electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jim Patchell's Vocal Filter
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 3 of 6 [126 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Next
fonik

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

fonik wrote:
here i attach the corrected and complete zip i finaly got the board made from:

errr... i am not sure about the syntax Laughing could any native speaker correct me? PM me please, it must not be that public... Embarassed

numbertalk

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

fonik wrote:
i won't tell anyone what i've paid for this PCB, you'd called me mad Wink
(just go to their site an type in the size and the specs of the PCB you desire and you will immediately see the pricing.)

I don't think you're crazy - I just checked the price at Futurlec and I'm interested enough in this that if a group buy doesn't come together I'll eventually get one made for myself as well Smile Of course it would be better if even a small group buy would come together to knock the cost down some. I'm not up for organizing this myself but am definitely on board if someone else does.

By the way, if I wanted to compare the price, is there anyway to open those updated gerber files you attached in the Express PCB software? I couldn't find a way to do it.
johans121

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

add another freak to the list! i've got the perfect enclosure for this beastie!

-Jim
fonik

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

numbertalk wrote:
By the way, if I wanted to compare the price, is there anyway to open those updated gerber files you attached in the Express PCB software? I couldn't find a way to do it.
no. expressPCB is expressPCB. they created their own format.
ach_gott

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Want! I didn't know anyone had undertaken this project... I remember seeing it a while back on Jim's website and thinking, "No one will ever make these."

I, too, would pay a premium if it ends up being in smaller quantities.
rjd2

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i'd go for a board. gonna have to do something between now and retirement, right?

if the board comes out to around the 100 dollar range, we could always pre-pay whoever hosts to make it easier.

also, a friend of mine was telling me about a "vocal synthesizer" that was made pre-1980. is this related somehow?
zthee

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If you go to futurlec.com and punch in the size of the boards + silkscreen, double sided and solder mask and you order 2 - then the price is $138...

And for 10 boards its' $448...

I'd be very tempted to join a run - but I don't think I'd manage.. The project is just to intimidating.
fonik

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

zthee wrote:
If you go to futurlec.com and punch in the size of the boards + silkscreen, double sided and solder mask and you order 2 - then the price is $138...

And for 10 boards its' $448...

that is a great price. i paid about 80$ without taxes back then...

ach_gott

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

At that price it's a steal. Even once you add shipping, PP fees, and some money for your efforts the boards are still extremely reasonable considering the capabilities. I would put up the funds for a small run if someone else will handle the order/shipping... ten or so boards should be an easy sell I would think.

Since you did the TH SN/SCM order, you may be perfectly well-equipped to do the whole shebang yourself, though, fonik.
fonik

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ach_gott wrote:
Since you did the TH SN/SCM order, you may be perfectly well-equipped to do the whole shebang yourself, though, fonik.

Laughing
i am doing the resonators thing (i don't want to think about the number of packages i have to process). and then i am currently knee deep in the quantizer contruction. alongside all this i am still stuffing my vocal filter board... YES, i already have a board Razz

so someone else should do this. there will be 10 people, won't they? to think to get this board for 50$...

krisp14u

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

First off I am definitely up for this PCB
If no one has organized the group buy in a month or two, I will do it but I am way too busy at the moment with other things that need my full attention

Paul Darlow

www.krisp1.com
b-funk

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

same with me. i'm thinking about this project a lot recently, but my time is very limited right now... but i think i would do it, too. or maybe paul does the boards, and i do part kits? well, we'll see...

best wishes,

tobias
ach_gott

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm happy to put up the money, take collections upon arrival, and do the shipping. But I'm not an EE or anything like that, so I can't evaluate the boards and I can't conduct technical discussions. Also, I wouldn't have time to build the thing immediately and quickly to verify the board.

I'm a builder/consumer of PCBs not a creator and if a question should arise ("Why didn't you check xyz?") I'd be lost. Embarassed

So... I would need a reliable partner on my side of the pond (I'm in Chicago) to handle the technical if I handle the biz.
johans121

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

krisp14u wrote:
First off I am definitely up for this PCB
If no one has organized the group buy in a month or two, I will do it but I am way too busy at the moment with other things that need my full attention

I'm in the same boat, I would organize it, however I'm going to be traveling to India for a couple months (hopefully). If all works out, I'll begin my travels mid april. I don't think one month would give me enough time to organize this before I leave....

I am DEFINITELY down for at least one board though. I think there are already 10 people who said they'd get one for the right price (< $100)..... Count me in for sure.

-jim

-Jim
rjd2

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ach_gott wrote:
I'm happy to put up the money, take collections upon arrival, and do the shipping. But I'm not an EE or anything like that, so I can't evaluate the boards and I can't conduct technical discussions. Also, I wouldn't have time to build the thing immediately and quickly to verify the board.

I'm a builder/consumer of PCBs not a creator and if a question should arise ("Why didn't you check xyz?") I'd be lost. Embarassed

So... I would need a reliable partner on my side of the pond (I'm in Chicago) to handle the technical if I handle the biz.

well, in theory, then we would just need someone who is confident as a troubleshooter to stuff/wire the proto board, and we're good to go, right? also, would it make sense, considering this wont be a $10 board, and a relatively small run, to do pre-payments instead of post-? dont want you getting stuck w/ a couple overages, could be a couple hundred bucks potentially.
numbertalk

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

rjd2 wrote:
also, would it make sense, considering this wont be a $10 board, and a relatively small run, to do pre-payments instead of post-? dont want you getting stuck w/ a couple overages, could be a couple hundred bucks potentially.

I would be willing to pre-pay.
Luka

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

same here
a groupbuy on panel components would be cool too

http://www.last.fm/user/prblmchild
krisp14u

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don’t want to be miss understood in my offer to do a PCB run All I am offering is to get the PCB’s at a reduced price for me and other members of the group
I am not offering any further support on the project it would be a pay your money and get your PCB end of deal (I would of coarse help on the forum post where I could if time permits)
I think anyone taking on this project (buying a PCB to build for them selves) must have the Knowledge, experience and a lot of determination to see it through

cheers

Paul

Paul Darlow

www.krisp1.com
fonik

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

krisp14u wrote:
I think anyone taking on this project (buying a PCB to build for them selves) must have the Knowledge, experience and a lot of determination to see it through

indeed. i am thinking about an euro rack front panel now, and it will end up beeing a 19'' 3U case, like the klee2 - just to give everyone an idea.
(i am even considering break out PCBs for the front panel components to make the wiring easier...)

Usine Karate

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'd definitely be up for pre-paying for a board if someone went to the trouble of organizing a group buy.

I've never ordered boards, or dealt with any board houses, checked prototypes etc, so unfortunatley I'd not be much help in getting a run together.

regards,

usine
fonik

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

while you are talking, i am building Wink (no offense!).

since i am building this alongside the other projects there is only a slow progress. however, the board is populated - just a view diodes are backordered. now i am going to design the front panel.

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

Junk Rhythm

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

fonik wrote:

since i am building this alongside the other projects there is only a slow progress. however, the board is populated - just a view diodes are backordered. now i am going to design the front panel.

Looks beautiful so far!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
fonik

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

here is my 1st sketch for a front panel (19'', 3U). i wonder if anyone could verify my understanding of the controls? andrew?

from the left/top to the right/bottom:
the CV in (or vowel control)
three lines of CV shapers and the associated filters/mixer sections, each consisting of:
- 4x breakpoint control (CV in, init, gain),
- shaper offset and gain,
- shaped cv out normalled to filter freq cv in,
- freq cv, q cv, freq and q init,
- BP and LP mix cv and init.
and then the audio input and output.

VocalFilter_panel

VocalFilter.fpd
 Description:
preliminary. the final panel will be printed, not engraved, i think.

Download
 Filename:  VocalFilter.fpd
 Filesize:  3.74 KB
 Downloaded:  186 Time(s)

Last edited by fonik on Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:55 am; edited 1 time in total
andrewF

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It is quite different, two CV inputs is a good idea, noticed a small typo in the bottom left corner. My memory is pretty hazy regarding this cct, will try and have a look at the manual over the next few days.
Looks like you are including every possible option, seeing you have gone to so much effort, may as well pump it. The Vocal filter is the most extreme one out there....i mean, mine has 42 pots...on a filter!
mine was pretty faithful to Jim's 'middle path' panel in the manual, at least in terms of pots and jacks.
Probably easiest to post the fpd:

VOCFILTER.fpd
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  VOCFILTER.fpd
 Filesize:  2.17 KB
 Downloaded:  197 Time(s)

fonik

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thank you for your fast reply. looking at your panel i think i did it right, just a little bit more control options. yes, i will have all four break points of each of the three shapers voltage controlled. so are the filters freq, q and mix.
and i will have to make some use out of switching sockets, so that i could have one control voltage for all three shapers, filters, or mixers...

Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 3 of 6 [126 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: