electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » electro-music.com » electro-music festivals » electro-music 2005
Pre-announcement: Electro-Music 2005, Philadelphia
Page 1 of 2 [32 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 11:34 am    Post subject: Pre-announcement: Electro-Music 2005, Philadelphia Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

electro-music 2005
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 days of electro-music concerts, electro-jams , lectures, and demos.

Date TBD: May - June, 2005

This is a pre-announcement of electro-music 2005, a three day event to be held at the Cheltenham Art Center in Philadelphia, during May or June, 2005. We are still working to finalize the exact dates. We'll have lectures, demos, jam sessions, and concerts. This event will include the annual Nord Modular event previously held in The Hague and in London. The scope of this festival is to be very broad, covering all aspects of electro-music including circuit bending, laptop music, electro-jazz, modular synthesis, musique concrete, multi-media, and much more. The focus will be on participant involvement, sharing, community development, and audience education.

Greg Waltzer, AKA EGW, has agreed to act as Conference Co-chair. The majority of the activities at the conference will be contributions from our own members. We have set up a special forum on electro-music.com to plan this event. This will be a place where you will be able to share what you would like to contribute, and make suggestions. This event is of our community, by our community and for our community. Once we get a handle on who is coming and what they will contribute, we will finalize and publish a program and schedule.

The Cheltenham Art Center is an almost ideal facility for a multi-day event like this. It is a beautiful facility with a relaxed and informal ambience, located in a secluded wooded section of Philadelphia. We'll have two excellent concert venues and two galleries for our activities during the full three days. The Art Center is accessible by public transportation (bus and train) from central Philadelphia. There are several restaurants within walking distance.

Philadelphia is a great historic American city with a rich cultural heritage and an very active electro-music scene. Philly has an excellent international airport and abundant accommodations. It is a wonderful tourist destination in its own right, and is situated between two others, New York City, and the Baltimore - Washington, DC area. Many people will want to combine electro-music 2005 with a tour of the eastern United States. Philly is within one day's drive of Montreal, Toronto, Boston, Chicago, Pittsburg, Charlotte, Nashville, and Atlanta. Europeans, the exchange rates have never been better for you to cross the pond.

electro-music 2005 will be a defining event for our community. Not only will we ourselves find it enriching, informative, fulfilling and fun, but we will get unprecedented public exposure. It's time for the world to take notice of the electro-music scene. To paraphrase Dylan, something is happening and they don't know what it is. We are about to change all that.

Perhaps most importantly, electro-music 2005 will give us the chance to meet each other and schmooze in person. We'll develop new relationships and strengthen old ones. We'll have the opportunity to learn from each other, to collaborate, and to develop artistically together. That's what electro-music is all about.

Keep a close eye out for the latest news about electro-music 2005 here on electro-music.com. Start thinking if you'd like to make a presentation, perform, or participate in an electro-jam. Start doing whatever it is you've gotta do now to get yourself to electro-music 2005 and Philadelphia in the springtime. This is going to be something you don't want to miss.

Last edited by mosc on Mon Jan 03, 2005 1:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Europeans, the exchange rates have never been better for you to cross the pond.

You can't count on the exchange rate between euro and USD to stay the same until next spring but nevertheless I would love to come. Very Happy
Why don't you move this message to the front page Question

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
egw
Stream Operator

Audio files: 18
G2 patch files: 8

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

We hope to settle on the date very soon, then we will make an official announcement.
Mohoyoho

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That sounds fantastic. I definitely will be there.
www.cdbaby.com/cd/markmahoney
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck
http://cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck2
http://www.limitedwave.com/subterraneous/
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great about you guys coming. Meeting you in person makes it a success already. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
deknow

G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 10:38 am    Post subject: i'm there Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

...i will definitely come, and would love to participate in any way needed.

i have a pair of mackie srm450s and a mixer that i can bring for pa purposes.

deknow
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey, great. Glad you can come and thanks for the offer of the use of the equipment. As things pan out, we'll see if we need your gear.
egw
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm very excited about meeting some of the fascinating people I've come to know here on electro-music. I live close to the Cheltenham Art Center. Maybe we'll also have some parties and jam sessions before and/or after the event.
This is going to be great!
Static Strobe Emitter

Audio files: 243

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 6:35 pm    Post subject: Hmmmzz... Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

How da heck do I shove my lard ass over from sweden to there :S

dont count me out yet Razz its just all about money Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey, we'd love to see you here. Hope you can make it happen.
gsga

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Hmmmzz... Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Static Strobe Emitter wrote:
How da heck do I shove my lard ass over from sweden to there :S

dont count me out yet Razz its just all about money Very Happy

Dude. SAS does DIRECT flights from Stockholm to Newark, NJ (which is 1.25 hrs away from the venue). And they're cheap.

Hell, if there's alot of people coming in at the same time, I'll drive over there and pick you guys up!

gsga

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

egw wrote:
I'm very excited about meeting some of the fascinating people I've come to know here on electro-music. I live close to the Cheltenham Art Center. Maybe we'll also have some parties and jam sessions before and/or after the event.
This is going to be great!

EPIC. I can't wait for this event!!!!

jksuperstar

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Any invitations going out to the "industry giants?" It'd be interesting if we got in touch with some of the designers from Clavia, Moog, Dave Smith, Roger Linn, etc.

Thoughts?
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

We have a list of people to invite. Some of them are coincident with your list, some aren't. Thanks for the suggestions. If anyone has anyother ideas, we are of course all ears...
gsga

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
We have a list of people to invite. Some of them are coincident with your list, some aren't. Thanks for the suggestions. If anyone has anyother ideas, we are of course all ears...

How about the people that support the Laptop Battles in Philly?
www.ableton.com
www.groovesmag.com
www.eks.fi
www.drumcore.com
www.springboardmedia.com
Also Philadelphia Weekly and other pubs?

egw
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Good suggestions.
Anyone have a clue about the best way to approach potential sponsors?
Mohoyoho

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I would think all Electronic Music CD labels should have the opportunity to buy space and pedal their wares.
www.cdbaby.com/cd/markmahoney
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck
http://cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck2
http://www.limitedwave.com/subterraneous/
egw
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I agree, vendors of anything of interest to the electronic music community will be welcome. As long as we have the space!
davep

Audio files: 10
G2 patch files: 73

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Howard et al,

Regarding the scheduling, here's something to consider. Find out when the airlines raise their rates for the summer fares, and be sure to schedule the event JUST BEFORE this happens. This can greatly affect attendance among people who have to come from far away, like The Hague & the west coast.

This sounds like a great event, & I'll be there if at all possible. And for anyone who hasn't been to the previous 'Modular Days' in London & The Hague, I highly recommend you make plans to attend this event.

Dave Peck

seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

davep wrote:
be sure to schedule the event JUST BEFORE this happens

it's a very reasonable advice Idea

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks, great suggestion, Dave. I'll call a travel agent and see if there is some good solid information about this,
zynthetix

Audio files: 10
G2 patch files: 13

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

egw wrote:
Good suggestions.
Anyone have a clue about the best way to approach potential sponsors?

For those sponsers in particular, I think you should PM Mike (Mikronesia) and see how those laptop battles/prizes/sponsers were arranged. At the very least, those companies/organizations provided some promotional products for battles I've been too. Maybe they'd be more interested in contributing financially if a large banner/ booth promoting them was included.

If all else fails, send out some e-mails with a pitch of the event....this will have a much larger number of people than a single Philly electronic music gig. If they want exposure, I think they'd be at least interested.
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

davep wrote:
Find out when the airlines raise their rates for the summer fares, and be sure to schedule the event JUST BEFORE this happens.
\

Good idea, but I got the impression that the raised prices are already in effect by the end of may. The cheapest tickets seem to be about 500 euro for a round trip with no stops, including taxes, from Amsterdam. KLM wants more than 2000 btw ... american airlines seem to be cheaper for some reason. British Airways and Lufthansa want you to visit their home land before starting the long trip - but do seem to have reasonably priced flights.

What would be the best airport to travel to - I checked things out for Philadelphia now but there might be airpots nearby that are more suitable ?

Jan.
egw
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Philadelphia is the closest, but Newark is not too far (1.5 hours).
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think that unless you got a MUCH better price to use Newark of if someone you are staying with suggest it, Philadelphia would be the best bet. Of course, if you want to visit NYC after the conference, then Newark would be OK because it is essentially a New York Airport. Avoid JFK at all costs because the traffic is horrible.
Page 1 of 2 [32 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » electro-music.com » electro-music festivals » electro-music 2005
Jump to: