electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Online Music
Guitar envy, me?
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Wan

Audio files: 4
G2 patch files: 46

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:57 am    Post subject: Guitar envy, me? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

In a topic there is some mentioning of "guitar envy"

http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-6841.html

Thought i should post something i guess shows this behaviour of some synthesist Very Happy

I made this back in 1996 and rendered this version in 2003. This piece is rather soft, didn't master it or such things. And it is not really electronic in character, rather ehhh jazzy?

Jass.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Jass.mp3
 Filesize:  4.07 MB
 Downloaded:  3102 Time(s)

Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The 80´s sound! The memories of being forced by your parents to go to the school parties where you still have the boyish temprament to refuse any dances because "dancing is for girls", eventually being presured into a slowdance with the girl you secretly fancied in a undeveloped "what´s that apeal?" way, feeling profoundly uncomfortable as you are pressed against her teenage-

where was I?

Well, of cource this shows off your controll of the keyboard quite well and it also displays Zappa´s complaint more clearly then the PMA-5´s demo songs could ever hope to do (don´t ask, just don´t ask).

To my ear some of those faster "guitar" rifs do suffer from the typical keyboard feel in the attack where the pick and brief slides are clearly missing.

If you can wait a few days I could build you a monophonic version of that patch I sugested where pitchbended notes can flow into natural ones?

also, where did you get that marvelous cross between a fingersnap and a brushed highhat? I quite like that sound.

mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I like to play guitar on my keyboard too. Very Happy

I don't do it as well as you though...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Wan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kassen wrote:
The 80´s sound!...(snip)

Well, i managed the 80 's sound around 2003, so i have to catch up a little haven't I? Nice emotions it calls up for you, indeed, where were you? I wasn't a teenager even in the eighties, you make me feel old:^^

Quote:
(don´t ask, just don´t ask).

But you do make me curious, now i don't know what i've bettered....

Quote:
To my ear some of those faster "guitar" rifs do suffer from the typical keyboard feel in the attack where the pick and brief slides are clearly missing.

If you can wait a few days I could build you a monophonic version of that patch I sugested where pitchbended notes can flow into natural ones?

Yes indeed the guitar isn't real. It is sample based partially. That shows in the sound. So i will wait a few days with pleasure, i am curious what you can come up with! In the meantime you've been inspiring me to make a polybend patch for the G2, i will post it shortly.

Quote:
also, where did you get that marvelous cross between a fingersnap and a brushed highhat? I quite like that sound.

All percussion sounds are from the Korg Karma, so i guess this one also. I will look it up and see if i can make a wav if you like.

Wan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
I like to play guitar on my keyboard too. Very Happy

I don't do it as well as you though...

Very Happy

Thank you, Howard, i feel less alone now.

Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wan wrote:

Well, i managed the 80 's sound around 2003, so i have to catch up a little haven't I? Nice emotions it calls up for you, indeed, where were you? I wasn't a teenager even in the eighties, you make me feel old:^^

I was born in ´77 so for me the early highschool age parties were still in the 80´s which wasn´t helped any by me living in Friesland.

And, well, you are older then I am. Not so sure about "old", just older.
:¬)

Quote:

But you do make me curious, now i don't know what i've bettered....

Imagine a cross between a gameboy and a large pocketbook, equiped with a touch-schreen, a pen and a roland GS soundset. Oh, and a sequencer.

Now imagine the demo songs...
to It´s credit; it does come with midi in and out and some nice Jazz brush kits. I think Scanner used to use it live.

Quote:
Yes indeed the guitar isn't real. It is sample based partially. That shows in the sound. So i will wait a few days with pleasure, i am curious what you can come up with! In the meantime you've been inspiring me to make a polybend patch for the G2, i will post it shortly.

Cool. I´ll give it a go, then you can try and actually play it, this has in the past been a weak point of some of my contraptions but I have some hope left.

It´ll have to be Tassman because Tassman has "string" and "pickup" modules. I know the G2 has a string osc, but I´m not too much in favour of modulating that one. I also have a sub patch already that´s called "roughly equal" which will make this a lot easier.

Quote:

All percussion sounds are from the Korg Karma, so i guess this one also. I will look it up and see if i can make a wav if you like.

Please! I quite like that one. My email inbox can take such things with ease.

Wan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kassen wrote:
Imagine a cross between a gameboy and a large pocketbook, equiped with a touch-schreen, a pen and a roland GS soundset. Oh, and a sequencer.

Now imagine the demo songs...
to It´s credit; it does come with midi in and out and some nice Jazz brush kits. I think Scanner used to use it live.

something for circuit bending...

Quote:

Cool. I´ll give it a go, then you can try and actually play it, this has in the past been a weak point of some of my contraptions but I have some hope left.

It´ll have to be Tassman because Tassman has "string" and "pickup" modules. I know the G2 has a string osc, but I´m not too much in favour of modulating that one. I also have a sub patch already that´s called "roughly equal" which will make this a lot easier.

Tassman will be fine. I must adapt to it anyway, so doing that with a more or less tailormade patch for me will be no punishment.

I've sent you a PB with the .wav

Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wan wrote:

something for circuit bending...

Hmmm, With a complete GM-set, facilities for midi in and out, facilities to interface the touchscreen and so on all in the sise of a old gameboy I think it´sll be too complex for successfull bending. It´s also a bit too expensive to fry and it does come with 808/909/303 soundsets so I can use to to write acid on the train. I bought it before the grooveboxes became fashionable, one of those would´ve been a better sequencer for me back then. It´s also quite cute and theoretically I could perfrom with that one and a micr-mod which means my whole liveset would fit in the inside pockets of my longcoat.

I think I´ll keep it like it is.

Quote:

Tassman will be fine. I must adapt to it anyway, so doing that with a more or less tailormade patch for me will be no punishment.

Well, more or less.... As i noted a few times; that Bass realy inspirered me. I actually recorded a jingle for a german internet radio thing doing slides on that.

Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Online Music
Jump to: