easier.
Dego

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Rykhaard wrote:
I'll be doing more testing / video examples on Friday as tomorrow will be tied up getting other things shipped. Surprised Smile

Video? Smile
Rykhaard

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ooops. I hope it's not too late for THIS reply!

Dave - I can't remember if I reported it back to you in a PM or not, for the PCB.

Uncle Krunkus had mentioned that he PM'd you about the power connector's holes being too small. I confirmed that to him in a PM, as I'd tried to put in a 0.156" 4 pin Molex male connector (ala Ken Stone / etc.) but found the holes to be too small, as well.

Another bit to change, for clarity, is the positioning of the silkscreen labeling for some of the connections. There's overrun between pairs of them in a few places.

Also, holes for inserting the wiring for connections to the jacks and pots is a bit small as well. I had to be careful in feeding the twisted wire through them, to not have the end of it fray / split up.

Outside of those minor things, the board is looking and working great! Smile

Right then. I HAD meant to shoot at least 1 video on Friday, but it's been a busy weekend for Christmas preparation; 'family' and traveling out for cigarettes and gifts. I'm heading downstairs to the shop in a few minutes to prepare everything for another set of tests and video shoot. Sorry for the delays! Sad
Dragon's Lair

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

All the holes where a bit small, my parts layout was setup for single sided boards and did not allow for the plating through on the double sided boards, I have adjusted the hole sizes accordingly.
The silkscreen is fine on the layout, it's the board manufacturer that seems to shift them sometimes, so I always have to do some adjustments after the first run, I've cleaned up the board a bit, and shifted a few parts, to give them more room, so I am just about ready to send it out for another small test run.
Rykhaard

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dragon's Lair wrote:
All the holes where a bit small, my parts layout was setup for single sided boards and did not allow for the plating through on the double sided boards, I have adjusted the hole sizes accordingly.
The silkscreen is fine on the layout, it's the board manufacturer that seems to shift them sometimes, so I always have to do some adjustments after the first run, I've cleaned up the board a bit, and shifted a few parts, to give them more room, so I am just about ready to send it out for another small test run.

Excellent to read on all of the points. Smile

I didn't have enough time to check into why Control Voltage In #3 of 4 is not working, today. I probably forgot to solder one of the wires. Doh.

I'm uploading a new video to my youtube (dolphinicus) site right now. I have about 45 minutes left before I have to leave for work. If all that has to be done on the youtube site gets done in time, I'll post a link to the video here.

It's a simple video again:

- The Liquid HiHat is being played with an 8th note pattern.
- At the very beginning I give a brief glimpse of the PCB attached to the panel.
- One by one, I demonstrate 3 different Control Voltages that are hooked up to the LHH. Then I bring them all in together to give an idea in that regard.
- Finally, I bring in a 1/4 note bass drum and snare drum pattern and a simple octaves bassline in the background.

For an coming video (or videoS), I'll be showing controlling the unit from a drum pad as well as changing the frequences of the LHH's oscillators to give some more ideas of it's functionalities.

Possibly in another video, I'll do some demonstrations of using it to produce Hihat - open and closed; Cymbal and Snare drum sounds.

The more that I play with this little bugger, the more percussion instrument types that I find are possible with it. Smile And everything that I've mentioned above is with using a VCA ONLY. Smile Drive it into various filters and the sonic possibilities increase hugely, once again.

I can't wait to have 3 or 4 of these guys. That, will cover all of my hihat and cymbal needs for quite some time. Very Happy
Rykhaard

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well shore enough - youtube.com didn't have the video approved until after I had left for work. Sad

Sorry for the delays, but there is the 1st video, using the Beta PCB of the Liquid HiHat - board layout and ordering done by Dragon's Lair. Smile Smile

Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's my front panel.
As usual, any suggestions welcome.

LHH-Front-Panel.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  257.43 KB
 Viewed:  440 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

LHH-Front-Panel.gif

Rykhaard

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Uncle Krunkus wrote:
Here's my front panel.
As usual, any suggestions welcome.

Shocked Whoa! Very Happy That looks absutively stunning! I love the gradient aspect of the colours from one to the other!

Also - it's great to see someone else splitting jacks and pots from each other to either side of a panel.

When do we get to see a video (or hear a sample) of your test build, Uncle Krunkus?? Smile
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Andy -- Nice panel --- I like the gradient also Wink

Ryk -- The video is very entertaining and informative ... Keep them coming Very Happy

Bill
Rykhaard

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

State Machine wrote:

Ryk -- The video is very entertaining and informative ... Keep them coming Very Happy

Bill

Shall be doing! Smile I'm going to hook up my Ray Wilson Drum Trigger to my alarm clock (from the Dollar store - has a piezo transducer in it. Wink ) and pound away again, to give more examples of the power of the Liquid HiHat. (For the next video, I mean).

Jus' wait til I get a 2nd 'pad' built. I'll then be able to give Closed and Open Hihat examples, from a single module. Very Happy (It CAN be done in a way with playing technique, on a single pad, but the variations with a single Decay CV related to Velocity aren't as wide, as with a 2nd pad, driving a another Decay amount or something else.)

In the not to distant future, once I get some Remo practice pads and convert them into electronic drum controllers, shall the the video examples start to give a greaterly detailed example. Smile
Page 3 of 5 [116 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » The layout factory
Jump to: