electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
DS 7 clone
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 13 of 19 [453 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 Next
umschmitt

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

creekree,

de nada.
Glad to see it has been useful for somebody. (yes the LFO shape mod isn't even electronics !)
Besides I'd be curious to hear it live ! Sag Bescheid !

dubdummies

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for sharing this, this forum is incredible!
Im a little bit newbie.. xpmtl do you have the schematics of this AK-47?
This is the whoe clone of the Ds-8? or just a mod?
Thanks a lot! im looking foward to make one..

xpmtl wrote:
umschmitt wrote:
Hey. No happy DS-8 owners passing by… Ready for some reverse engineering ? The 741 is obviously in the middle, and I guess the transistors are top left (solder side). Good luck !

I've reversed engineered that thing a while ago, so here's the pcb foil redrawn in Illustrator and the component placing + bom. I built two of those from this document so it should be working Wink

Enjoy,

X
dubdummies

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Pehr wrote:
Trimlog has lots of CA3080E here, I've ordered a few from there. Trimlog is probably gonna close or they are going to sell it, I dunno... I do know that they have a sale Very Happy

Hi there, a question, if you use the CA3080E u have to change the pcb? or is the same size of the CA3080A? read that the sizes are different, even the material... how did you dealed with that?
feggster

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:51 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dubdummies, all the info is in the thread Smile

but if you are using the ak47 project, a ca3080e is what you need.
if you go for uncle krunkus stripboard layout it uses lm13700 instead.
there is also a project by dnny that usues lm13700.
hope this helps.
dubdummies

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

feggster wrote:
dubdummies, all the info is in the thread Smile

but if you are using the ak47 project, a ca3080e is what you need.
if you go for uncle krunkus stripboard layout it uses lm13700 instead.
there is also a project by dnny that usues lm13700.
hope this helps.

Thanks Feggster! im going with the ca3080e...
As i told im NEW with this, there is a couple of things that i dont understand from the AK-47 proyect... where is the power supply??
thanks!
umschmitt

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The power source is drawn in the connections' diagram of the AK47, top left. V is for… V+ (8+V expected here ; IC1 is a regulator delivering a stable 5V), while U stands for ground.
dubdummies

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks a loooooooot!! Embarassed
xpmtl

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dubdummies wrote:

Don't have the schematics of that thing as I've just redrawn the pcbs of a friend's DS8. It's not a mod. Other than some capacitors change it's exactly a DS8. I've put the two original boards on one pcb to make it simpler for me as I didn't want to use on board pots. Free to you to separate the boards again and mount the pots where they originally were.

x.

feggster

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

needing some help here! I built uncle krunkus's strip board dual ds-7
and it's not working! reading through the entire thread I'm not able to verify anyone else has built a working unit from this layout. I have triple checked my build, getting 5v to all ic's. all the cuts and wire links check out...
I get continuous noise from both outputs, the pots alter this, I have a piezo in the trigger input that does not affect the noise as it should also the trigger pot does alters the noise pitch?.

anyone got any ideas?

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
dubdummies

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

[/quote]

Don't have the schematics of that thing as I've just redrawn the pcbs of a friend's DS8. It's not a mod. Other than some capacitors change it's exactly a DS8. I've put the two original boards on one pcb to make it simpler for me as I didn't want to use on board pots. Free to you to separate the boards again and mount the pots where they originally were.

x.[/quote]

Thanks a lot for your answer your work is incredible...
Im already doing it, its my first DIY so im really glad..
3 questions, R37 is not in the component listing.. witch one is?
Q3 and Q4 are also BC547?
And the last one, i really cant find the 2M Lin pot, can i repleace it with another one?

Thanks!!!!!
xpmtl

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dubdummies wrote:

3 questions, R37 is not in the component listing.. witch one is?
Q3 and Q4 are also BC547?
And the last one, i really cant find the 2M Lin pot, can i repleace it with another one?

R37 is 10K
Q3, Q4 are BC547
As for the 2M pot, i don't know, you can try with a 1M or wait an answer from someone who knows something about electronics Embarassed

I've corrected the pdf with the pot names on the pcb, so you can see what pot does what.

Cheers,

dubdummies

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks a looott!! hands to work right now! will post some examples when its done! Very Happy
dubdummies

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

xpmtl wrote:
dubdummies wrote:

x.

I have a problem here! I got only noise audio out... ive checked everything and its on the right place...
Also replace the R10 and R21 to 1M instead 10M.. and R14 for 47k instead 4k7.... ive done that checking the Bareille schematic....

Seems like VCO not working... any ideas??
Thanks!
xpmtl

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Don't change the values of the resistors before the usual check for solder bridges, continuity test. I don't think Marc's schematic is the same circuit.
dubdummies

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yes u r right, anyway nothing happened... and not having the schematics for that board now is impossible to see whats going on... Sad
Is the same that happened to Joshco and Tokiomatik just noise volume decay and noise filter working here.. Sad
xpmtl

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i'll try to redraw the schematics from my working coron clone this week. Your problem is kinda odd as i've made mine from this document.

anyways, give me a few days..

dubdummies

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks a lot!!!!
xpmtl

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

here you are, hope it helps you solve your problems

Coron_DS8.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Coron_DS8.pdf
 Filesize:  23.97 KB
 Downloaded:  1114 Time(s)

Last edited by xpmtl on Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
dubdummies

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

GENIUS!!! thanks a lot!! have a lot of work for a showcase tomorrow.. so gonna have a look on sunday... once again thanks!!!!
feggster

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

would like to find out how you get on Dubdummies, if you get it working.
I'm gonna scrap my stripboard build (for now!) and have a go at xpmtl's version (thanks again for that )
ericcoleridge

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I apologize in advance if this has been addressed already-- but, this is a reaaaaally long topic.

I built two DS7s using the layout posted here for the dual DS_7 w 13700 dual OTA.

Can anyone tell me where the best place is to try inserting a noise source? I would be sending it through a volume pot-- for which I'm also not sure how to ascertain the value (other than just trying a few different values).

I believe I have already tried inserting noise at R21, and generally around the non-inverting input of one OTA.

For some reason this didn't seem to work that well-- it didn't mix well with the VCO signal-- it seemed like it was amplitude modulating the VCO perhaps-- which is not what I want. There's a video posted by Thomas White of his Marc Bareille DS8, and I think his sounds quite good for hats/cymbals with the noise source and frequency modulated VCO. This is what I'm hoping to achieve-- but using a DS7 that I've already built.

[url][/url]
dubdummies

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

feggster wrote:
would like to find out how you get on Dubdummies, if you get it working.
I'm gonna scrap my stripboard build (for now!) and have a go at xpmtl's version (thanks again for that )

For the moment im bad! i tried everithing but it sill working only noise... mabybe i had some really newby problem here... i think im gonna start all over again.. at the first place the pcb was really clean and well drawn out... now after so many soldering a and desoldering is a really big mess...

I think for my very first DIY proyect i got really far!

Im gonna start again and post my advances...
I wanted the DS-8 because it has noise, so more flexible...
Also gonna start a EHX Super Space Drum clone i´ve found in other forum...
The last weekend a friend of mine arrived whith an original one, and also the other model, i cant remember the name, the cymbal one... oh my god they are amazing!!!

So i cant wait to do my own!
richardc64

Audio files: 26

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ericcoleridge wrote:
Can anyone tell me where the best place is to try inserting a noise source? I would be sending it through a volume pot-- for which I'm also not sure how to ascertain the value (other than just trying a few different values).

The value of the pot isn't as important as value of the resistor you connected to the wiper. Did you have one there?

Quote:
I believe I have already tried inserting noise at R21, and generally around the non-inverting input of one OTA.

For some reason this didn't seem to work that well--

It should have. Take a look at the DS8 schematic.

ericcoleridge

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

richardc64 wrote:

The value of the pot isn't as important as value of the resistor you connected to the wiper. Did you have one there?

I did look at the DS8 schem for guidance, but I don't remember if I used a wiper resistor. i'll have to look. Do you know off hand what value range one would want to try? I feel like there was a 100k resistor sending the Noise to the OTA in the DS8. I'll have to try that.

Quote:
I believe I have already tried inserting noise at R21, and generally around the non-inverting input of one OTA. For some reason this didn't seem to work that well--
richardc64 wrote:
It should have. Take a look at the DS8 schematic.

i'll try it again. Thanks very much. I'm hoping to salvage something from this circuit. i'm not that happy with the sound yet-- but I do like those bassy-mid-range hat noise sounds that TW gets in his vid.
chguigoz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:39 am    Post subject: AK47 Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

xpmtl wrote:
here you are, hope it helps you solve your problems

Hello all.
I realized the Ak47 and I have not got it to work properly yet.
The biggest problem comes from the noise generator.
There is a big buzz and I don't understand how he can work while the load resistance of BC547 as a source of noise is only 330 ohms!
Usually, we use a load resistance between 10 and 100 kilo ohms. (see photo)
I have a better result by removing the transistor ... Noise is therefore the second transistor!
I have a question:
What effect has the switch LFO?

Thank you !

noise_example.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  20.74 KB
 Viewed:  24890 Time(s)

noise_example.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 13 of 19 [453 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: