electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
2015 Build Pictures
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 5 of 6 [136 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Next
PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Shock_Hazard wrote:
Some great stuff (like the fantastic synth in the previous post) seems to be getting lost in these annual threads, it deprives the forum of new threads and subsequent discussion by confining things to one thread.

I somewhat agree but I think that if everybody would make a new thread for each build things would actually get lost in it must faster.
Not that I would mind if there was a seperate thread with more info for every thing posted, but this one functions as a nice overview
and I always love these threads to get some inspiration. Personally I do often make a seperate thread with more info and than link
it from this one. (which I will also be doing with the next thing I'll be posting here shortly).

btw, lot's of great build in this thread as always, keep up the good work! Razz

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Gman wrote:
Hey guys!

welcome

good looking that synth .. ar you sure it is a first one Wink

Gman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:

welcome

good looking that synth .. ar you sure it is a first one Wink

Thanks! Ok, my first synth was a circuit bend a few months ago but this is my first analog modular synth Smile
PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:22 am    Post subject: Skrogger Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I finished the Skrogger, a simple Lunetta synth made with some chips and switches that Dave (skrog productions) send me. Razz
more info and photos can be found here.

Skrogger - 13.jpg
 Description:
Skrogger
 Filesize:  92.85 KB
 Viewed:  435 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

Skrogger - 13.jpg

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Shock_Hazard

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

PHOBoS wrote:
Personally I do often make a seperate thread with more info and then link it from this one.

Maybe that should be encouraged as the "done thing": post some photos in this thread, like an index of creations, but have more info & discussion in a separate thread linked from each post. That way there can be more details and more activity and more everything for each person's devices Smile
kkissinger

Audio files: 42

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:25 am    Post subject: Repairs to my Aries Power Supply Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

One of the advantages of DIY is that one learns how to repair one's own equipment. My vintage Aries power supply still works to spec. Over the years I've had to replace the filter capacitors and the +15v rectifier and voltage regulator (my most recent repair). Attached are photographs with comments about the power supply and repairs.

The NTE1916 is the replacement Voltage Regulator. The pins (underneath) are not centered, thus the part can only mount in one direction. When I first installed this regulator, it didn't work. Then I looked and noticed that the labeling is "upside down" compared to the original. I checked the datasheet and confirmed that the pins were reversed! A quick swap on the pin connections did the trick.

The original Aries had two serious and hazardous design issues: 1) The mains voltage ran through an exposed fuse holder and, 2) the mains voltage ran through a front-panel mounted toggle switch. My solution was to do away with the power switch (it does not really need one anyway) and to replace the exposed fuse holder with a panel mount style holder.

While I have replaced this power supply with MFOS power supplies, this power supply will live on as a bench power supply (+15, -15, and +5 volts) and a backup power supply (just in case!).

AriesPowerSupply1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  852.14 KB
 Viewed:  424 Time(s)

AriesPowerSupply1.jpg

AriesPowerSupply3.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  742.89 KB
 Viewed:  400 Time(s)

AriesPowerSupply3.jpg

AriesPowerSupply2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  854.51 KB
 Viewed:  426 Time(s)

AriesPowerSupply2.jpg

analogmonster

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:06 am    Post subject: Re: Repairs to my Aries Power Supply Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

kkissinger wrote:
The NTE1916 is the replacement Voltage Regulator. The pins (underneath) are not centered, thus the part can only mount in one direction. When I first installed this regulator, it didn't work. Then I looked and noticed that the labeling is "upside down" compared to the original. I checked the datasheet and confirmed that the pins were reversed! A quick swap on the pin connections did the trick.

Oh yes, I had the same problem with my 2n3055 power trannies in my Formant modular power supply. I had asked my local parts dealer how to connect them and he gave me a wrong pinout. I did not check the datasheet and finished the PSU. Unfortunately the PSU worked Shocked The output power was reduced and the output voltage had a kind of saw overtone, but this effect occured later when I added more and more modules. It took a long time for me to find that error Sad
Modorange

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Kevin! What made you decide to replace the PS with a new one? Also you did away with the front panel/switch. Does it simply power up when plugged in, or does your new power supply have a switch? I plan on learning as much as I can from you. As stated on my introduction post, I have a recent Aries addition to my synth-family. The power supply was off on the positive side, I replaced the regulator and it is working now, albeit not exactly 15, it is around 15.2+ VDC.. The - is at around -15.02. Also, I have been guessing what the +5 is supplied for? Is it for the osc CV outs on the keyboard? Thanks, John C. in Norman OK
MoonBase 69

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No matter how ugly the new baby really is you have to show it off.
Over a year of messing about finally have something that makes musical type noise. It didn't help I ended up putting it aside for a bit in frustration then finding out the problem was bad IC's. Got the basics done can move on to more interesting stuff to add as well as putting it all in some kind of enclosure.
XR2206 VCO, Yu Synth ADSR, MFOS keyboard controller, working on a VCA this evening. The keyboard is from an old Lowery organ a friend junked.

DSC_0141.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  655.57 KB
 Viewed:  349 Time(s)

DSC_0141.JPG

kkissinger

Audio files: 42

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Modorange wrote:
Hi Kevin! What made you decide to replace the PS with a new one? Also you did away with the front panel/switch. Does it simply power up when plugged in, or does your new power supply have a switch? I plan on learning as much as I can from you. As stated on my introduction post, I have a recent Aries addition to my synth-family. The power supply was off on the positive side, I replaced the regulator and it is working now, albeit not exactly 15, it is around 15.2+ VDC.. The - is at around -15.02. Also, I have been guessing what the +5 is supplied for? Is it for the osc CV outs on the keyboard? Thanks, John C. in Norman OK

The reasons that I replaced it was because I already had all the parts for a new (higher-capacity) power supply. I believe the Aries Power supply was a bit challenged to drive all the modules that I added over the years. Also, I really need a bench power supply and the old power supply is more than adequate for that. The new power supply is lighter, too. Incidentally, I am using the MFOS 3 Amp power supply -- I now have two of them in my synthesizer. Indeed, I don't have an on/off switch -- I just plug into a power strip that has a switch. I'd like to add a power switch at some point but it isn't really high-priority.

fonik

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i built a nice random*source PSU for myself, eventually (for 4U/Serge Systems).

oldmanfury

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:54 pm    Post subject: My many-year project finally complete
Subject description: The Furious Microtemporal Programmer / Sequencer
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Came up with the idea behind this 6 or 7 years ago, started building / designing it 2 years ago, and finally finished it!

-gerald

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

http://www.matrixsynth.com/2015/08/furious-microtemporal-programmer.html

IMAG2509.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  2.35 MB
 Viewed:  201 Time(s)

IMAG2509.jpg

elmegil

Audio files: 16

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Shocked

That's amazing.

You now have to tell us what all it does! Smile
oldmanfury

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elmegil wrote:
Shocked
You now have to tell us what all it does! Smile

There's a video in the matrixsynth link I sent before. It is a standard (Serge style) programmer sequencer touch keyboard beast, with a custom "variable note length" mode that takes in an analog waveform and sets note lengths based on windowed comparators.

More details:

Core boards
Catgirl Synth “Serge” style touch keyboard / programmer sequencer.
CGS86/87 16-pad set
4 CGS94 “pot carriers”
CGS62 slope detector

Custom boards
Arduino / hacked Narbotic Midivox MIDI clock divider / synced LFO generator
Quad gated comparators to enable step mutes by turning each pot to “zero”
16 stacked windowed comparators to enable continuously variable note lengths i.e. “microtemporal” and microtonal sequencing.

The ribbon goes to an Appendage (hiding just behind the beast).

[/b]

Untitled presentation.jpg
 Description:
Schematic of the "stacked comparator" triggering scheme.
 Filesize:  39.86 KB
 Viewed:  190 Time(s)

Untitled presentation.jpg

oldmanfury

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

fonik wrote:
i built a nice random*source PSU for myself, eventually (for 4U/Serge Systems).

Absolutely beautiful.
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

oldmanfury wrote:
16 stacked windowed comparators to enable continuously variable note lengths i.e. “microtemporal” and microtonal sequencing.

That looks interesting Cool

heh, sorry, actually the whole device looks very nice, but this part drew my attention .. as in .. would like to try something like that for my own synth.

How does it work exactly?

I get the microtemporal bit from the drawing, but it is not clear to me where tonal information comes from.

A quick sketch here looked like Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen. here, thought it might be nice to have a selection for the trigger outs to go to one out of three outs.

oldmanfury

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:01 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:

How does it work exactly?

I get the microtemporal bit from the drawing, but it is not clear to me where tonal information comes from.

The top four rows are all CV knobs. There are three jacks to the right of each output - Out (pitch, or whatever CV), Mix (gets mixed with Out - good for making arpeggiators), and Gate. Gate sends a pulse for every step that isn't dialed to zero.

The bottom (fifth) row is the "note length" microtemporal row. It compares any input waveform to voltage windows set by each knob. When the analog input is within a window, it sends a trigger to the corresponding step - just like tapping one of the touch keyboard pads. A sawtooth will trigger the steps sequentially - other waveforms, not so much.

Watch a video on a serge programmer/sequencer to get a better feel for the basic functionality - any stage can be triggered at any point.

Hope that makes sense?
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

oldmanfury wrote:
Hope that makes sense?

I think it did Laughing

Thanks!

Gman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is my 2nd modular I'm working on. Inspired by the Moog System 35. The panels are 8.75"x2" and the cabinet is 4ft wide, so pretty close to Moog specs. All the circuits were hand soldered on breadboard and the Aluminum panels were spray painted black, sorry no labels, I know what everything does so that's all that matters, plus it still looks cool this way.

13 completed modules so far:
3x Thomas Henry 555 VCOs
3x Mixers
2x Yusynth VCAs
1x Yusynth Steiner VCF
1x Yusynth MiniMoog clone filter (How could I not??)
1x Dual Thomas Henry LFO
1x Triple Thomas Henry AR generator
1x Multiples

Almost half way complete but I'm away at school and won't be able to work on it for a while unfortunately. I completed all this in about 7 weeks during the summer. I spent more money on better parts and had more patience so this is a huge improvement in quality over my first system so far.

dougseidel

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi there - what are those nice boards you are using?
I like the no labels thing - very nice

Gman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dougseidel wrote:
Hi there - what are those nice boards you are using?
I like the no labels thing - very nice

Those are breadboards from adafruit. They are a bit more expensive but they are great quality, no lifted pads or anything.
http://www.adafruit.com/products/591
AlanP

Audio files: 41

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mmm. This is one of those really boring sounding modules that add a lot to a patch. Yusynth Gated Slew. Everything I've built by Yves Usson is utterly amazing.

The panel is a 3mm mirrored plastic that my panel man, Rullywow found. Beautiful! It looks a lot nicer in real life, mirrored stuff is annoying to photograph.

Only part I'm annoyed with is the pot. I'm tempted to do a v0.2 layout with a 16mm pot (but the same pot/jack/switch layout, so I can keep that beautiful panel with the new layout!)
LFLab

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice!
Yeah those pots, aren't the greatest, I wonder if you can get a different pot in that space though, maybe one of the Alpha 9mm ones with bushing? Hole diameter will need to be something like 7mm I believe.
prgdeltablues

Audio files: 12

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Latest build - a four 40106 drone module by PhoBoS, with a few mods, chiefly adding in an external CV input for the PWM, which allows control by an LFO or any other CV source. I also added extra caps on a switch to give a range of low-pass filter options on the output.

The things in black insulating tape are home-rolled vactrols.

Peter

Droner front panel.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.37 MB
 Viewed:  214 Time(s)

Droner front panel.jpg

Droner circuit board.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.59 MB
 Viewed:  210 Time(s)

Droner circuit board.jpg

prgdeltablues

Audio files: 12

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

And that completed the fourth cabinet in my modular synth. Time to stop.... nah, time to build the fifth cabinet!

Psynth four cabinets.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.94 MB
 Viewed:  264 Time(s)

Psynth four cabinets.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 5 of 6 [136 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: