electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » electro-music.com » electro-music festivals » electro-music 2005
Pictures
Page 1 of 1 [25 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
zynthetix

Audio files: 10
G2 patch files: 13

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:28 pm    Post subject: Pictures Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm sure there will be a lot of these. I haven't had the time to get all the pictures off my flash card yet and clean some in photoshop, but here are a few for now.

em2005_waveworld00.jpg
 Description:
Wave World
 Filesize:  109.46 KB
 Viewed:  30547 Time(s)

em2005_waveworld00.jpg

em2005_recompas00.jpg
 Description:
recompas
 Filesize:  118.09 KB
 Viewed:  30547 Time(s)

em2005_recompas00.jpg

em2005_electrobunny00.jpg
 Description:
electrobunny with live improv video by vostek
 Filesize:  171.48 KB
 Viewed:  30548 Time(s)

em2005_electrobunny00.jpg

seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

who is this? Mr. Spock playing a a theremin Question Cool

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
Mohoyoho

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That's Harry from Wave World. And he can perform a Mind Meld as well.
www.cdbaby.com/cd/markmahoney
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck
http://cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck2
http://www.limitedwave.com/subterraneous/
egw
Stream Operator

Audio files: 18
G2 patch files: 8

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have hundreds of photos. I'm wondering what will be the best way to post them? Can we make a "gallery" where everyone with photos can put them (with thumbnails and captions)? Or maybe a single person can collect them and construct the gallery?
sbowman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have at least a hundred photos too. And judging by the number of digital cameras that were popping throughout the festival, there must be a hundred images for every event. I also saw lots of people, me included, taking close-ups of the gear.

I suggest a separate section just for photos, and separate threads to organize the photos into categories. Let people do the uploading, though it wouldn't hurt to post uploading instructions. Maybe assign a moderator to keep tabs on the photos and create thumbs.

Possible categories: Gear, People, Performances (maybe organized by event or by day), Sparky, and Other.

I think it's worth the effort to do this right, not only for the enjoyment and reminiscing of people who were there, but also to entice all those people who should have been there but weren't to attend Electro-Music 2006. Same goes for posting some MP3's of the performances.

Steve
cebec

Audio files: 3
G2 patch files: 31

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i agree. i think it can be done right. i saw people taking mad numbers of pictures all throughout. i'd really like to see what i missed, too, and this event really deserves to be shown in all its glory.
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

We can do that. We have bandwidth and servers available. We also have a media asset db thingie up our sleeve now. That one could be used for handling the fullsized pics. I gotta talk with Howard about this.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
cebec

Audio files: 3
G2 patch files: 31

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i saw some people making audio and video recordings, too... is any of this going to be available? obviously some of the longer, more artist-specific material won't be, but brief samples of some of the performances and talks or just any sonic debris would be cool to have online.
egw
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I believe we have recordings of everything.
Also there were some videos and interviews, I don't know exactly what.
We will put up a bunch of mp3s and will also begin working on one or more compilation CDs. There may also be a video documentary.
Mohoyoho

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'll start working on the video interviews in the next day or two. I'll make them as wmv files.
spanky

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mohoyoho wrote:
I'll start working on the video interviews in the next day or two. I'll make them as wmv files.

W00T! I'm really looking forward to that! Very Happy
zynthetix

Audio files: 10
G2 patch files: 13

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yeah, a big php gallery would do the trick...maybe organized chronologically? some cameras have nice file-name protocol for that.

I got this in an e-mail from jason begin:
jason begin wrote:

I just posted all my photos from electro-music 2005 on our site:

www.g25productions.com

(images section.)

videos coming soon!

_jason
djfoxyfox
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

egw wrote:
I have hundreds of photos. I'm wondering what will be the best way to post them? Can we make a "gallery" where everyone with photos can put them (with thumbnails and captions)? Or maybe a single person can collect them and construct the gallery?
Before my PC died*, I made a CDR, organized by day and by act in the theater, and gave it to Howard, mostly because I only have 56k dial-up and no software to generate the web pages to organize and display them. I know that there are a few duds that will need a little TLC to make them viewable, but the short movie clips should help people get a little feel of the great talent that graced the stage. I hope that Howard can get these into a gallery soon.

(*VFAT is missing or unavailable!!)

Cheers,

--|_)| -----|-----()---------------------
-----------()----soundscapes.us/bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OK, I think a picture gallery would be great. I can't see organizing the pics by anything other than picture takers though. It would just get too complicated to try organize them by gear, or artist, or whatever.

I have written softare that automatically makes photo galleries on the server. It would be nice to use it because all of the collections of the pics would have the same look and feel. Thumbnails would be the same and the navigation method would be the same etc.

There are two way to post the pictures, FTP and CDRs that are mailed to me.
I'll talk to Elecktro80 about the ftp route. We may be able to give people temporary ftp accounts. This of course won't work too well for people with dialups. So if you want your pics posted - we'd all love to seem them - please burn them to a CDR and mail them to me.

Howard Moscovitz
944 Flexer Ave.
Allentown, PA 18103
USA

Any other suggestions appreciated. I agree, we should do this right. Very Happy

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
egw
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Howard, I can give you a CD. But what if we want to add captions?
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I can add captions to the gallery. It would be very easy if you could include an ASCII (text) file in this format:

IMG_00324.JPG Bill standing on his head.
IMG_00325.JPG Tom playing the MOOG.

The first field (word) is the name of the image file and the rest of the line is the caption. There should be one like per picture for which you want a caption. The file name is case-sensitive (case must match the file name exactly).

It's best if the pictures are reduced to about 700 pixels wide. I'll make the thumbnails. I'll create a directory for pictures from the event and have subdirectories for everyone's pictures. The format will be similar to this page
http://electro-music.com/images/TheHague2004/

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Idea:
We might also want to collect picture files with large resolution. The press might want those. We really should create some archives suitable for the press. This also means we need to collect metadata.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
egw
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Let's identify the pictures we like the best and collect hi-res versions of them, maybe put them on a CD.
LRAB

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey all,

Yeah somewhere to collate all images would be good - im also mid editing a condensed weekend video for my site, if there was space anywhere for it its looking funny ! I also got my set mixed down now with live cheers and all lol -can send to Howard or anyone else who's interested?! have some wicked pics of cliffs visuals for my set too - he did a damn good job!!
Nick (Bunny)
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just put up some pics at http://84.84.192.7/em2005/ , not many, none from performances as I think that is covered pretty well by others, just some things I noticed with my eu-eyes at or related to the event. No titles or text either, just images, but I thought some might like a few.

Jan.
mtvic

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 7:12 am    Post subject: Nice Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Jan
Nice pics
Who slept in the Monster tent?
mtvic
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Nice Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Michael Victor wrote:

Who slept in the Monster tent?

It didn't look like a tent to me, more like an inflatable car, and it was HUGE. Greg's neighbours had it in their garden and I guessed I'd only see such a thing once in my life and in one country in the entire world only ... so I really had to trap some of the photons scatered off by it.

(and I'm glad our event was nothing like that car at all :-)

Jan.
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

egw wrote:
I have hundreds of photos.

sbowman wrote:
I have at least a hundred photos too.

Look I know I wasn't at the conference (although I would have liked to have been), but as an ex-fleet street photojournalist and more recently picture editor for a small west midlands magazine publishing group here in the UK I feel I should point out that if you want to make this sort of event be seen by a lot more people you need to edit your photos down to around 3 to 5 pictures per submission- that you are really happy with.

Yeah I know 3 to 5 dosen't sound like very many, but when you have collective submissions of say 15 sources, thats still 75 to look at- which is still an awful lot- especially if you are hoping to attract others to future events.

Leave out sentimental pictures and ones which are badly framed/ exposed and have big areas of one colour dominating the frame (red is a classic one). The backs of peoples heads, ones which are just too experimental for their own good etc etc. Pictures really need to tell a story and have strong composition. (I know there are quite a few people on this forum with an excellent eye for a good picture too!)

There is nothing more boring than having to wade through hundreds of photos which are taken in the same building at the same event at the same time. So do your own editing work as if you don't you could end up pushing Howard into early retirement! ;)

As for viewing them, I've started to play around with a program called 'Shutterbug' (a 'wysiwyg' program for the Mac) which is really nice and easy to use. I'm sure that there are many out there for PC too. (but I'm sure people know this already- so apologies for my ignorance :) )

I'm really looking forward to viewing what you decide to use :-)

regards,

Tom
Mohoyoho

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

As a former picture editor of 15 years, here is my take:

Basically there are three types of photos: There are snapshots and there are informative, editorial pictures. Thirdly there is art. Sometimes a picture can fall in two or more categories.

For those who were at the event any and all pix are a joy to look at. It's like a family member looking at a family scrapbook. Composition, technique and info are irrelevant.

For those who weren't there then they would prefer the well composed, informative pix. An arty pic is always a welcomed bonus. Frivolous, repetitive pix would probably not be of much interest.

But, I was there and I fall into the first category. I would love to see as many pix as can be displayed.

djfoxyfox
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
This also means we need to collect metadata.
I'm familiar with the META tags in HTML code so I have an inkling of what you mean. But perhaps it would be best if you would define exactly what kind of data you think should be collected.

Cheers,

--|_)| -----|-----()---------------------
-----------()----soundscapes.us/bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Page 1 of 1 [25 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » electro-music.com » electro-music festivals » electro-music 2005
Jump to: