electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Fritz chaos circuit
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 11 of 12 [278 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 9, 10, 11, 12 Next
frijitz

Audio files: 54

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

asterisk wrote:
any tips about how to troubleshoot this circuit so i can get it to work? i dont even know where to start or what problems to look for.

Any circuit that's a loop is hard to troubleshoot, since the problem cousd be anywhere. I'd start by making sure the pots are wired correctly. That's the easiest place to get confused.

The previous problem with a cap was not actually a bug, just that a trace runs between the legs of the cap and you can get a short there.

Ian
asterisk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ok ill start by checking out my pot wiring.
couple of clarifications there:
if im looking at the dual gang 1M pot from the top (not the backside), the solder lugs are 1-2-3 on the top row and 4-5-6 on the bottom row right?

my other 2 pots are multiturn pots and the lugs are labelled 1-2-3, so those are easy enough.

i did make the connection from lug 4 of the rate pot to lug 1 of the damping pot. and the input jack is soldered to lug 1 of the drive pot.

ill double check that all of my pot wiring is going to to appropriate places on the PCB.

whats the best way to ground all of the jacks? wire the grounds on all 4 of them together and then wire that to a ground point on the PCB?

ill check voltages to my ICs. they should be +/- 12v at the appropriate pins right? and ill check all of my resistor / cap values, make sure i didnt put something in the wrong place.

ill report back, hopefully i can get this thing working!
asterisk

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

YAY! i fixed it and its working.
i made a stupid beginner's mistake. i had wired up the power header incorrectly the first time (but it miraculously didn't fry the board!).
fixed up the power header/connector and its working great.

was getting some amazing chaos patterns using the outputs going to 1 VCO and 1 VCF. with a modulated / random LFO going into the input.

ill try to record this patch tomorrow or soon and post a clip.
asterisk

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

here is a quick test / demo of my Double Well Chaos module for eurorack. everything seems to be working well. check the soundcloud page for more info on the patch. i was wiggling the knobs in realtime and the drive LFO was changing frequency randomly.

http://soundcloud.com/greg-davis/double-well-chaos-test-011312
frijitz

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

asterisk wrote:
here is a quick test / demo of my Double Well Chaos module for eurorack. everything seems to be working well. check the soundcloud page for more info on the patch. i was wiggling the knobs in realtime and the drive LFO was changing frequency randomly.

Great! Sounds like it's working properly.

Ian
elmegil

Audio files: 16

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:00 pm    Post subject: Zener Values Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I see from earlier discussion that 4.7's can be used in place of 4.3's, it just changes the overall shape.

How far does that go before it's unusable? I thought I had 4.3's on hand, but have found out I don't, they're not available locally, and I'm not much inclined to order just 2 zeners from Mouser given their shipping costs Smile. I do have 5.1's....

I spose I should just breadboard it....
frijitz

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Zener Values Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elmegil wrote:
I see from earlier discussion that 4.7's can be used in place of 4.3's, it just changes the overall shape.

How far does that go before it's unusable? I thought I had 4.3's on hand, but have found out I don't, they're not available locally, and I'm not much inclined to order just 2 zeners from Mouser given their shipping costs Smile. I do have 5.1's....

I'm not sure which circuit you are refering to. I would say tack the 5.1's in temporarily and see how it works. Then replace them the next time you are putting in a parts order.

Ian
elmegil

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sorry it was the double well chaos circuit/PCB from '07. I'll give it a shot, good point about replacing them.
prgdeltablues

Audio files: 12

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Or tack a diode in series after the zener - 0.6V voltage drop - 5.1 down to 4.5.

Peter
frijitz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

prgdeltablues wrote:
Or tack a diode in series after the zener - 0.6V voltage drop - 5.1 down to 4.5.
Peter

Wouldn't that add 0.6 V?

Ian
prgdeltablues

Audio files: 12

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sorry, I responded without reading the schematic. Please ignore my message.

Peter
elmegil

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This probably exposes my ignorance yet again, but I'm struggling with figuring out the right way to wire in fine tuning controls for the Double Well Chaos circuit. In the write up, it says, for example, "For the Drive input, a 5 kOhm pot could be added in series with R14."

If a pot had two terminals, that would be obvious, but with three, I'm not sure.

I *think* it means to wire it like the attached picture. Is that correct?

Screen shot 2012-10-23 at Oct 23 9.06.59AM.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  5.91 KB
 Viewed:  22892 Time(s)

Screen shot 2012-10-23 at Oct 23 9.06.59AM.png

frijitz

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elmegil wrote:
I *think* it means to wire it like the attached picture. Is that correct?

Yep, that's it. Very Happy

Ian
frequencycentral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

frijitz wrote:
asterisk wrote:

Great! Sounds like it's working properly.

Ian

Only here...

I love it that that is the sound of something working properly. Twisted Evil

frequencycentral

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's mine:

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

AlanP

Audio files: 41

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Are any mods needed to run the Jerkster or EZ Chaos on +/- 12V Eurorack?
drapdap

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

on the jerkster it's just the four resistors for the ota, 22k on 12volts, 27k on 15. im not shure about the dweller, wanted to check anyways...
but the first jerkster i've built are still run from 15 and have 22k, so even that works. for a while probably.
wackelpeter

Audio files: 10

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

some sounds snippets including the TGTSH curcuit i recently finished on stripboard.... not involved is the jerkster which is finished to some Point but i think i'll have to dive in a bit deeper as i'm trying to Limit the Limit the Outputs a bit as they are going nearly to the top and low Ends of power rails and feeding some of These higher voltages accidentally into some of my other stuff would maybe result in magical smoke exeperiences i fear...

it's, if you ignore the Absence of any Musical Content and Talent it Shows a Little bit what you can do with it...
maybe a good choice to Keep some unwanted visitors away if you Play with it around like i do... Laughing

modules of my stripboard stuff nvolved:

Psycho LFO into Signal in TGTSH1
gate out to Roland System100 ADSR
Trigger out to Serge VCS...
Yves Usson Quad LFO into TGTSH SH in
out to 1V/oct 1st TH555VCO...
90 degree Output of quad LFO into 2nd TGTSH
trigg out to another S&H clock in....
180 degree out to S&H in
SHout to TGTSH2 SHin
TGTSH2 SH out toV/oct in 2nd 555VCO...

both saw Outs to Steiner VCF (Yves U.)
otuput ADSR to VCF CV in and VCA CV in
neg out ADSR to Serge VCS Rise CV in...
VCS AC out to VCF CV2 in..

both VCO's linear FMizing (curious term) each other...

oh is see my example is pretty Long, but i still can't handle it to Show some of the important aspects in short and clear demonstrations...

those who can stand the whole Thing will be honoured for the golden ear for Patience with my "compositions" from the wild valleys of Absurdistan... Very Happy

BTW. The main reason posting here is i wanted to ask if someone have an idea how to Limit the otuputs of the jerkster around +/-5V with maybe 1-2 Volt more not being that critical?
i thought of just grounding the Outputs and Routing the Output through an Cap as when gain pot is turned fully in one direction i have a steady 13-15V Output at one or 2 of the Outputs...
or just increasing the 27k going to the Lm13700? had plaecd in between a 100k trimmer but that didn'T make much difference from my experience...

also i'm trying to get the range behaviour a bit more controllabel as it drifts very fast from very slow to Audio range oscillations... means i have not much control over the lower regions... just a simple smaller pot in series with the rate pot?

tgtsh_0.mp3
 Description:
Sounds a bit like Kraftwerk's Autobahn on a slippery road with a whole lot of crashs and car body damage :D

Download
 Filename:  tgtsh_0.mp3
 Filesize:  3.71 MB
 Downloaded:  1400 Time(s)

Last edited by wackelpeter on Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
frijitz

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

AlanP wrote:
Are any mods needed to run the Jerkster or EZ Chaos on +/- 12V Eurorack?

No, they are designed for 12V operation.

Ian
frijitz

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

wackelpeter wrote:
The main reason posting here is i wanted to ask if someone have an idea how to Limit the otuputs of the jerkster around +/-5V with maybe 1-2 Volt more not being that critical?

It's the nature of chaos that signal amplitudes vary over a wide range. You can reduce the overall range by adding a resistor between pins 4 and 11 of U3. This should be a fairly large value; start with 3.3MOhm or so and experiment until you get what you want. Yes, the output levels go beyond the 5V standard, but I haven't seen any situation where this is a problem. However, if they are always very large, then there may be some issue with your build.

Quote:
also i'm trying to get the range behaviour a bit more controllabel as it drifts very fast from very slow to Audio range oscillations... means i have not much control over the lower regions... just a simple smaller pot in series with the rate pot?

Yes, exactly (as suggested in the docs).

Ian
wackelpeter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Ian, i'll try this out and Report if it turned out successful for me or not...

P.S. regarding the high Output values... they'll grow from Little (less than 5V) to nearly the value of the power rails...
Except when i turn the gain fully down or was it up than on 1 or 2 of them the Output stays at power rail value...
i already thought about adding a resistor from outout to ground to lower the Amplitude a bit and passing the Output Signal through an cap to block DC voltage... that seem to work on one of the Outputs so far but haven't checked what it caused to the other Outputs as they interact with each other...

wackelpeter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ian followed your advice and that did the trick... thanks...

recorded a short sample using your jerkster and tgtsh circuits...

jerkster 2 Outputs going into the tgtsh Signal Inputs Trigger gate out of both to Env.Generators...
LFO and Psycho LFo to S&H Inputs... Those Outputs into V/oct Inputs via attentuators of 2 TH 555 VCO's and those saw Outputs via Yusynth Steiner and EMS VCF into a VCA each fed by the Envelopes... a bit of delay and that's it...

tgtsgjerkster1_0.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  tgtsgjerkster1_0.mp3
 Filesize:  535.34 KB
 Downloaded:  1469 Time(s)

tgtsgjerkster2_1.mp3
 Description:
slighlty the same as above but both VCO modulating each other and jerkster controlled by lfo

Download
 Filename:  tgtsgjerkster2_1.mp3
 Filesize:  703.3 KB
 Downloaded:  1480 Time(s)

Last edited by wackelpeter on Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:48 am; edited 1 time in total
frijitz

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

wackelpeter wrote:
Ian followed your advice and that did the trick... thanks...

recorded a short sample using your jerkster and tgtsh circuits...

jerkster 2 Outputs going into the tgtsh Signal Inputs Trigger gate out of both to Env.Generators...
LFO and Psycho LFo to S&H Inputs... Those Outputs into V/oct Inputs via attentuators of 2 TH 555 VCO's and those saw Outputs via Yusynth Steiner and EMS VCF into a VCA each fed by the Envelopes... a bit of delay and that's it...

Great! Glad it was easy to tame. Your demo really brings out the "always the same but always different" property of chaos.

Ian
wackelpeter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yep it's a nice circuit... thanks a lot for sharing this with us...

Is it also working correct in that manner that one Output is centered around gnd whilst the others are also but one with an slightly (1-2V) positive and the other with an slightly negative Offset? Or has this something to do with the 220R resistors going to the LM13700 in case they are not matched properly? i'm not sure respectively can't remember if i put attention to this whilst soldering....

frijitz

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

wackelpeter wrote:
yep it's a nice circuit... thanks a lot for sharing this with us...

Is it also working correct in that manner that one Output is centered around gnd whilst the others are also but one with an slightly (1-2V) positive and the other with an slightly negative Offset? Or has this something to do with the 220R resistors going to the LM13700 in case they are not matched properly? i'm not sure respectively can't remember if i put attention to this whilst soldering....

The offsets are normal. You might want to look at some typical chaos examples at my website to get a better feel for this.

Ian
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 11 of 12 [278 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 9, 10, 11, 12 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: