electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Discussion » Schmooze
Electro-gaming
Page 2 of 3 [62 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
DrJustice

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:30 am    Post subject: Game music
Subject description: Live performances
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's a few sillies for you all to enjoy!

First out is PRESS PLAY ON TAPE - The Commodore 64 Revival Band.

Next up is The Video Game Pianist.
For convenience, here's a quick link to a YouTube video.

An lastly a Guitar Hero gameplay video, also from YouTube.

DJ
--
Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh yeah... I used to hang out at rec.arts.int-fiction (a usenet group), and participated three times in the Interactive Fiction Competition (http://www.ifcomp.org/). One entry was below pathetic, two were half-baked. I finished tenth of thirty my last time, which was my highest ranking.

Interactive Fiction is the modern term for what used to be called text adventure games ("Adventure" - later "Colossal Caves" - being created on a PDP-11 way back). The most inspiring company by far creating these games was Infocom ("Lurking Horror", "Leather Goddesses of Phobos"), but a lot of the people that create IF games today have taken the genre beyond traditional gaming. It's rather a kind of art form, somewhere between literature and virtual reality.

If you've played text adventures before, and want to see what has become of the genre, I advise you to at least try "Photopia" by Adam Cadre. It blows your mind. Other interesting IF authors are Andrew Plotkin , Emily Short and Graham Nelson (who also created Inform, which is one of the leading programming languages for IF), but there are lots of others - and I've lost track a bit over the last few years.

/Stefan
DrJustice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Antimon wrote:
"Adventure" - later "Colossal Caves" - being created on a PDP-11 way back.

That was my first ever encounter with computers!

When I was little, my father would take me along to "Norsk senter for informatikk" where he worked. There I played "Adventure". This was in the early seventies and the computers were Norsk Data machines, probably NORD-5 and later NORD-10. It's almost hard to believe now, but Norway had a bleeding edge computer industry back then. I also played the text based Moonlander there; the altitude, rate of descent and remaining fuel was displayed, you then entered the amount of fuel to burn and the process repeated until you crashed or made a victorious touch down.... Those were the days! <wipes tears>

DJ
--
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow, that video is amazing. When I see something like this, I'm more interested in learning about how to make such a program rather than to play it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
bachus

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Antimon wrote:
"Adventure" - later "Colossal Caves" - being created on a PDP-11 way back.

Never played "Colossal Caves" or any other computer game but I played DEC BASIC on a PDP-1123 and implemented a version of John Conway's "Game of Life" in FORTRAN-IV on my DEC LSI 1103.

So far programming is the only computer game that grabs my interest.

dmosc

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am worried that spore will turn out poorly because they're trying to do too much but we'll see. Yeah, I was blown away by the programming it must take to support that thing
Stanley Pain

Audio files: 10
G2 patch files: 35

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i made the mistake of installing civilisation IV on my pc.

i've nearly finished playing one of the scenarios. then i'm giving it back to the friend who leant it to me.

just... one... more... turn...
Kookoo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yay games!
For about a year I was sucked into World of Warcraft. I finally managed to break out of that... it was a serious detriment to my health Smile
Best game ever - Castlevania: Symphony of the Night for the PS1.
What I'm playing now - Day of Defeat: Source.
And, of course, the game I'm currently busting my back to ship (shamless plug Smile) SiN Episodes: Emergence
Kookoo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dmosc wrote:
I am very excited that TES IV: Oblivion will be out in just a few days! No doubt it will ruin months of my life like Morrowind did.

Oh yea, Oblivion looks pretty amazing. Between the unbelievable graphics and sound quality, the game world is going to be deeper and more alive than Morrowind.
This video doesn't do it justice but if you can download the HD version I recommend it. Only a few days left! Smile
DrJustice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kookoo wrote:

Somehow I never got into that one, but I'm a big fan of H&D online. Now that you've reminded me I'm on the verge of signing up for DoD. Steam and all... I could be in the thick of it only a downloads time. Do you reckon the player culture is good (serious, team oriented etc.)?

Quote:
And, of course, the game I'm currently busting my back to ship (shamless plug Smile) SiN Episodes: Emergence

Keeping an eye on it! Wink

Edit: I went ahead and did it - DoD is being installed now. 95 minutes to go...

DJ
--
Kookoo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DrJustice wrote:
Kookoo wrote:
Do you reckon the player culture is good (serious, team oriented etc.)?

Eh... it hit-or-miss. Since the game is a little old, many of the players that are online are sort of hard-core and know what they're doing. On the other hand that doesn't necessarily make them team players. There's more cooperation and teamplay than your average Battlefield 2 server, though, by far.

Hope you like DoD! Smile
DrJustice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kookoo wrote:
There's more cooperation and teamplay than your average Battlefield 2 server, though, by far.

Hope you like DoD! Smile

Yup - a lot more fun than BF2 despite the older tech. Quite different game flow from H&D2, though - DoD is much quicker. With H&D a single scenario could take close to an hour sometimes. I'm counting on the upcoming Flashpoint to be the next big fix in this area.

DJ
--
Static Strobe Emitter

Audio files: 243

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:10 am    Post subject: Oh! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Fast, fast, and more speed!

I love precision games!

=D

Like Ikaruga, Parsec 47. etc etc.
and speedrunning is my favorite type of playing :X

games like parsec 47 can keep me occupied for hours.
the fact that it is so completly random is fun. the game itself has no goal
except for getting as high score as possible until you die, all enemies
and bulletpatterns are randomized on every game play, so you cannot
rely on remembering those, you have to boost your reflexes =D
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Static Strobe Emitter

Audio files: 243

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

example of me playing parsec 47. the video has been cut heavly
to reduce the filesize, its originally 14 minutes long.

just provided for showoff!

this is the last recorded video of this game i made, i now have
a higher score. but no video of that one =(

mjaaaa2.zip
 Description:
weeee

Download
 Filename:  mjaaaa2.zip
 Filesize:  6.84 MB
 Downloaded:  497 Time(s)

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Antimon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Oh! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Static Strobe Emitter wrote:

games like parsec 47 can keep me occupied for hours.
the fact that it is so completly random is fun.

Wow - I have to check that out! I dislike Ikaruga for that precise reason - I hate action games that depend on you memorizing routes. Give me random Galaga-style action anyday. If you don't mind poor retro graphics you should check out P.O.D. (Proof Of Destruction) by Shoun Southern on the C64. Mad!

/Stefan
Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ever since I first plugged the Steinberg midi interface into my Commodore 64, the Defender disk started to cool down, and the battle between music and games began.
I've played just about every major PC title that has been in the last 15yrs. Way too many to list them all.
After Tom mentioned that Doom has an entry in Wikipedia I checked it out and couldn't help downloading the original shareware Doom1. I've been blasting Imps with my shotgun for the last few days.
In fact the first thing I did to teach myself about the G2 is attached.

DoomToon.pch2
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  DoomToon.pch2
 Filesize:  4.91 KB
 Downloaded:  2296 Time(s)

dmosc

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

you guys should pick up oblivion. It's truely amazing
Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've been watching carefully for the arrival of Oblivion (I played right through Morrowind and Tribunal and at the time I regarded them as the only PC game I would ever need ever again!)
It was released just yesterday here. Unfortunately I haven't got a spare $90. Maybe for my birthday.

Shinobi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:37 pm    Post subject: to see who is a very games lover Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

try this test ;_)

http://www.webdomus.it/tao/test_visuale_videogiochi.php

i scored 12

and u?
jkn

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oblivion! Been playing it way too much lately.

It's great. Hands down. Then again I love the Elder Scrolls series and I love RPG's...

I picked it up on PC and decided against the xbox360 route. I'd love to get the 360 - but sinking at least $400 before I even get the game... eh. Besides - it looks gorgeous on PC and I can download mods or play around with the editor.

I'm still mildly interested in the 360 (with DOA4 and Amped 3 on it) - although I'll likely be waiting for PS3 to come out and hopefully for a bit of a price reduction and the slew of reviews and comparisons between the nexgen consoles. Revolutions controller looks really interesting - but we'll see about the games for it... A news article the other day said to not hold your breath for any price reductions before later 2007...
Antimon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: to see who is a very games lover Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Shinobi wrote:
try this test ;_)

http://www.webdomus.it/tao/test_visuale_videogiochi.php

i scored 12

and u?

Damn! Only 5. This is embarrassing. Maybe can blame the fact that I don't understand italian Wink

/Stefan

Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

FPSs and FPRPGs without a mouse just make me want to throw something out the window! Laughing
jkn

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Uncle Krunkus wrote:
FPSs and FPRPGs without a mouse just make me want to throw something out the window! Laughing

Agreed... but...

I can't play a game that takes that long to play while using the keyboard/mouse combo. I really need the controller - so I bought the 360 controller for my PC - and what's driving me nuts is it doesn't quite work. (hopefully the upcoming patches will include controller fixes...)

I'll need to switch to keyboard/mouse for certain things (especially shoowing arrows...) - but I'd like to be able to do most of the dungeon crawling and wilderness wandering via controller...

At the moment I can't play at all due to my forearms... Sad
razmataz

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
I'm still mildly interested in the 360 (with DOA4 and Amped 3 on it) - although I'll likely be waiting for PS3 to come out

I'm totally with you man. I'm intrigued by the 360 but PS just has so much hype that I want it lol. Have you seen the ads for it? The graphics are mint.
X-Electric

Audio files: 7

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What graphics ? The only realtime render from PS3 was a short piece of animation from "Africa".
Page 2 of 3 [62 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Discussion » Schmooze
Jump to: