electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
2016 Builds!
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 3 of 7 [175 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Next
RingMad

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Finally had some time to document this project, pretty much finished a month ago...
The Octa Consequencer is an 8-step analog sequencer that outputs a control voltage (CV). It's got the usual step on/off and one can set the CV value for each step. The clock speed can be adjusted and there is a hold button. It has a built-in triangle/square VCO with a separate glide control and output. Other outputs are raw CV, CV with adjustable glide (portamento) and gate/trigger. The gate has 2 flavors, either ANDed with the clock thus appearing at every step or remaining on whenever a step is on. Trigger output is the same thing but a short pulse.

This was originally inspired by Dr. Offset's 16 step Up/Down sequencer (it made a great impression on me back in 2010 when I first started getting into electronics, but at the time I didn't see the use of a sequencer). The details of the schematic I filled in from other designs like like the Baby 10, MFOS, etc. Instead of the CD4029, I used the similar CD4516 CMOS presettable counter with a CD4051. Thus one can control the direction, as well as reset the counter to a specified binary value. The clock, direction, preset load and preset value can all be set by external gate signals for extra madness.

For the direction, an "antenna" mode can be selected. This basically makes the up/down pin on the counter chip floating, and it behaves erratically/randomly and responds sometimes to moving one's hands near the box. Fun!

The square windows for the LEDs were made by hand using a nibbler tool, and then behind, isolator/light concentrator boxes made out of cardboard, hot-glued to the enclosure, with some layers of parchment paper for diffusion, colored gels and translucent plastic.
The VU meter shows the CV level for fun, and is illuminated from inside.

I found this build pretty daunting... at some point I was not sure I wanted to finish it, because I just couldn't figure out how to organise the wiring and stuff. Finally I just went for it... it's a bit of a mess inside, but it all works.

Here is a demo video: https://youtu.be/_ZhCQe6FwxU

.:James:.

Octa Consequencer - inside 1b-sm1.jpg
 Description:
the mess inside the Octa Consequencer.
 Filesize:  340.09 KB
 Viewed:  384 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

Octa Consequencer - inside 1b-sm1.jpg

Octa Consequencer box 1024.JPG
 Description:
The Octa Consequencer.
 Filesize:  293.77 KB
 Viewed:  388 Time(s)

Octa Consequencer box 1024.JPG

PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

that looks great!
love the square lights Very Happy

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
elmegil

Audio files: 16

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You have a real gift for design, RingMad. The outside and the functionality are more important than the guts of the wiring (at least until you have to troubleshoot it! Very Happy ).
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

oh I just noticed your meter is smiling Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
bubzy

Audio files: 64

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

its not a synth, but it does beep and it does have an lm386 amp in it Very Happy

as i've been coaching squash for the past year, ive found that i need to keep adding things, and that there wasnt even an app to run the traditional "beep" test(on a squash court). so i made a hardware one.
its just an arduino running a tm1638 display module, and a pwm "beep" (pwm changes frequency to increase pitch)
its built in an old tannoy/loudspeaker box.

IMG_6460.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.06 MB
 Viewed:  365 Time(s)

IMG_6460.JPG

RingMad

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Re the Octa Consequencer...
Thanks folks!
elmegil : Yeah, it took me about a week to debug that mess of wires!
PHOBoS : The meter is smiling at YOU because I got the circuits that handle the external gate signals from one of your schematics Smile. (You know, so that even boxes that produce low-voltage gate signals can work with my box which is using 12V).

RingMad

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Solder never sleeps... Just quickly made a couple of utility boxes that don't make sound but are handy.

FACEMULT: allows MULTiple (4) separate signals to be interFACEd between 4 styles of connector: 1/4, 1/8, banana and bolts. Handy for interfacing with other synth systems.

HEXGĀT: produces 6 simple gate/clock signals with adjustable rates (from approx 0.2 - 18 Hz) and 1/4 jack outputs and bolts for use with alligator clips so as to communicate with breadboards. This is simply 6 square-wave oscillators made using a CD40106 chip. It was one of those oh-what-the-hell-i'll-put-it-in-a-box type things, but probably I should have thought about it a bit more and put switches on each gate.

HEXGAT and FACEMULT 1sm.jpg
 Description:
FACEMULT (top) and HEXGAT (bottom) utility boxes.
 Filesize:  236.17 KB
 Viewed:  338 Time(s)

HEXGAT and FACEMULT 1sm.jpg

Grumble

Audio files: 30

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Made two double passives and some cables. One of'em got bnc connectors either to connect a scope or a generator to for testing
Not much of a built, but a necessity for every modular synth....

IMG_20160403_230425.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  2.22 MB
 Viewed:  372 Time(s)

IMG_20160403_230425.jpg

prgdeltablues

Audio files: 12

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Two-thirds of the way through building Ray Wilson's 16-step quantized vari-clock sequencer. Analogue and Digital boards installed and working, just got to build the vari-clock board...

One weird quirk - in reverse mode, the clock runs about 30% faster than in normal mode. No idea why, and haven't bothered to debug as the clock on the digital board will be removed once I've built the third board.

Modded so there are two gate busses available, and also (since I had a spare half op-amp) an output of CV+a 5th.

Biggest panel I've made to date.

Peter

MFOS Sequencer panel.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.71 MB
 Viewed:  281 Time(s)

MFOS Sequencer panel.jpg

MFOS Sequencer wiring.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.9 MB
 Viewed:  287 Time(s)

MFOS Sequencer wiring.jpg

wackelpeter

Audio files: 10

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

wow... looks very nice and impressive plus i've spotted stripboards... Very Happy

did you made all the blocks for this sequencer on stripboard? Well i'm asking as i for myself always use stripboards and if you managed it to get everything assembled i'm probably giving it a try too... i have a smaller case waiting to be filled and maybe all needed jacks, pot's and boards may fit into it... but usuallly i stay away from builds that wouldn't fit on one of the stripboards i have (100x150mmm or 100x200mm).

prgdeltablues

Audio files: 12

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks!. Yes, all my modules are stripboard (except for the Klee). I buy 119 x 455 mm lengths and cut to size (Rapid Electronics in the UK). This makes all my boards 46 rows deep, which fits nicely with my 200mm high panels. This sequencer is a rather massive build - three main boards plus a small distribution board for power and interboard connections (QA-QD). But as usual Ray's excellent descriptions make debugging easier.

Peter
AlanP

Audio files: 41

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think I might have a crack at this sequencer sometime. I'm just noodling at the back of my mind how to fit all the pots, switches, jacks, and everything else in 160x100mm (might drop the Fine adjustment pots.)
wackelpeter

Audio files: 10

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

prgdeltablues wrote:
Thanks!. Yes, all my modules are stripboard (except for the Klee). I buy 119 x 455 mm lengths and cut to size (Rapid Electronics in the UK). This makes all my boards 46 rows deep, which fits nicely with my 200mm high panels. This sequencer is a rather massive build - three main boards plus a small distribution board for power and interboard connections (QA-QD). But as usual Ray's excellent descriptions make debugging easier.

Peter

119x455mm stripboard i have never seen before... well should finish in my actual clocking/timing build the second pulse divider from Ken Stone, one is already complete and mounted as is the master divider and 2 Gate sequencers, plus few logic elements and gate to trigger converters i spread over the spare places on those boards...
but it would be really great to have a sequencer with variable gate length... i think i must give this a try before starting something else...

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

finished the Melt Yer Face breakout box.

AlanP

Audio files: 41

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

heh, DB9 connectors... can you even get motherboards with serial ports anymore?
L´Andratté

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice sequencers, ringmad and prgdeltablues, highly masochistic looking, but also totally awesome!

I´m finally putting together a little lofi experimental studio, after having to sell all my stuff due to financial breakdown.
Just kept my Jazz bass and the stuff on the 1st picture.
Phoenix from the ashes Wink

My small Hordijk system (double Wink ):
Twinjolin (Dual Benjolin)
Zuzweitgeist (Dual Zeitgeist)

_DSC0091.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  228.63 KB
 Viewed:  174 Time(s)

_DSC0091.JPG

_DSC0093.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  202.45 KB
 Viewed:  166 Time(s)

_DSC0093.JPG

_DSC0094.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  175.3 KB
 Viewed:  158 Time(s)

_DSC0094.JPG

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I finished another module: the Moth Mixer. Cool

more info here

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

and another one: Yusynth Quadrature VC-LFO

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wavolver II Razz

Grumble

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My first full analog module: a four channel basic mixer.

IMG_20160418_064823.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.74 MB
 Viewed:  166 Time(s)

IMG_20160418_064823.jpg

IMG_20160418_064839.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  2.29 MB
 Viewed:  186 Time(s)

IMG_20160418_064839.jpg

LFLab

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What's that component near the power connector, a DC-DC converter?
Grumble

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, I power my modular with 5volt, and this mixer is powered by 9volt pos and 9volt neg. derived from 5 volt.
RingMad

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Solder never sleeps... I built yet another little box to use with my new sequencer (the previously posted about Octa Consequencer) in concerts. I liked the sound of multiple parallel VCOs with different glide settings, so to augment my sequencer's built-in VCO, I built this simple dual VCO...

It's therefore a simple box with two independent VCOs. They can generate square, triangle, sawtooth and reverse sawtooth waveforms in 12 different frequency ranges. Each oscillator also has a volume and a glide (portamento) control. Both VCOs can have a separate output channels, or be mixed into a single one.

Both VCOs use the same CV input, but each can adjust the level it receives. For standalone use, it can be switched to use an on-board potentiometer to set the CV level instead of the external input.

The box is painted metallic green (the photo doesn't do it justice), and the "on" indicator LED is a purple triangle.

Dual VCO R angle1cc-1024.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  333.61 KB
 Viewed:  185 Time(s)

Dual VCO R angle1cc-1024.jpg

Grumble

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Finished my dual VCF today.
It has a knob for frequency and q-factor of the filters and cv for them. Both filters have a switch to choose between midi controlled and free, and both have a low-pass and band-pass output.
More detail about the build HERE

IMG_20160425_005421.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  2.36 MB

IMG_20160425_005421.jpg

IMG_20160425_005400.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  2.3 MB
 Viewed:  183 Time(s)

IMG_20160425_005400.jpg

IMG_20160425_005410.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  2.5 MB
 Viewed:  154 Time(s)

IMG_20160425_005410.jpg

Grumble

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Made a sequencer.
Can do forward, reverse by switch or external CV (overrides switch).
Manual step, external clock and internal clock.
When switch FREE is up: the sequencer is triggered with internal clock, speed is controlled by potmeter and CV SPD, also a MIDI out is available for each step where the switch (and LED)is on.
When FREE is down, clock comes from clock input ADV, no midi available, but up/down is active.
In both modes the length of the sequence is set with a potmeter, going from 1 to 16 steps.
Two analog outputs, 16 -> and 8 ->, They give the analog representation of the position of the potmeters. Output 8-> gives the output of the pot's 9-16 and can be used for the speed setting of the first 8 steps, give really nice effects.
The TRIG out pulse is active in FREE mode for every step with the switch (and LED) on, in the external clocked mode every step gives a TRIG out signal.

IMG_20160428_020703.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.03 MB

IMG_20160428_020703.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 3 of 7 [175 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: