electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
TR-808 Voice STRIP Boards...
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 8 of 12 [278 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 Next
LektroiD

Audio files: 2
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Has anyone done stripbaord layouts of the Clap, Toms, Rim or Clave?
LektroiD

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

On further inspection of the schematic, the Clap may be quite difficult as it requires an obsolete BA662A VCA chip, has anyone reverse engineered this chip?
elmegil

Audio files: 16

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've seen other people making related voice cards for Euro etc use 3080's in place of the BA662s.... Not sure how much other glue circuitry is required though.
LektroiD

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elmegil wrote:
I've seen other people making related voice cards for Euro etc use 3080's in place of the BA662s.... Not sure how much other glue circuitry is required though.

If you manage to find a schematic for any of these clones, that would be great, but I can't seem to work out how? The BA662A has 9 pins (and uses them all), whereas the CA3080 only has 8.

I have been scouring the web for the past couple of days trying to get to the bottom of this problem, without spending out on an obsolete chip for my project (which I could possibly blow whilst experimenting).

The closest I've been was a page about a Stereoping clone, which was based on the MB-808 schematic, and uses the CA3080, but the link to the schematic was dead, and no such schematic seems to appear to be available anywhere...

There was a pinout mapping here, but only mentions 6 pins, and as I've mentioned, all 9 need to be connected.

I feel I'm just chasing my tail. I'm really at a loss with this...

662.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  27.79 KB
 Viewed:  29447 Time(s)

662.jpg

elmegil

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I believe pins 7/8/4 are a buffer like you see on the LM13700 etc. Though obviously a bit different, see below....

This might be an option too?

http://wiki.openmusiclabs.com/wiki/BA662

Has a schematic:
http://wiki.openmusiclabs.com/wiki/BA662?action=AttachFile&do=view&target=ba662_sch.png
elmegil

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey -minus-, did you get credit on this?

http://www.808state.com/forum/topic-3095.html
wackelpeter

Audio files: 10

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've built the Roland 121 VCF on stripboard some time ago and the original layout also featured some of those BA6... OTA. I replaced them with LM13700 and it worked...

The only difference will be the buffer but i have no idea what pin 4 is doing on the BA662...

-minus-

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elmegil wrote:
Hey -minus-, did you get credit on this?

http://www.808state.com/forum/topic-3095.html

I did see that and contacted The Playground. I think it was an honest mistake. They had no idea it was a strip board layout; it was assumed it was a screen grab of a drum pattern. Warren Morris, Director of The Playground was apologetic and actually offered to pay me for the use, which I happily accepted. Smile Nice to see some good people out there! So shines a good deed in a weary World...
elmegil

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That's quite awesome, actually Smile
lysergist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:08 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Someone for the Toms/Claves and Clap ? ^^
elmegil

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The toms ought to be doable, but the problem with the clap is it uses a BA662 OTA that is unobtanium. There is a clone out there you can build with discrete SMT, but I would think that's perhaps overkill.
lysergist

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lol ok i realise i already have the 808 Toms clone, the AteOhAte Toms from Hex-Inverter. I thought it was a different circuit because i'm not satisfied with the sound but i've checked the schematics and it's the same than the original. I guess the major differences are coming from the transistors.

About the clap, the Yocto uses BA6110 instead of BA662. I'll check if i can make a stripboard design based on the yocto schematic, using a BA6110.

Last edited by lysergist on Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:50 pm; edited 3 times in total
lysergist

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've done a stripboard version of the Rimshot/Clave, it worked like a charm at first attempt.
At first attempt i didn't incorporate the red section, it's a muting circuit that allows signal to pass through the opamp only when triggered, it looked optionnal at first, no signal leaking hearable, but when i put the rimshot through an overdrive we could easily hear the noise source. Now i guess that's the utility of the muting circuit, that is not necessary in other voices.
So if you don't have 2SK30A or equivalent you can omit this part (with Q61, C112, C113, R305 and R327), it won't be problematic until you pass your rim through an overdrive.
Here's a short video clip with the rimshot/clave breadboarded. Now the clap and i'm complete !

https://youtu.be/TLfwnosA9js

808 rim.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  76.59 KB
 Viewed:  505 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

808 rim.png

808 Rimshot Clave.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  285.13 KB
 Viewed:  770 Time(s)

808 Rimshot Clave.png

Last edited by lysergist on Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:45 pm; edited 16 times in total
elmegil

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So black is ground and yellow is -V?
lysergist

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, edited. The components are labelled the same as the original Roland schematics to make it more readable. It's very fresh, i hope there's no huge mistake. I'll test it tomorrow.
lysergist

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

"Normally conducting Q74 remains off only while trigger pulse is transferred from Q61 to allow IC 19 to pass signals. The switching is is provided to eliminate noise leaking from IC20 especially for CL - relatively large amount, being wired for high Q."

Ok so this part is not significant and could be easily deleted. I try the stripboard as soon as possible. I've edited the first post, there's a little video clip with the breadboarded rimshot
azot

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi folks! I wonder if anyone tried to implement the closed hat decay mod?
lysergist

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Closed hat decay ? Never seen this mod. By definition the closed hat becomes an open hat if you increases the decay. Do you want your closed hat being an open hat ?
There are some mods here you can check
http://www.e-licktronic.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=143
azot

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

lysergist wrote:
Closed hat decay ? Never seen this mod. By definition the closed hat becomes an open hat if you increases the decay. Do you want your closed hat being an open hat ?
There are some mods here you can check
http://www.e-licktronic.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=143

Thank you! It seems I heard something about this mod before, but now I can not find any mention. Maybe it was about tr-606.
I'm not seeking similarity with original tr-808, I just want to animate CH within the range from very short click to the shortest OH decay without the lose of specific 'choking'. I increased capacity of C63, the discharge cap of envelope-forming Q28, added 100k pot connected to the gnd via 15k resistor in parallel with C63 (see pic). R15 sets the minimum length of decay, capacitance of C63 determines the maximum duration. Value of the pot sets the range of control.

808_CH_decay_mod.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  68.76 KB
 Viewed:  449 Time(s)

808_CH_decay_mod.jpg

lysergist

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok now I know what you mean sorry ! Should be an easy and useful mod !
LektroiD

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

lysergist wrote:
I've done a stripboard version of the Rimshot/Clave, it worked like a charm at first attempt.
I removed the RED part as it wasn't necessary, it's for the mute section.
Here's a short video clip with the rimshot/clave breadboarded. Now the clap and i'm complete !

https://youtu.be/TLfwnosA9js

Do you happen to have a wiring diagram for the switch?

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

lysergist

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hope it's clear, i don't really know all types of switches names, but i can say it's a ON-ON switch. I always test it before soldering.
There's just a little gap of around 1sec when switching from clave to rimshot, i don't know why. I guess this 1 sec latency comes from a charging capacitor. I never tested a true 808 so i can't tell if it's a normal behaviour or not. No latency while switching from rimshot to clave.

808_rimshot_clave_579.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  154.63 KB
 Viewed:  525 Time(s)

808_rimshot_clave_579.png

LektroiD

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

lysergist wrote:
Hope it's clear, i don't really know all types of switches names, but i can say it's a ON-ON switch. I always test it before soldering.
There's just a little gap of around 1sec when switching from clave to rimshot, i don't know why. I guess this 1 sec latency comes from a charging capacitor. I never tested a true 808 so i can't tell if it's a normal behaviour or not. No latency while switching from rimshot to clave.

Thank you so much for this! Switch type is DPDT

lysergist

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok i finished the clap ! Sounds really nice to me. All transistors are BC547/557, i used 2CS945 and 2SA733, but there's no difference in the sound. I used cheap BA6110 i've found on ebay, and they work properly !
Maybe i'll make another version with the CA3080, but a NPN/PNP buffer needs to be added. I have also added two mods, replace R376 (47K) by a 100k pot to control the noise reverb amount, and replace the trimmer by a 10k potentiometer.

EDIT: thanks Peppy for noticing C144 was mounted the wrong way, the layout has been edited

808 Handclap-Maracas.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  599.03 KB
 Viewed:  218 Time(s)

808 Handclap-Maracas.png

Last edited by lysergist on Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:21 pm; edited 10 times in total
elmegil

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So.... I think R368 in your diagram is connected to the wrong side of Q73?

And there are two D68's.... the lower one near Q73 ought to be D70 I believe.
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 8 of 12 [278 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: