electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Jürgen Haible designs
Living VCOs
Page 4 of 21 [520 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, ..., 19, 20, 21 Next

Would you prefer one PCB with 3 VCOs a la JH-5A, or 1 VCO per PCB with more features
One PCB with Oscillator Driver and 3 VCO cores (like JH-5A - cheap!)
60%
 60%  [ 62 ]
1 PCB = 1 VCO (with many waveforms and inputs)
39%
 39%  [ 41 ]
Total Votes : 103

TekniK

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hey Juergen ,where u got those little detune knobs & pots that are on your synth?
jhaible

Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

TekniK wrote:
hey Juergen ,where u got those little detune knobs & pots that are on your synth?

Hard to tell after all these years. What I know is: these are collet knobs, tiny ones for 3.18mm potentiometer axis. Probably REAN. But there are several manufacturers that offer very similar collet knobs. ELMA would be another one. The pots are these blue, tiny, square conductive polymer ones from Bourns that only have the size of trimpots 33xx series I think.

JH.

"I tell you the truth, if anyone says to this mountain, 'Go, throw yourself into the sea,' and does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen, it will be done for him. Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours." (Mk 11,23f)
dingebre

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jhaible wrote:

Tracking: decent. Good enough for a mono synth. No efforts to get ultimate precision.

PWM and saw, yes.

JH.

Perfect, Works for me. Now, gotta order another rack and power supply and clear some space Smile

Thanks again.

David

dingebre@3dphysics.net
http://www.xmission.com/~dingebre/Synthasystem.html
TekniK

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jhaible wrote:
TekniK wrote:

Hard to tell after all these years. What I know is: these are collet knobs, tiny ones for 3.18mm potentiometer axis. Probably REAN. But there are several manufacturers that offer very similar collet knobs. ELMA would be another one. The pots are these blue, tiny, square conductive polymer ones from Bourns that only have the size of trimpots 33xx series I think.

JH.

Thanks for info,but yes now i see they are collet knobs (right one) i din't pay attention before my question,the middle one looks like its a dome knob (because of the shadow).

Yes Elma are very nice knobs,i use them,but expensive.
jhaible

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Update - rough version of layout finished!

(checking for errors on Friday)

JH.

living_preview.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  253.35 KB
 Viewed:  609 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

living_preview.jpg

"I tell you the truth, if anyone says to this mountain, 'Go, throw yourself into the sea,' and does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen, it will be done for him. Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours." (Mk 11,23f)
b-funk

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Fantastic!!! Very Happy

I have to get more tempcos....
krisp14u

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey Juergen
Am I right in thinking that this board has 4 power inputs?
I’m looking forwards to this one

Paul Darlow

www.krisp1.com
jhaible

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

krisp14u wrote:
Hey Juergen
Am I right in thinking that this board has 4 power inputs?

Right.
4 MOTM connectors or 4 Synthesizers.com connectors.
The 4 circuits are completely isolated - they only share a board.

JH.

jhaible

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

http://www.jhaible.heim.at/living_vcos/jh_living_vcos.html

Gerber files sent to Olimex today.

JH.

machine.cuisine

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jhaible wrote:
http://www.jhaible.heim.at/living_vcos/jh_living_vcos.html

Gerber files sent to Olimex today.

JH.

Alright! I'm pretty excited about this one. When the time comes, I'd like two PCBs.

Thanks JH!

Chris
numbertalk

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Excellent news. I'm down for 1.
Rjb1978

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Im thinking of getting some Analogue Systems modules later down the line, since i sold my EMS VCS3 last year to clear some debt..

I was thinking your "living vcos" combined with the AS synthi filter and trapezoid envelope generator and some other modules would make a nice EMS clone system.

So... my question will these "living vco" circuits compatible with an AS power supply and modules, the AS psu is 12v,-12v and +5v where as MOTM is +/-15..

Cheers
jhaible

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Rjb1978 wrote:
Im thinking of getting some Analogue Systems modules later down the line, since i sold my EMS VCS3 last year to clear some debt..

I was thinking your "living vcos" combined with the AS synthi filter and trapezoid envelope generator and some other modules would make a nice EMS clone system.

So... my question will these "living vco" circuits compatible with an AS power supply and modules, the AS psu is 12v,-12v and +5v where as MOTM is +/-15..

Cheers

Not without re-calculating some component values.

JH.

Noiseconformist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:51 pm    Post subject: Low? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Jürgen - that already looks really great!
How low would the VCOs to be able to go?
I don't expect tracking in the LF range.
Michael. Smile

jhaible

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:10 am    Post subject: Re: Low? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Noiseconformist wrote:
Hi Jürgen - that already looks really great!
How low would the VCOs to be able to go?
I don't expect tracking in the LF range.
Michael. Smile

Right Laughing

I haven't tried to use them as LFOs yet.
With just SAW and PWM waveforms, it wouldn't be my first choice for a LFO either.

BTW, there is an on-board Vibrato LFO, in the Oscillator Driver section.
Sine modulation of the Pitch for all 3 VCOs together. Voltage controlled modulation depth. Manual Rate control that is deliberately limited to 2Hz ... 12Hz, so you get a very fine resolution of the useful range.
You can get any other range by choosing different component values, of course - so you don't have to limit the range.
But here also, this is not intended to replace a standalone LFO for all kinds of weird modulation - it's just an on-board VC-Vibrato, so you don't need to scarifice an extra LFO for this function. (Just plug Aftertouch voltage to the CV input, and that's it for touch controlled Vibrato.)

JH.

/mr

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:03 am    Post subject: Re: Low? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jhaible wrote:
BTW, there is an on-board Vibrato LFO, in the Oscillator Driver section.
Sine modulation of the Pitch for all 3 VCOs together. Voltage controlled modulation depth.

Great! Smile
More modules should have well-chosen built-in bonus functionality.
Much nicer than dividing everything into its synthesis atoms.
Noiseconformist

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Low? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jhaible wrote:

I haven't tried to use them as LFOs yet.
With just SAW and PWM waveforms, it wouldn't be my first choice for a LFO either.

Sure, no TRI or SIN outs was what made me frown - but then again an additional waveform converter on an extra small PCB isn't a big deal - so I could handle that.
I'm thinking of a long term project (suitcase synth) where space is limited.
The compact measures of this VCOs PCB would help.
Besides that the specs look promising let alone the linear detuning feature.

dingebre

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:52 pm    Post subject: hard to source components? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A couple of quick questions.

Will there be any "hard to source" components?

Any idea if Tobias will be offering a parts kit? The one he sold for your frequency shifter was sure convenient.

Thanks again for making this design available and I still want 2 boards : )

David

dingebre@3dphysics.net
jhaible

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:18 am    Post subject: Re: hard to source components? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dingebre wrote:
A couple of quick questions.
Will there be any "hard to source" components?

I've used an obscure transistor at one point in the circuit, in the JH-5.
For the Living VCOs board, I'll try to replace it with something more common.

Quote:

Any idea if Tobias will be offering a parts kit? The one he sold for your frequency shifter was sure convenient.

I think so.

Tobias, are you reading this?

JH.

jhaible

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BTW, I got the prototype PCB yesterday, and I already started to solder one of the VCO cores. Waiting for some components from Farnell today ...

JH.

dingebre

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great. Thanks JH.

(Tobias? are you listening..._

David

dingebre@3dphysics.net
synthetic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Looking good. That sure is a big board, though. I hope it fits in my cabinet. I'm assuming I'll need to mount it horizontally on a bracket, and it looks to be 8" deep (200mm).

I assume that daisy-chaining the power is OK? I would probably put in one power jack and hot-wire the four sections together.

I'm also in for a parts kit and MOTM panel if someone makes one. (Scott Deyo, got your ears on?)
Dego

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Looking forward to try these vcos on. Smile
jhaible

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

synthetic wrote:
Looking good. That sure is a big board, though. I hope it fits in my cabinet. I'm assuming I'll need to mount it horizontally on a bracket, and it looks to be 8" deep (200mm).

160mm * 100mm

Quote:
I assume that daisy-chaining the power is OK? I would probably put in one power jack and hot-wire the four sections together.

I've put 4 connectors there toallow star-wiring.
It will certainly work with daisy-chaning, too.
Wheter there is a tiny difference in terms of absence of interlocking is yet to bee seen.

JH.

b-funk

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah, I'm reading this Very Happy

I just don't have an internet connection at home right now.
There will be part kits for the VCO, and also for the Solina re-run. Stay tuned, I'll make an announcement in the next few days.

Best wishes,

Tobias.
Page 4 of 21 [520 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, ..., 19, 20, 21 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Jürgen Haible designs
Jump to: